DUI CF200X Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSpicher

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Everyone,

I am relatively new to diving, but want to start diving dry. A diver around here is selling a DUI CF200X with very few dives on it. Does anyone with experience with this suit have any feedbacks or comments about the suit? How does it compare to others or just basic drysuit info I should know?

Thanks a lot....

Hey Everyone,

I am relatively new to diving, but want to start diving dry. A diver around here is selling a DUI CF200X with very few dives on it. Does anyone with experience with this suit have any feedbacks or comments about the suit? How does it compare to others or just basic drysuit info I should know?

Thanks a lot....

DUI makes several suits, each serves better in certain situations.

I dive in SoCal. In the last 5 years I've had about 8 DUI suits - representing each of their models.

I've sold them all but two: The 350 (Tri Lam) and my CF200. And for the diving that I do most of - shore diving through the surf, photography, rock hopping, getting tossed in the surge, the CF200 is perfect for me.

Its tough. Its stretchy. And because I don't travel to dive (read: I drive to the shore or to the boat) the weight everyone will tell you about as being so prohibitive is not an issue. I'm strong, so getting this suit out of the surf and up long flights of steps while carrying a scooter on one shoulder and my huge camera rig in the other hand isn't a thing.

As to the "it take a long time to dry thing" you'll hear about, I do 2 to 12 dives a week in it - almost 300 a year. It dries fast enough to dive again and again and again....

Of all the suits I've had, its the one I've put the fewest holes in. My CF200 is my go-to suit.

Drysuits are worthless if they fit poorly. Make sure it fits you well. If it fits correctly, and you can get a great deal on it, you'll never regret it. You'll have that suit for the next 10+ years.

---
Ken

Ken's pretty much nailed it. Whether a CF200 is the right suit for you really depends on the type of diving you do. There's no questioning that the suit is bulletproof. It is heavy though, and it does take forever to dry. I don't dive anywhere near as much as Ken, which means I store my suit between dive outings. This means I have to leave it hanging for a couple of days to get it dry enough to store without it getting a musty smell from being damp. Weight isn't a big deal for me- like Ken I drive to where I'm going to dive, but if (when) I pursue cave 1 I wouldn't want to be flying to Mexico with this thing. Lastly, because it takes a long time to dry it'll be wet on surface intervals. On a boat or on a breezy/windy day this means you'll get chilled if you don't put a boat coat on over it.

In the end, fit is everything. Despite everything I mentioned, i wouldn't even be considering another suit if my CF200 fit me well. The in-water warmth, durability, streamlined fit and outstanding build quality more than make up for the few downsides for the type of diving I currently do.

Mine was built in 1995 for military EOD, than purchased by me a couple of years ago as NOS. I have replaced every seal twice, both the inflater and exhaust valves were replaced, pee valve replaced, new zipper installed, a few pin holes repaired and it will continue to service me for years to come.

I too have a CF200, and if you can take the weight it will last and last. I went to a discussion last year with some DUI employees who said they have repaired a 30 year old CF200 and it still works.

Another fan of the CF200. I love that suit. But as has been pointed out, it's a local diving suit, not one made for travel. For travel, I use a quick drying trilam. But nothing beats the CF200 for me with durability and trim.

Thanks everyone for you responses! Most of my diving will be local. Sounds like this suit could work. I have arranged to try it on and double-check the fit. If it fits properly you have all helped make my decision. Thanks again!

I just got back from BTS expo in N.J. I tried on the CF200x XLS. It felt very comfortable. I'm glad to see all the good reviews. This will be my first drysuit and it's a big investment for me.

Dub I agree, I tried the suit on and thought it felt great and will be my first drysuit purchase as well. As most of my diving is local I am looking to getting it into the water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom