Correct Bouyancy Control Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrobs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have heard several opinions on what is the correct way to control bouancy in a Dry Suit.

1) Take the squeeze off with the dry suit and mainatain bouyancy with the BCD. Keep the valve closed on the dry suit while diving and on ascent vent air by pressing on the valve.

2) Use the Dry Suit for all bouyancy control. Close the Dry suit valve at the surface and open it only when ascending. On Ascent control venting by lowering and rasing you arm (i.e. the vent valve).

I have tried both but think 2) is the way to go. It seems like there is less to do on ascent (i.e. trying to vent both the dry suit and BCD while watching the SPG (computer) seems a little too much to be doing). Also more air in the dry suit means I should be warmer.

Any comments or other suggestions. I never thought that a dry suit would have such a major learning curve. I am finding the dry suit harder than open water certification.

Thanks Rob

I use the BC for buoyancy and the DS only to alleviate squeeze. I dive with the ds exhaust valve all the way open.

You'll find a good mix between people who use the DS or BC for buoyancy. One significant downside to using the DS for buoyancy is that it's harder and slower to vent from the DS than from the BC in case you go out of control. The reciprocal downside for BC buoyancy is that it's a little more complicated when you're first learning to be aware of and actively control two air sources/bubbles simultaneously.

DS for squeeze, BC for buoyancy.

1) Take the squeeze off with the dry suit and mainatain bouyancy with the BCD.
* Close the exhaust valve only a .5-1 turn. Just enough that air does not vent out with a casual roll to the side.
* Ascending more then a few feet may require you to lift your arm and vent a little.

* Do not push the valve button. It will usually let a little water in. Adjust how open the valve is for ease of venting. Roll your valve-side shoulder up, lift your arm toward the surface, allow air into it, then flex your arm to pump the air out the valve. Repeat as needed. Sometimes you need to raise your torso to get air up into your arm.

* If starting your ascent, open the valve and vent air as you ascend. If coming up from a wreck head-up, it will almost vent itself.

* You must monitor your buoyancy at all times in a dry suit and stay ahead of gaining positve buoyancy. This means for both the suit and your BC.

2-Staying ahead of positive buoyancy is harder using the dry suit for buoyancy. Your exhaust valve will not dump air as fast as your BC.

I am relatively new to drysuit diving as well, but I think using the suit just to alleviate squeeze is the way to go. I have never tried turning back the valve .5-1 turns as cldwdiver suggested, but I think I will try it. It seems to make sense to me.

Where is option 3? Leave the drysuit valve open (or mostly open) the entire dive, and let it vent itself on ascent?

Maintaining buoyancy with the drysuit is asking for trouble. One day you'll blow the ascent, and there will be no stopping it.

But, it's your life. You choose.

I have heard several opinions on what is the correct way to control bouancy in a Dry Suit.

1) Take the squeeze off with the dry suit and mainatain bouyancy with the BCD. Keep the valve closed on the dry suit while diving and on ascent vent air by pressing on the valve.

2) Use the Dry Suit for all bouyancy control. Close the Dry suit valve at the surface and open it only when ascending. On Ascent control venting by lowering and rasing you arm (i.e. the vent valve).

I have tried both but think 2) is the way to go. It seems like there is less to do on ascent (i.e. trying to vent both the dry suit and BCD while watching the SPG (computer) seems a little too much to be doing). Also more air in the dry suit means I should be warmer.

Any comments or other suggestions. I never thought that a dry suit would have such a major learning curve. I am finding the dry suit harder than open water certification.

Thanks Rob

100% Drysuit.:argument:100% wing/BC.

Maybe there is no absolute answer.

Good information offered here. YMMV.

Dive. Be safe.

"Practice is the short cut to skill. There is no short cut to experience."
-mo2vation.

~~~~
Claudette

Where is option 3? Leave the drysuit valve open (or mostly open) the entire dive, and let it vent itself on ascent?

But, it's your life. You choose.

Hi Perrone,

Impliedly, the OP did not include "option 3" because he hadn't heard about it.

Seems like more people say to use both. I will take this approach. I will keep the valve open .5 to 1 turn on descent and then open it all the way on ascent. I will use the BC for bouyancy control once the squeeze is taken off with the dry suit. I guess if I hold by arm up while I vent the BC, I will simply be letting air out of both at the same time as I go up.

Thanks for everyone's help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom