Wetsuit too tight at neck only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So hey guys, quick question...I have a 7mm Pinnacle wetsuit, and it fits nice and snug and does a great job of keeping me warm. However, every time I dive, the next day the front of my throat feels bruised, and while I'm diving the neck of the wetsuit does put pressure against my neck a little, but it's not enough pressure to affect the carotids or be noticed once I'm underwater and the neoprene loosens up a little. Do you guys have any ideas on how I can fix this problem? I'm getting kind of sick of bruising my throat.

If it's so tight that it's leaving your throat feeling bruised, it has to at some degree be affecting your carotids. That is just too, too risky to be diving with. I suggest that you have a gusset installed in the neck area to give you a tiny bit more room.
Carolyn

Hmm, where would I go to get a gusset installed? Would a dive shop be able to do that or would I have to go to a wetsuit manufacturer?

Tim, you didn't mention what kind of collar you have. My DUI has a trimmable (non neoprene) collar with ridges that you can cut a little off at a time until you reach measurable comfort (and seal). Naturally, out of the water you would feel some discomfort but it should never give you a bruised feeling after diving.
I would recommend that you contact either the manufacturer or their recommended service facility in your area to have it better fitted to you.
Being an EMT as you are, I'm sure you know the consequences of that fit.

By the way, I've done sky-diving too, a 2800 foot static line within four hours of walking on the flight deck. It's a cake walk in comparison to the technology and knowledge you have to have in scuba diving.

EMTTIM,
The higher, thicker neck on the Pinnacle was the one reason (with a 17-1/2" neck) that I decided not to go with it, when I was looking for a new 5mm. However, I'm sure there's a fix...
I would look for (google) a custom wetsuit fabricator. There are a few around. I'm sure (for a fee) they'd be willing to add a gusset to your suit, and take some of that pressure off.
Tight, to the point of bruising on your neck, has to be a dangerous thing...

I heard several complaints about the neck size of whatever their latest model is (Kodiak I think). When I was in my LDS there were two ladies in there who had them and were complaining about it.

I have a pinnacle elite and have no neck squeezing trouble and love it. (though I also have a small neck:))

The Pinnacle rolled neck gives a number of people some trouble. Personally I love the design, but I guess it doesn't work for everybody. Would it help just to make a little extender for the velcro closure at the back?

Have you tried stretching it out overnight over a 12 liter Tank or a similar sized saucepan, you can change the memory of the neoprene, also works on latex seals.

I would just check around your city to see if someone has an idustrial sewing machine. Possibly a shoe repair shop could help. All it involes is sewing a triangular piece of neoprene to the neck of the suit. It should be a very simple task.
Carolyn
Liquid Fit

Back
Top Bottom