What's the Skinny on Skins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are skins good for besides easing the donning of a wetsuit or minimal sun/scrape/stin protection?

I know there are different materials, lycra of course and I think I've herad of polyproplyne?

I've seen claims of added warmth but I don't see how a woven porous fabric with no entrapped air can add warmth. If it tightens up a loose suit I can see where that would help.

Pete

spectrum:
What are skins good for besides easing the donning of a wetsuit or minimal sun/scrape/stin protection?

that's about it... most of them are just lycra, they don't really offer any warmth

i'm not sure if the P2 (polyolefin) stuff keeps you warm while underwater, but
it's supposed to keep you warm once you get out of your wet suit.

spectrum:
Looking like a super hero...???

:D

LOL

I keep hearing people talk about adding one for warmth and it didn't make any sense to me so I just thought I'd consult the brain trust.

Pete

I've never found a use for one other than increasing a dive shop's profit.

I use three thermal protection units:

1) 3 mm neoprene wetsuit
2) Aeroskin
3) polyester fleece lined hooded vest

Aeroskin or vest can significantly upgrade thermal protection level of my 3 mm wetsuit.

Both Aeroskin and vest added to wetsuit can boost thermal protection to at least the level of a 5 mm wetsuit.

A lycra skin won't do anything about warmth. A 1mm neoprene skin like a Henderson Microprene does. I have one & last winter wore it under a 5mm Hyperstretch.

I've also worn it under a 3/2 Bodyglove fairly cold (60 to 63) and it makes a difference.

I wear the dive skin on all summer dive boats, it is my all body sunblock. When I get home I will see sunburn on my hands, feet, neck and face but not the rest of my body. It also eases on the wetsuit, and keeps jellyfish and other stingy things from getting to me (when in the water with only a skin). I don't wear it in winter.

On my last trip to Barbados an English lady from London was teasing me relentlessly about the fact I had on skins....while all she had on was a bikini.

We entered the water and it wasnt 5 seconds and all I heard from her was...""bloody H*** this and bloody H*** that""""

Apparently there was some kind of stinging item in the water and upon exiting....she had some nice little welts. Plus she shut up buggin me about my skins. If ya like em....wear em....if ya dont...dont.

rich

Back
Top Bottom