Hands Free Light Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just made a hands free light mount using advice from this and other boards.

Here is a picture using the light converted to dive use I detailed in an earlier post.

It's made from a 3" diameter (4" lengh) piece of PVC pipe called a junction I believe. I cut it lengthwise and then cut one of those lengthwise again.

I shaped it to fit the back of my hand, drilled 4 holes for 1/4" bungee to use as the hand loops and I drilled 4 more holes for 1/8" bungee to mount the light. I cut a piece of scrap neoprene to use as a light cushion and threaded that with the 1/8" bungee mounting the light.

I put the PVC in the oven at 350 degrees for a minutes, took it out and flattening it and then put it in cold water. It takes just a little of the curve out but still leaves enough to fit your hand.

I also found a way to give a bit more support to the Oxycheq Sock Sock using the other smaller piece of PVC left over from this project. You fit it to the underside of the Soft Sock with the curve facing up and drill two holes in the end near the grommets in the SS that the bungee comes though.

Just use that bungee to thread the piece of PVC. Now when you put you hand in the SS the top of your hand pushes the PVC up and you have a harder surface to support the light so it's not all fabric. Spray it with a little matte black paint and it blends in.

Attachments

• handsfree.JPG
    handsfree.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 519
Looks familiar :wink: I did the same thing and you probably have seen it around lately. I'm very happy with it. I put the first bungee on my wrist and the second one in my palm, my thumbe retaining the front bungee.
I kind of like it, but the only down side of such mount is the way I hold my hands during the dive, they never point to where I would look ;o)
I just used clear material, but that does not change much ;o)

Have fun with it !

Looks familiar :wink: I did the same thing and you probably have seen it around lately. I'm very happy with it. I put the first bungee on my wrist and the second one in my palm, my thumbe retaining the front bungee.
I kind of like it, but the only down side of such mount is the way I hold my hands during the dive, they never point to where I would look ;o)
I just used clear material, but that does not change much ;o)

Have fun with it !

Well, if it wasn't hands free and you were holding it in your hand you would still have to point it in the direction that you want to look so I don't see this as any different.:wink:

I do know what you mean however. It takes a little getting used to..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom