Eating crow: Santi custom cut suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'll admit it -- I've been wrong. I have inveighed repeatedly on this forum against ordering a custom dry suit. I have said I would never go through that misery again.

But at the Tacoma Dive Expo, Jason Fisch of Ocean Edge Outfitters came to me and made me an offer on a Santi custom suit that I simply couldn't turn down. The condition was that I would write a review of the suit, after I had had a chance to dive it a bit. I smiled, and told Jason that he had to understand that I would write what I thought, positive or negative, and no matter what he thought of the review. He smiled back and told me his confidence in the suits was such that he wasn't worried.

So I got measured for the suit, and I didn't even have the undergarments with me -- all I could do was describe them. Several weeks later, my Santi E-Lite arrived.

Well, the first thing I have to say is that the fit is perfect. The suit has enough room for my undergarments, but not too much more. The boots fit (one of the problems with my prior adventure in custom). The pockets are at the right height, so I can reach the bottoms of them. The dump valve is precisely where I like it. The zipper (a Tizip) is truly self-donning. And, as you can see, my range of motion is excellent:

1069841_10151719553739216_1662766528_n.jpg

Now, to the rest of the suit. It weighs 7lbs 10oz. That's the same as a set of Jet fins, I think. The finish work is excellent. The pockets are fantastic -- they have long, stiff flaps with an edge stiffener, and I can feel them even with cold hands. I think could probably get all the spools I own in one of them. The right-hand pocket has a separate compartment for wetnotes, and all the pockets/compartments came with sewn-in bungie.

600243_10151719553944216_1878537070_n.jpg

The boots are a hybrid between a plain rubber boot and a turbosole -- part of them is rubber, and part is neoprene, and they are shaped. The result is that they fit well and don't roll when I'm walking on rocks (unless the rocks are at Gerstle Cove, that is!) Like TurboSoles, they have a velcro strap around the ankle, which makes it highly unlikely that they would come off, even if my feet filled with air.

One of the surprises for me was the suspenders. All the other suits I've owned have had a pad in the back, but this one had a pad in the front. I thought maybe they had put the suspenders together wrong, but then I took a closer look. The "pad" in the front is actually a pocket with a zipper. The pocket is lined with something that seems likely to be waterproof, and clearly, this pocket is meant for keys, because the most delightful thing about it is that you only have to unzip about six or eight inches to reach it. I think you could probably do it with your gear still on! Since a number of the places where I shore dive don't have picnic tables or any other good place to set a tank, and I have trouble getting my rig off without a support (and I don't dive from a truck) this is a really nice feature.

1069948_10151719553909216_2048099689_n.jpg

Negatives? Not many. I think the weight would make me choose something lighter for air travel (although I have to admit, I haven't weighed my other suits to compare, since both of them are currently out on loan). The material of the suit is fairly stiff, and with the Kevlar knee patches, it makes the legs hard to fold enough to get a grip on them to pull them up, at least not without breaking a nail. (I know that won't matter to most of you.) I have some concerns about the plastic zipper, but since Santi warrants them for life (correction here, it's a two year warranty) , it didn't seem a big risk. And the suit has yet to pass the test of time, although I've heard very few complaints from Santi owners about leaks.

Overall, I am really impressed with the quality of this suit, and the excellent job Santi did on the cut. And I've been amusing the daylights out of Peter, because I simply can't remember to put my left arm in first, or to undo the crotch strap before taking the suit off!

1069334_10151719553734216_685690865_n.jpg

969908_10151719553989216_1154247726_n.jpg

Last edited:
Your Whites is getting jealous....

And you look quite stunning in it. Glad you found a great fit in a suit.

Hi TS&M:

I can't really tell but does your suit come with cuffs for dry gloves? It looks like you opted for latex seals, as opposed to silicone seals. Also, you went with the integrated boots. Would you be comfortable walking on hard surfaces and rocks with them?

Let us know how the suit fares on your upcoming dives and how it compares to your Fusion. I think I'm your same path but with an E Motion.

Ouvea

Great report! I am so glad for you! I can not wait to get my Santi, I am so looking forward to some dry dives! :)

This is very nice to hear! Especially from a female diver. I met Jason at the dive show here in Nor Cal a few months ago and really liked their suits. I haven't been ready to make the investment (hah) in one yet but they were so nice to measure me so I have the information when I am ready (hopefully this fall)!

Great review. Im not far from where Ocean outfitters is located and although I am not a customer of theirs at all, a few of their loyalists dive on my boat. I have seen this suit on a few of them and they all rave about it. I have yet to hear a single negative thing and these guys, particularly on specific bullfrog gentleman, are not gentle on their equipment - and the suit seems to be standing up to time and use very well!

Its a suit I would consider if my XCD2 let me down.....which....hopfully never happens!!

Congrats, Lynne.....I have to admit that I looked long and hard at a Santi before I ordered my custom FLX Extreme. And I must say that I've had over 70 dry dives in the FLX Extreme since Nov of last year......and will probably order another in the future, I am very tempted to try a Santi. Very tempted! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom