Triathlon wetsuit for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colton

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a Triathalon wetsuit for diving and freediving. The material is nice and it's well insulated for what I need. Only thing with marathon wetsuits is the added buoyancy they provide (which I plan on using weights still while free diving) has anyone had experience buying/using a marathon/triathalon wetsuit for diving?

It is similiar to this:
http://www.blueseventy.com/collections/2011-wetsuits-1/products/2014-reaction-full-suit

I’ve used an Orca tri suit in warm water (28C) and it was fine, although more of a skin-suit effect for diving rather than a “real” diving wetsuit. The neoprene isn’t particularly thick (1-2mm I think) so with any depth it compresses to nothing, and the stretch panels you have around the armpits for swimming flexibility also provide v limited warmth. If you’re going to need a tri suit anyway and the water is warm then its fine, but for scuba you won’t be using your arms for propulsion so the extra freedom of movement is wasted

I have no direct experience. I'm a newb and have been wondering about the same thing - i.e. using a triathlon wetsuit for scuba diving.

What I THINK I have figured out is that Tri suits generally have some or a lot of skin out neoprene. I THINK that is because it goes through the water easier than scuba wetsuit neoprene, which has a layer of nylon over the neoprene. But, the skin side out, without nylon over it, makes it much easier to damage via scrapes, cuts, etc..

And then, there's also the issue steady raised - the Tri suit neoprene may be more compressible neoprene (which is more stretchy, and thus easier to use, and not intended to use at any depth), whereas wetsuits usually have a somewhat less compressible neoprene that may be a little harder to put on and take off, but is better when you're diving to depth.

For those reasons, I decided that I, personally, would avoid buying a Triathlon-oriented wetsuit for scuba diving.

I own triathlon wetsuits (TYR and Ironman), but only use them for tris. The exterior of the trisuits are easily ripped. The general advice for donning is to make sure you trim your fingernails and take care with pulling and tugging. To reduce drag, they are tailored to fit tight (to reduce water infiltration) and have a smooth exterior. My opinion is they are too delicate for SCUBA diving equipment wear and diving. My wetsuits have reinforcement in the high wear areas-on the shoulders and knees; trisuits don't.

The neoprene isn’t particularly thick (1-2mm I think) so with any depth it compresses to nothing, and the stretch panels you have around the armpits for swimming flexibility also provide v limited warmth. If you’re going to need a tri suit anyway and the water is warm then its fine, but for scuba you won’t be using your arms for propulsion so the extra freedom of movement is wasted

Completely agree with the above, I had the same experience when I wore my tri suit on a dive. It was basically just a dive skin that was a harder to get on than my lycra dive skin. After 2 dives in it in almost 80F water (max depth 40ft), I switched to wearing just my LavaCore base layer and this was a lot more comfortable.
If your intention is just diving/freediving, I would not recommend getting a tri suit. If you already have one and are in warm water, it may work for you as a diving suit depending on how easily you get cold.

Best,
elgoog

Ditto.....my tri suits are for swimming......scuba suits for scuba.

There is no justification to buy a triathlon wetsuit for scuba diving. It costs the same as a diving wetsuit but it won't last as long.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Should have mentioned the suit is 5-4-5 and not a 1/2mm thing. So from what I understand it will be a lot more susceptible to damage, but should still have a nice insulating factor due to the fact it's not a 1mm skin?

It sounds like you're trying to get one suit that will work for triathlons and diving. If that is the case, I'd suggest getting a 2pc diving suit and use the farmer johns for tris (I've done it and it works just fine). If you're in warmer water where you don't need a 2pc for diving, you could use the farmer john with a dive skin underneath (this also I've done and the thick FJ provides warmth exactly where you need it)
I checked my tri suit (5mm) and wetsuits (7mm) side by side yesterday and, at least for the ones I had, the tri suit was a lot flimsier - I interpret this as the neoprene not being as dense, hence not as compression resistant or abrasion resistant. Even my wife-buddy's 5mm wetsuit felt more substantial.
If you buy just one suit for both activities, you'll make a compromise in at least one of them - your diving wetsuit may not be the best for swimming and your tri suit will not be as warm, comfortable or durable while SCUBA/free diving. I guess it comes down to which of the two activities you want the "advantage" for and then buy accordingly.

Best,
elgoog

As an open-water swimmer and scuba diver... I can't imagine using a tri-suit for diving. While the neoprene in tri-suits isn't necessarily "flimsy" it's not made to withstand either the depth (depth = compression, compression = cold) or the inevitable cuts/bumps/bruises/abrasions/etc that a scuba wetsuit will take in stride.

Back
Top Bottom