Review xDeep Seal SL:01 drysiut - first impressions and review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drakcheslav

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, after several months waiting, my new suit finally arrived.
And it's quite something.
It took total around less than 3.5 months. But that is due to the shipping. In reality It was done in less than 2 months. If you live in the EU, that;s how long would you wait.
There's not much goodies you receive with the suit. But I guess it's due to the fact that it's lower price. You don't get an inflation hose, hood or booties. So I guess it's up to you to provide them. You get a bag, the suit and lubricant.
You can choose silicone seals, and choose flex boots instead of socks.
The suit is quite lightweight and compact, weighting below 3kg. Compared to my old cordura drysuit with rubber boots which was 6+kg. this is like wearing nothing at all.
The suit was custom ordered, and I guess it's a modified XL sized suit to be closer to the dimensions requestes.
I believe the total price was 1770eur. Which is much cheaper than any other custom made suit. Considering that "budget suits" cost around 1500eur.
Here are my first impressions and I will update as the time goes by and I get more and more dives in it.
Here it's currently 35C, so not quite drysuit weather.
viber_slika_2022-06-25_18-59-24-016.jpg

Fist things first. The cut:
It's different. As in, the first suit I've seen with this cut, and after reading some reasoning for the features, it's quite logical.
The most apparent thing is the zipper. which changed everything.
The zipper instead of going from the top of the shoulder to the hip, goes from the side of the shoulder to the armpit.
As can be seen here
PXL_20220626_095059167.jpg

This is due to the fact that when you're wearing a harness from either a sidemount or a BP/W the straps don't press on the zipper. So the hips are zipper free, and so is the top of the shoulder. Quite an interesting choice, and it does feel different donning and doffing. Since it feels like wearing waders because it's quite snug over the hips.
I don't have any insulation in this image, only due to the fact I'd die of a heat stroke if I did. :D

Another interesting thing is the "chest peace" is separate from the trilam, and made from cordura. So it's free floating due to the fact that it should protect from abrasions to the trilam. It's stitched together at the zip.

Next thing is the daisy-chains on the arms with some kind of shell material to protect the elbows. Which feels thick and rubbery. They call it superfabric, but it feels like rubberized PVC coated kelvar. Much thicker than cordura, and it feels bonded instead of glued. The daisy-chains are great for housing what ever, bolt snaps, a computer or something similar.
PXL_20220626_101743198.jpg

I opted for the SiTech oval cufs with antares rings. Once autumn comes we'll see how it fares.
The valves are SiTech, and the zipper is Masterseal T-zip, amd they say it's UK made trilam.

Next interesting thing is the three pockets. (Yes three).
The two side pockets, which are made in a way not to interfere with sidemount diving. And are both roomy and low profile. With a slate pocket in the back which is rubberized to the book or a slate will not slip out, large bellow pocket which is low profile, and a top pocket.

PXL_20220626_101753975.jpg
And the third pocket which is an biceps pocket that can be used to store various easy to reach stuff.
PXL_20220626_101806814.jpg

They all seem practical, and we'll see how they do underwater.

And the last but not the least. The trilam socks.
PXL_20220626_101851945.jpg
Which are strange on their own since I've never seen trilam socks, only latex or neoprene, but I guess it's an better, longer lasting alternative to the neoprene socks or booties. Since all of the probles I've seen with my clubmates suits are usually the booties, and micro holes in the neoprene. I'm guessing this will be easier to pach. The socks are roomy enough to fit thick wool socks, and so far I'll probably use either neoprene booties or some old MTB shoes which became too worn to use.

One note on the seals
PXL_20220626_101838182.jpg

they look sturdy and high quality. And a lot better compared to my old drysuit. But I guess that is to be expected. There are no loose threads, not wonky stiching anywhere, and the fit and finish is on par with any Santi drysuit.

Now, to survive the warm weather, and to test the suit in the cold Adriatic depths in a month.

If anyone wants any more pictures I'll be glad to take them.

Cheers guys.

So I just cranked the AC and tried the suit with my thickest undersuit, and it fits like a glove. Like it was made to measure. :D

Thanks for reviewing it. I’ve been trying to find out more information on these for awhile. It appears there is just the drysuit sealing zipper and no outer protective zipper…is that right? This zipper also seems to push out away from the body.

I’m curious to see how these holdup. When you can tolerate the heat, take some pictures with insulation underneath. It definitely looks baggy right now especially in your legs.

There are two zippers. And I'm wearing it w/o insulation.

The second zipper is the protection zipper which seams to push away from the body.

When wearing my insulation it fits completely. I've sized it to have place to run a fleece base layer 150g and a 450g avatar undersuit.

If it cools down tonight I'll take a picture.

AC to the rescue.
Here is with an Avatar 450g thick undersuit.

P.s. I'm sorry i couldn't be bothered to put on thick wool socks. 😂

The feet are a bit roomier since it can't strech. So there has to be place to move your feet in position.

Attachments

• PXL_20220626_171948275.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220626_171948275.PORTRAIT.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 804
  • PXL_20220626_171832775.jpg
    PXL_20220626_171832775.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 761
  • PXL_20220626_171825434.jpg
    PXL_20220626_171825434.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 777
  • PXL_20220626_171821207.jpg
    PXL_20220626_171821207.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 800
  • PXL_20220626_171618619.jpg
    PXL_20220626_171618619.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 763
  • PXL_20220626_171607193.jpg
    PXL_20220626_171607193.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 818
Managed to get my first dive in today. And this suit is amazing.

It's like diving in a wetsuit. Fits so good, and the mobility is out of this world. I did a 37m dive at 16C temperature at depth. With 150g fleece insulation. Felt so good. Like I've had it for years. The zipper positioning is great. There's no chafing or hotspots from the straps. And absolutely no air migration to the boots.

The trilam socks feel a bit strange. Like standing in a puddle of water with dry socks... After you get used to it it's actually amazing.

I found a great alternative for rock boots, It gor cheap Decathlon hiking boots for less than 20€, and they work great as a rock.boot.

Here is a small video of todays dive.

Quite a lot of stuff in not included. I'm guessing to drive the price down. Which is fine by me to be honest. I don't need another inflation hose.

In Europe, for 1700 eur you can get a good budget drysuit with all of the bells and whistles, or this, which is at the level at Santi or Ursuit, and it's made to measure on top of that.

I think that Avatar is at 1500eur, which is a bilaminate nylon budget suit.

I'm fine at taking a hit for getting a premium suit with less extras, than a budget suit with a lot of extras.

Second dive today, and it feels great. The zipper position is excellent, you don't feel the zipper press on anything, and the straps never go over the zipper. Which makes it feel like not wearing a drysut. I'm terribly sunburnt, and I didn't feel a problem with it.

Also, the air migration to the feet is almost non existent. And I'm now convinced that the Quechua NH100 hike boots are the best drysuit rock boots ever.

Here is the fit, cooking at 35C, and the water at depth is cold 16C. I'm using 1500g fleece undersuit.

Attachments

• IMG-6c1dda253cae0958f062992849d38712-V.jpg
    IMG-6c1dda253cae0958f062992849d38712-V.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 810
A trim chek in a cavern. My leashes are slipping a bit, I need to find a better rope. Other than that. The suit feels amazing.

Attachments

• IMG-20220809-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220809-WA0004.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 873
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom