ultrasonic cleaner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie712

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got the harbour freight 2.5l ultrasonic cleaner and was going to try it out on some valves I picked up second hand. I took the manifold off and inside where the plugs go looks like a very tiny bit of corrosion on the inside (small looking salt grain) before I over hauled them I wanted to do a good cleaning, what is the best media to use and for how long

Diluted GMC Regulator Cleaner (GMC #43190) or Hydrosonic Cleaner (GMC #43101 or plain white vinegar.

How long should I run the cleaner and do I need to use simple green after a vinegar bath

For great info, see this link http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/459041-cleaning-solution.html

Take special note of Rsingler's post #6 regarding an alternative to vinegar/water (should be 50/50 if you're going that route.) After a good scrubbing with soapy water-then use your acid/water bath (heat helps the US process.) Next, I like to give the parts a soak for 3-5 min in a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid bath. Finally, a good rinse to remove to baking soda bath.

Your question re the length of time to let the parts sit in the US cleaner is a good one. The power of these machines varies greatly, and a US cleaner especially with an acid solution, can remove chrome along with the unwanted material. Therefore, check early, (after 1 min) check often until you have the results you are looking for. As you get to know your machine better, you can make adjustments to the amount of treatment time required.

BTW I've been using homemade LFW since I read Rsingler's post and I'm very pleased with the results. I use a 5% phosphoric acid solution. You can purchase 85% on eBay and dilute it. 950 ml of 85 Food Grade Phosphoric Acid | eBay

Couv

I usually run mine with a splash of dawn for the max time on the timer with heat, that usually get most of the gunk out and certainly helps loosen it if it is particularly bad. Next bath is mostly water with a splash of vinegar. Seems to be a bit more mild and less grumpy if you leave it in too long, then a run with baking soda to neutralize everything. I will put the baking soda straight into the vinegar bath and let it go until it stops fizzing, add a bit more and run it for another 6-8 minutes. Regulator housings go in the dishwasher to clean them off and if they have any metal bits they'll go for a run in vinegar, mainly housings like the Jetstream that have the metal inserts that tend to accumulate salt pretty heavily

shouldn't be any need, water and white vinegar will clean damn near anything off of it, and if you have to scrub just add a little simple green and it'll be O2 cleaned to boot. Not sure how the ammo cleaner works for that and unsure of the chemicals, so I wouldn't bother.

I keep 2 ultrasonics. One has a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. The other has some simple crystal in it. Don't leave things in the vinegar solution for too long at any time or it will start to eat the chrome. Soak it for a while, then brush it, then repeat. After the corrosion is gone, rinse it and throw it in the soap solution for a quick cycle to remove any grease residue. I don't bother with the expensive cleaners like Global.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom