Otter Bay 12mm Hood Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
You wouldn’t think that just a hood would warrant a review of its own. However, if you think that, then you’ve never used an Otter Bay 12mm hood in ice cold water.

This hood really rocks! I ordered it based on a recommendation from Peter C, TSandM, Camerone, dannobee, limeyx, and hoyden. Thanks, guys.

The hood is custom cut, based on specific measurements that the owner (Cricket) requests. She walked me through the measurements over the phone as my wife measured my head (extra long measuring tape :D). Discounting the week they were closed for the holidays, it took about a week to get it. Cost including shipping was $80.00

Detailed instructions for wearing in, and preping the hood were emailed to me prior to the hoods arrival.

The first thing I noticed was the unusual shape of the hood. Being a custom cut, it is shaped much more like a face/skull than the normal, one-shape-fits-all, off the rack hood. The area around the face is a thinner material – 5mm I‘m guessing. The bulk around the head is the 12mm.

And wow is that thick. After all, 12mm is almost half an inch!

I tried it on, and the thing fit like a second skin. And very comfortable - much more comfortable than I thought something that tight and that thick would be. I carefully cut the face opening per Cricket’s instructions.

I took it for a test dive today. Air temp was 28 degrees, and water temp was 39 degrees. Once I had the hood on, it was difficult to hear what my buddies were saying – a definite advantage:eyebrow:. My buddy said that the hood looked like a helmet on me. I was also surprised to discover how warm the hood was out of the water.

But it was under water that this thing really rocked. As I submerged, I never felt the usual inflow of freezing water that I do with my other hood. In fact, during the dive, I wondered if the hood was so tight that my hair was staying dry. It wasn’t. My hair was wet after the dive. But my head stayed so warm that I never noticed a difference in or out of the water.

I’m guessing that both my buddies will place orders soon.

One thing is for sure, I’ll have to give this hood a vacation when summer comes and the water warms up. It'll be just too hot.

Bottom line, if you dive water below 50 degrees (and we all know that keeping the head warm is vital to the body staying warm), you won’t regret buying a custom 12mm hood from Otter Bay Wetsuits!

Rick,

I've had my Otter Bay 12mm hood for about 2 years now and absolutely love it. Comfortable fit, warmer head equals longer bottom times for me. Congrats on the new purchase!

- Ericson

This hood really rocks! I ordered it based on a recommendation from Peter C, TSandM, Camerone, dannobee, limeyx, and hoyden. Thanks, guys.
Glad you like it! FWIW, I've been coming up from Puget Sound's chilly waters lately, and I've been sweating after the dives 'cause I'm so warm. It's nuts, but I have a feeling I'll be appreciating it down in Antarctica in another six weeks or so. It's hands down the best piece of inexpensive dive gear I own...

I also recommended it to a couple of friends coming with me to Antarctica, too, and they went down to Monterrey and Cricket made up some combo hoods that are sort of a mix between the standard 12mm hood and the Henderson Ice Cap - looks like a ski mask front. The masks seal against the hood's smooth rubber face, and the hood is cut just a little tight. It works really well for them, apparently, and it's a lot easier than putting the Ice Cap underneath, which is what I'm doing.

1) They Rock - best investment I've ever, EVER made in my exposure protection since my dry gloves.

2) Cricket is a bit unusual. But I got nothing but love for her.

3) If I could pay an additional $20 to NOT have that HUGE logo on the hood, I would. So would most of us. Instead, I got a black paint pen and made it go away for the most part.

4) TMJ. Before I do ANYTHING when I come out of the water, I take the darn thing off. In the water, it rules. Out of the water I think my Jaw has been wired shut. After nearly 170 dives in mine since May, its still makes me sore.

5) Its not a hood, its a helmet. It should have a DOT sticker on it.

6) Claudette has TWICE now bounced a scooter off my dome while I was wearing my OB helmet. Both times I didn't black out. They offer more than just thermal protection... :wink:

I love it. My MoCal homies hooked me up and I've never looked back.

---
Ken

1) They Rock - best investment I've ever, EVER made in my exposure protection since my dry gloves.

4) TMJ. Before I do ANYTHING when I come out of the water, I take the darn thing off. In the water, it rules. Out of the water I think my Jaw has been wired shut. After nearly 170 dives in mine since May, its still makes me sore.
---
Ken

I stretched the chin pocket ion mine by putting the hood on a plastic jug and jamming a bowl in the chin pocket. I left it like that for a long time (maybe a week) and now it is perfect.

The difference that it makes in my ability to stay warm in the water is amazing.

Jackie

3) If I could pay an additional $20 to NOT have that HUGE logo on the hood, I would. So would most of us. Instead, I got a black paint pen and made it go away for the most part.

Yup. Did that last night.

Otter Bay did a nice job on a custom hood for my wife. Cricket is great. There is a nice shop cat, very friendly!

Y

Dude we told you about this when you came to visit the first time! :)

Sadly Bobcat passed on... part of diving Monterey is saying Hi to Cricket when she's taking her cat for a morning stroll at the Breakwater :)

One thing I forgot to mention about the OB Helmet. I used to be able to sink my DUI hood with a 2# weight. I keep several of these by my rinse barrel - a couple for the booties, one for the hood, for the wet gloves, etc.

I dropped a two-pounder into the Helmet, and it just corked - sitting there on top of the rinse barrel laughing at me. I'm all, "are you kidding...? I need MORE than two pounds to sink this thing?"

I had to add a 5 pounder to the pile by the rinse barrel, just for the helmet.

---
Ken

1) ...6) Claudette has TWICE now bounced a scooter off my dome while I was wearing my OB helmet. Both times I didn't black out. They offer more than just thermal protection... :wink:...---
Ken
Uh.... you're my favorite crash-test buddy? :crafty:

From my Drive-it-like-it's-stolen POV, right after being shocked that I hit "something", and then relieved that "it" was my still-conscious buddy... I remember being surprised by how soft your melon had "felt".

Otter Bay 12mm hoods really are the best thing ever for head protection, all kinds!

But they won't make you a better driver :no.

~~~~
hbCominThru'Chica

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom