First stage got wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maudiver216

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm ashamed of what happened but here it goes. So I decided to dunk my regulator in a rinse tank with the dust cap on. When I removed it, I uncovered the first stage and noticed that it was a bit wet. I let it air out for a few days but the "filter" (not sure what the correct term is for the component) looks dark on the side where it got wet. It's not corroded - yet. Question is: Now what? Do I have to get it serviced at the shop again?

Thanks

Short of having the reg overhauled, you could hook it up to a tank and blast some compressed air through it to get rid of any residual moisture (hold down the purges on the second stages). If you like, you can take the second stages off and really blow it out. Secure the ends of the hoses as they can whip around and do some damage.

If it "looks dark" you may have something growing in there. I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and get it disassembled and cleaned. It's just one stage and you don't need any new parts so it shouldn't be that expensive.

Short of having the reg overhauled, you could hook it up to a tank and blast some compressed air through it to get rid of any residual moisture (hold down the purges on the second stages). If you like, you can take the second stages off and really blow it out. Secure the ends of the hoses as they can whip around and do some damage.
I wouldn’t do that. Why blow water into the hoses and into the second stages? That’s just more to clean up.
At most remove all the hoses and LP plugs (if there are any) and hook it up to a tank and blast any water out that way.
Always rinse your regs hooked up to a tank and pressurized.

It has been already several days since this had happened. Blowing air now won't do much good. It should be serviced now.

I wouldn’t do that. Why blow water into the hoses and into the second stages? That’s just more to clean up.
At most remove all the hoses and LP plugs (if there are any) and hook it up to a tank and blast any water out that way.
Always rinse your regs hooked up to a tank and pressurized.

The OP indicated that it has been few days, blowing air won't help at this point. It should be serviced/overhauled now.

A DM thought he was doing me a favor and rinsed my regulator in their tank, but the dust cap was off. Last dive at the resort by the time I got home and to the dive shop the salt from the tank started to cause damage to the first stage. I would highly recommend get the regulator service ASAP to ensure there is not any issues.

by the time I got home and to the dive shop the salt from the tank started to cause damage to the first stage.
Rinse tank water is supposed to be clean. I'd question whoever maintains it how there could be such a high salt content in that water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom