Advice on CF200 deal I think I made out on (pic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neonstingray

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Living in Boston just minutes from the harbor now has peaked my interest in diving again, but after too many cold quarry dives in thick wetsuits I decided I'm only going dry in cold water now. The only suit I've used before was a 905 in my swimming pool.

So on ebay I won an auction at $300 for a used DUI CF200X. The seller, a dive shop, claimed the suit was bought by a fire rescue department but then never really used. When I messaged him he said it's in great condition and no leaks on a pool dive. The suit just arrived, and it's even better than described. It looks and feels brand new, as if it was made last week, and if it had never been wet I'd believe it.

The thing is, it wasn't made last week. It's probably about 15 years old. I took a chance anyway as I've heard the CF200's are very long lasting suits. That being said, is there anything I should be aware or cautious of on a practically 'new' 15 year old CF200?

Thanks for any input!

drysuit.jpg

Biggest thing I'd be worried about would be the latex seals - they can/will degrade over time, even when not used. If it fits though, sounds like you scored big, even if it does end up needing new seals. If you decide to have them replaced, it would be a good time to think about doing with a ring or zip system, or neoprene seals, depending what you're after.

Thanks Travis. The seals are all neoprene, and the suit fits quite well, which is often tough to find in the ones I've tried before as drysuits don't seem to be made for very lean divers (I'm a 38" chest but 30" waist).

That appears to be one heck of a score! Just make sure the valves are working properly, and not sticky from sitting. Enjoy it! The auto dump on the shoulder should also be able to manually dump by pushing it. Plug the wrists (water bottle), and the neck (tupperware bowl, close the zipper (lubricate it first), and blow it up. That way you know the inlet valve works. Purge it through the shoulder dump, and then go dive it.

P.S. - the "bulk" is room for undergarments as well as being able to get it on and off. This style of suit is not stretchy.....

P.S. - the "bulk" is room for undergarments as well as being able to get it on and off. This style of suit is not stretchy.....
Interesting you better tell that to my stretchy CF200 made in 1995 that is getting put back into use by a friend of mine. It has had multiple sets of seals and a zipper replacement along with spending hundreds of hour underwater.

OP I would recommend getting a HangAir or the equivalent for drying the suit. Amazon.com: Hang Air Wetsuit Dryer: Sports & Outdoors They are a pain in the butt to get dry on the outside let alone the inside since you can't turn it inside out. I found a butter container or the like cut open will keep the neck seal safe from the switch and keeps the neck seal open. I of course have a latex seal on neoprene. Also closing the zipper down a little will allow the air to go all the way into the feet to dry them out.

Are you planning on dry gloves? If so the Si-Tech system might be the best option and get rid of the neoprene wrist seals. I am sure you already know it, but you are supposed to roll the neck seal in to seal it.

They are a pain in the butt to get dry on the outside let alone the inside since you can't turn it inside out.

You can challenge me on the "stretch" statement, and I'll call you on this one. I turn mine (also CF200) inside out every time I dive it to dry the "sweat" first, then back around again to dry the outside..... no problems at all (edit: then again, I have soft soles and use Rock Boots - i could see Turbos being a problem...)

oh, and mine is from 2002.....:cool2:

Last edited:
OP, you've got a great deal and a great suit. My son has exactly the same model and he couldn't be more happy. Spend a bit for those upgrades others suggested (zip seals, dry gloves, latex or silicone neck seal, maybe pockets) and have fun diving. Dive safe

Thanks for the replies and encouragement guys! The suit still has it's stretch, but I'm slim enough that even with undergarments I don't think I'll be 'stretching' anything yet. I know the CF's take awhile to dry out, but I don't plan on doing any consecutive diving for now, so I don't mind that. For gloves I was just going to go with the deep see dry gloves for now, as I've read good things about them for those not wanting to go with the si-tech rings. I don't know if I'll be doing enough diving to make the si-tech rings worth the purchase yet. But I do plan on installing a P-valve and pockets. I prefer the feel of latex seals, but if these don't leak I suppose there's no reason to change them yet? And isn't converting neoprene to latex seals a bit of a pain anyway?

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom