eye injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everybody,here is my question,i returned from a liveaboard (red sea)in september,all ok,5 days later i woke up with a shadow over my vision,2 3rds of my sight had gone,carried on working for 4 days then went to casualty,told i had a detached retina,had surgery 7 days later,another op the regas the eye 3 weeks after that,still no sight,got another op today ,silicone oil being put in eye,was told i can still go diving but worried about losing sight in other eye,would my injury have anything to do with diving,never heard of it before,was told that the jel that hols the retina in olace had liquified and that it just happens and they dont know why,any help most appreciated,Paul

Paul,

I'm very sorry to hear about your injury. I can't personally speak to what the causes may have been (although I have a couple of suspicions, they would be complete guesses). I would recommend calling DAN. even if you aren't a member, they will still give you advise. I would also recommend getting in touch with an Ophthalmologist who understands diving and possible diving related injuries to the eye. Lastly, I would message the moderator of this forum and ask that this thread be moved to the health section. Best of luck!

Kristopher

diver paul, it's unlikely that diving had anything to do with your injury. The eye is a fluid-filled space, so there really aren't any pressure-related issues with it. Retinal detachments CAN be caused by head trauma or concussion, so if you were being badly banged around on a small boat, that might have contributed, but the majority are due to degenerative changes within the vitreous humor.

I'm sorry about your injury, but I don't think you need to worry about the other eye from a diving standpoint. But a good examination by an ophthalmologist to make sure there is no pathology in the other eye would certainly be in order.

...worried about losing sight in other eye,would my injury have anything to do with diving,....Paul

Sorry to hear that, Paul.

Scuba per se neither causes nor contributes to retinal detachment in a normal eye. Given adequate reattachment & no further problems or issues, most divers can return to diving in about 2-months.

However, a history retinal detachment in one eye is a clear risk factor for detachment in the other. As such, the earlier recommendations for a proper ophthalmological evaluation of the presently unaffected eye appears prudent.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice.

Diver Paul,

Are you myopic (nearsighted)? This condition represents an elevated risk factor for retinal detachment or tears. Vitreous liquification is a normal part of the aging process. If this occurs unevenly it can produce localized stress on the retina and cause detachments or tears.

The ultimate outcome of your surgery can take a long time (months) to be fully realized. The most important factors are whether your fovea (central vision zone) detached and if your retinal blood circulation was maintained. You should discuss this with your doctor.

The most important lesson to be learned from your plight, is that if any one notices sudden changes in the visual field of either eye, they should see an eye doctor ASAP. Such changes are not trivial and can represent a serious threat to one's vision. Shadows, spots, flashes of light or a sudden haziness or loss of vision can be signs of trouble. The sooner you obtain treatment, the better your chance of saving your sight.

The most important lesson to be learned from your plight, is that if any one notices sudden changes in the visual field of either eye, they should see an eye doctor ASAP. Such changes are not trivial and can represent a serious threat to one's vision. Shadows, spots, flashes of light or a sudden haziness or loss of vision can be signs of trouble. The sooner you obtain treatment, the better your chance of saving your sight.

That deserved repeating.

thanks everyone for your replies,although the consultant said i can still dive i still feel the need to get as much imfo as possible,the gel that holds the retina in place liqufied,they say they dont know why it happens but more to do with age,im 52,so far 1st op to repeir the retina,2nd op was to regas as the 1st op didnt work,3rd op last week was to put silicon oil still a bit painfull,thanks again everyone,all comments welcome,cheers

I'm still diving even though recovering from a ruptured left cornea (Corneal Hydrops) for six months now; the choice was to currently cancel my Chuuk/Vanuatu Trip and have a corneal transplant graft.

(Decided to forgo the surgery and go on vacation instead --I have a visual field now approx 70% of normal)

My Ophthalmologist/Corneal Surgeon says cumulative diving pressure effects together with inert gas loading could have contributed to the rupture of Descemet's Membrane --but it was due to happen anyway because of age & underlying Keratoconus condition with corneal thinning.

Take care diver Paul --you have my sincerest deepest empathy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom