maintaining tapered filter on first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmys

Reaction score
I have a mares V32 first stage and the filter is a little rusty (green particles). I wanna change it by myself. does anyone has the pdf file for all first stage service manual?
thanks
I found the file just now

my dive shop instructor wants me to turn my reg in for service, but i dun wanna pay servicing fees since i have just had this reg for a few months. Is there anything I should be careful with when changing the filter?

I'd be concerned with where the green particles came from.

there is actually corrosion. apparently I did not fasten my dust cap (on the first stage) as tight as i can so some water got in and caused the filter to corrode.
I just neeed some advice on how to actually change the filter by myself. If i can't, i guess i ll just leave it for servicing.
but thanks for your imput buddy

you may be able to soak it in vinegar or something, it may just be corrosion

probably best to find a clean new one

jimmys:
there is actually corrosion. apparently I did not fasten my dust cap (on the first stage) as tight as i can so some water got in and caused the filter to corrode.
I just neeed some advice on how to actually change the filter by myself. If i can't, i guess i ll just leave it for servicing.
but thanks for your imput buddy

In that case, your tech is probably correct. If the corrosion on the filter is from water in the 1st stage, them it surely also penetrated further in. As long as the filter is stopping dirt and passing gas, it is not a big problem. But corrosion on sealing surfaces inside the 1st stage can be a problem.

thats awsome. i guess there isn't really much difficulty to replace that filter. my first stage did not come with a kit, where else would i get one? any diveshop?

*Most* dive shops won't be willing to sell you a kit, though some may sell you just the filter.
As already mentioned, if you have corrosion on the filter it may well be cause for concern that saltwater isn't making mischief inside your 1st stage.
See: ComDive's ScubaStore for Mares kits.
They're one of the few reg mfgrs that allow kit sales to the owners.

hey bob, are you saying that besides the filter, inside of my first stage is also corroded?
btw, the filter is not universal is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom