Adding Pockets to Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirthead

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I have done lots of searching through old threads and found a lot of information, but I have a few more questions about adding pockets to a wetsuit.

I have a Bare 7/6 Velocity suit and want to add a bellows pocket and a flat pocket to the thighs. Some people say just glue then on, some say stitch them on, some say do both. I saw the Halcyon pockets at fifthd.com, but I hate paying $140 for a pair of pockets, when the suit only cost $200. 5thd-x has a bellows pocket on sale for $19, I think. It might not be the highest quality, but looks like it would work. Hopefully this fall I can get a drysuit, so I don't need it to last forever.

Questions:

1. Can ANY pocket be glued to a wetsuit? Or does it need to have a neoprene backing??

2. I realize stitching and gluing is more durable than gluing alone, but generally how long will a glued pocket remain attached???

3. Are there any retailers that do wetsuit repair that can add pockets at a reasonable price????

I have added pockets to both wetsuit and dry suit(the $74 halcyon pockets) its very simple to do. You just take the pocket and a tube of aqua seal apply aqua seal to the entire back of pocket about 1 tube aqua seal per pocket for large bellows pocket. Press pocket on the suit in the spot you want it. Place a bunch of diving weights on top of pocket wait about 12-24 hours to dry, and Viola instant pockets. Pockets will usually stay attached for the life of the suit depending on use and abuse.
Good Luck!
try this link for more info
left hand column gives directions

http://www.halcyon.net/dir/index.shtml

I've just fitted a pair of DIR Zone pockets to my tri-lam drysuit.

I used a similar approach to Taco, but I paid out for Bostik 2402 two part adhesive as it is the proper adhesive for drysuit/wetsuit repairs.

Dom

I had mine stitched by a cobbler (shoe repair person). the 5th d pocket doesn't have a neoprene backing, so when you glue it, you put the suit on your leg, the suit stretches...but the pocket doesn't. Now you've got curled corners, nasty looking aquaseal residue and its not not cool. You won't be happy.

This is how I did mine. Put the suit on, hold the pocket where you want it, and have your favorite dive buddy mark off the placement with soad or tailors chalk. Drive to the cobbler, explain him that the edges need to be sewn on the white lines on the suit. Come back in 2 days, pay a few bucks, and you've got yourself a professionally attatched pocket that will not be stressed by the stretching of the wetsuit.

You can glue pretty much any pocket to your wetsuit. I have a "G-Pocket" on one suit, and I cut the straps off a DiveRite Thigh Pouch and glued that to the other. Its a great addition to your suit and you'll find lots of uses for it.

We have G-Pockets in stock. It can be attached with neoprene cement (BlockSurf/Trident, etc) or even Aquaseal. You need to apply about 3 coats of adhisive to each surface and then let it sit overnight with a stack of books or something heavy on it. You can stitch them, but I've never had any issues.

Go for adding a pocket, you'll be happy.

Thanks for all the info. I just ordered a pair of the shorts to try. If those won't cut it, I will then glue/stitch some on.

Attaching pockets to wetsuits is more complicated than attaching them to drysuits because neoprene stretches.

Here's how I do it:

1. Put on your wetsuit. Place the pockets where you want them and have someone drawn around the edge of the pockets using a chalk marker (available at fabric stores).

2. Take off the wetsuit and place the pocket back over the area that you just marked. You'll notice that the chalk rectangle on the wetsuit is now smaller than the pocket. This is because the wetsuit stretched while you wore it. If you place glue around all four edges of the pocket, you'll have a rectangle on your wetsuit that won't stretch. The solution is to glue only the vertical left and right edges of the pocket, allowing your wetsuit to stretch around your thigh.

3. Place a 1" to 2" wide strip of Aquaseal glue along only one vertical edge of the pocket (either the left or right edge). Lay the pocket into place on the wetsuit on a flat surface. Place weight over the top of the whole thing for a couple of days to let the Aquaseal dry and set. This works for both nylon pockets and pockets with a neoprene backing.

4. Repeat step #3 for the other edge of the pocket.

5. The result is a solid attachment of the pocket to the wetsuit that allows for stretch around your thigh.

6. Here's a source for Aquaseal: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2291

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom