Review: Cressi 3.5mm, Akona 3mm x 2, Scuba Pro 3/2 and 5/4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought the Cressi Spring 3.5mm XXL ($120), the Akona Men's 3mm (AKMS258) XXL ($150), and the Akona Quantum Stretch 3mm XXL ($200) from LeisurePro all at the same time, so I could keep one and return 2.

I'm 6' 1" and carrying a bit of a gut right now at 230 #. All 3 suits fit me basically fine. They pull up nicely into my groin area and snugly in my armpits. I just did my OW certification and the dive shop gave me an Oceanic Ultra 3/2 XXL to wear in the pool and the same in 7mm to wear in the quarry, which also fit me fine.

The Quantum Stretch was noticeably stretchier than the other 2. I suppose that made it a little bit easier to don, but not much. Not enough that that would make me buy it over the others. It did seem to fit a little bit better, though, which would influence me to it over the other 2. The neck has a nice smoothskin seal on the inside, but the wrist, ankles, and back zipper did not have anything to help seal the suit, so I'm not sure why they bothered with the neck seal. The ends of the arms and legs have a nice binding sewn instead of just having unfinished neoprene. The zipper flap was just thin neoprene and I was able to zip the suit up by myself. Also, I'd say the picture on the website is the result of bad lighting. It looks like it's dark grey and light grey. In reality, it is black and grey and the patterning on the shoulders and back have a couple of streaks of orangeish red in them.

The Akona Men's 3mm was not as stretchy as the Quantum Stretch. It did not have seals at the neck, ankles or wrists. It did have a reasonably beefy smoothskin flap inside the back zipper. But, it didn't seem to have any other smoothskin to mate against, so I'm not sure how well it would seal. Besides, the neck, wrists, and ankles all do not have any kind of seal anyway, so again, why bother with a seal over the back zipper? This suit was the only one of the three that I could not zip up by myself and I really gave it the old college try, too. The zipper kept catching on that smoothskin flap. The ends of the arms and legs are completely unfinished. No binding like the Quantum Stretch suit. The suit fit well, but maybe it didn't "hug" my contours *quite* as well as the Quantum Stretch. Overall, of the 3 suits, this is the last one I would keep.

The Cressi Spring suit is 0.5mm thicker than the other 2. It felt about as stretchy as the Akona Men's 3mm. Maybe just a *touch* less stretchy since it's a hair thicker. Again, definitely not AS stretchy as the Quantum Stretch. The Spring has smoothskin for seals inside the neck, at the ankles and wrists, and a smaller-than-the-Akona smoothskin flap inside the back zipper. I was able to zip myself up in this suit, no problem. One thing that was different than all other wetsuits I have looked at is that the neck closure flap does not have a downward extension to cover the zipper once you've zipped up and sealed the suit. It does have a small velcro tab just below the neck closure tab that closes over the zipper to (theoretically) keep it from accidentally unzipping. But, most suits have that AND the neck closure flap covers that, too. The ends of the arms and legs are also nicely bound, like the Akona Quantum Stretch. The worst thing I can say about this suit is that it doesn't seem to comform to my body quite as well as the other two. It is good everywhere except that if I bend my elbows or knees I notice a little bit of a ripple that forms in the suit where it's bulging slightly away from my skin. Despite that, with all the seals plus the extra thickness, I think this suit would be the warmest of the 3. And I like that is has red on it. I want a suit that does not have blue, purple, yellow, orange, or green on it, which eliminates a bunch of my options, but I'm just picky that way.

None of these three suits has any kind of lining in the interior or any zippers at the wrists or ankles. Other than their stretchiness, they were all about the same effort to pull up my arms and legs.

I didn't like that the regular Akona (non-Quantum Stretch) wouldn't work for me to zip it up on my own, and the neoprene felt about the same as the Cressi, but with no seals, so I would definitely choose the Cressi over it. Which brought it down to Cressi versus Quantum Stretch. The Quantum Stretch fit just slightly better and was, maybe, just a hair easier to get on. But since they are both in the 3mm class, they were both easy to get on. So, with the Quantum Stretch being thinner neoprene, having no seals, and costing 50% more, I decided that the Cressi is the one I would keep of the three.

But then..... I found that my LDS (local dive shop) was having a Closeout sale on the 2012 and 2013 models of Scuba Pro EverFlex suits. Their websuit said they were out of stock on 3/2mm suits, but they had the 2012 5/4mm in my size. And the 5/4 was showing as $180. I didn't really want a 5/4mm suit. But, I figured at $180, it might be worth the hassle of the extra thickness when I didn't need it and actually nice to have on some colder water dives. So, I went by at lunch to try one on.

The Scuba Pro EverFlex 5/4mm (2012) XXL fit me just as well as the other suits I'd already tried. It felt a hair tighter around the chest and stomach, but I don't know yet if that's just their fit or if it's because it's a thicker suit. The interior of the body area has a nice gold-colored velour-like lining. I expect it would be nice for warmth. But, it doesn't extend down the arms or legs, so it doesn't really help with putting the suit on. The wrists have smoothskin seals on the inside and they extend much further up the inside of the forearm than the smoothskin on the Cressi suit. The ankles have separate smoothskin seals with a zippered cuff over them. This will allow me to put boots on over the leg seals and then zip the outer part of the suit leg over the boot. I suspect this will give a better seal at the ankles than any of the other suits I tried. And in the neck there is a smoothskin seal that is a separate piece of material from the neoprene exterior of the collar. I believe this suit would seal even better than the Cressi. There is also a small D-ring built into the right side hip/upper thigh area that is, I believe, to clip a hood when you're not wearing it. The EverFlex 5/4 also seemed to fit better around the knees and elbows than the Cressi. It stayed tight when I flexed my knees and elbows. I was able to zip it almost all the way up by myself, but not quite. But that may also be partly to do with it being a 5/4mm, so not as stretchy. The zipper goes straight up the middle of the back. On the 2013 models, the zipper goes up the back at an angle. Just FYI. They had an XL 5/4 of the 2013, so I got to see the difference myself. I think everything else was the same.

I had all but whipped out my credit card to buy the EverFlex when I asked one last time "are you SURE you don't have this same suit in 3/2mm in my size?" The sales guy went in the warehouse to check one last time and lo and behold he turned up with one - another 2012 model. He said it had been hung up in the Ladies suit rack by mistake or they would have already sold it. After already trying on the 5/4, I went ahead and bought the 3/2 in XXL without even unbagging it. It was only $160. If, for some reason, it doesn't fit, I think I will return it and buy the EverFlex 5/4 - returning all 3 of the other suits I tried either way.

The Cressi and the 2 Akonas I tried are all nice and if I had just bought any one of them and gone with it, I'm sure I would be quite happy. But, the Scuba Pro EverFlex just seems like a higher quality suit. And with a Closeout price putting it right in the middle of the pack, the Scuba Pro EverFlex is Stuart's Best Buy. ;-)

Edit: I tried on the EverFlex 3/2 and realized that it does not have the zippers at the ankles like the 5/4. It's just smoothskin for 4 or 5 inches up the inside like the wrists. And, the smoothskin only goes about 3/4 of the way around the inside of the neck (which is probably true for the 5/4, too).

Last edited:
Thanks for this review. I'm also 6'1 and 230/235 so this helps with sizing. I was also looking at buying the Akona Quantum Stretch, although the 7mm. I wonder how different the fit and sizing will be going from 3mm to 7mm. I live in MI and will do a fair amount of lk. diving up here, so will probably also get the Bare 7mm ELASTEK Step-In Hooded Vest to layer over it for 14mm core.

If I were buying a new 7mm, I would get a Waterproof W2 7mm for $207 from here (if they still have your size in stock):

Waterproof W2 7mm Fullsuit

Note that Waterproof has a lot more size options than most brands. Definitely consult their sizing chart. I'm planning to go by the shop today, in fact. Since we're the same size, if you want me to try on a size for you, let me know. I can probably do that. :) I have never actually put on a Waterproof suit, myself. Maybe I shouldn't... I was considering grabbing one of these W7s, for future use, just because they are so good and so cheap right now. But, then I scored a nice, used Pyrostretch 7mm for $20 (SB Classifieds). I definitely can't justify the new W2 now.

This is actually the website for my local dive shop and I like them a lot. And the Waterproof brand suits are the nicest quality wetsuits I have seen. My g/f bought the W3 from CEA and it is awesome. The reasons I didn't also buy a W3 for myself are, one, I didn't want to spend $260, and, two, my g/f forbid me to get the same wetsuit as her. :) She doesn't want to be the couple on the boat that are new divers and show up in all shiny new matching gear. LOL

A couple of the things that make my g/f's suit extra nice are:

- Even though it's only a 3.5mm, it has zippers at the ankles and wrists with smoothskin cuffs inside. Compared to the SP EverFlex 3/2 that I bought, her hands and feet go through the sleeves/legs a lot easier.

- The suit has a lining that feels sort of like velour or something. And the lining goes all the way down the inside of the sleeves to where the smoothskin seals start. That also makes it a LOT easier to put the suit on when the suit and your skin are both damp or wet. My EverFlex fits great, but it is a bear to get the top back on after I get out of the water and peel it down.

---------- Post added December 11th, 2014 at 09:15 AM ----------

ps. CEA is also blowing out their Lavacore gear. They are no longer going to carry the brand so they have it on sale for Clearance prices. Those prices are not listed on the website, but if you call the store, I'm pretty sure they will let you order whatever you want at the in-store prices. Feel free to tell them Stuart sent you their way. I've been going in there so much the last 2 months I think everyone there knows me by name now. It's a family owned and run shop, so there aren't that many different people that work there.

Examples that I bought:

Lavacore sleeveless full suit (what I would call a Farmer John): LeisurePro price: $180. CEA price: $105.
Lavacore long sleeve shirt with hood: LP price: $130. CEA price: $75.

I dove our local quarry for my OW checkout dives. Temps ranged from 52 - 55F. I wore the LC FJ and socks ($14 from CEA - didn't have the hooded shirt yet) under a cheap rental 7mm, along with a regular skirted hood. I was totally comfortable.

---------- Post added December 11th, 2014 at 09:17 AM ----------

pps. I meant to also mention that I got an XS Scuba Pyrostretch 7mm suit for myself and it is also an XXL and fits me well.

---------- Post added December 11th, 2014 at 09:20 AM ----------

ppps. (geez!) The first picture you see of the W2 is not what the suit looks like. The 3rd picture (guy in Black/Orange suit) is what it actually looks like. I have looked at them in the shop, just not tried one on.

I've been curious about the underlayers. I thought I had read that they might actually inhibit the effectiveness of the neoprene -but I'm a newb so don't know. If you say it kept you warm in 52F then it's worth checking out.

And yes, please try the Waterproof suit! I don't know if I can actually pull off the 'Super Hero' look, but those are pretty sharp looking suits with some nice features. Reminds me of the Poseidon wetsuits. Almost too cool to cover up... :confused6: And yes... I know I'm focusing on the wrong things. I just finished watching Thunderball so I want to be 007 in a wetsuit now.

10-4. I will attempt to try some suits on for you.

I read everything I could find about the Lavacore stuff before I bought in. Popular opinion is that, when worn under a wetsuit, it adds the warmth equivalent to having a wetsuit that is 2 - 3 mm thicker (depending on who you ask).

And it doesn't compress like neoprene. Which means if you consider a 5mm wetsuit plus Lavacore fullsuit to be the equivalent of a 7mm wetsuit by itself, then, at depth, the 5mm+LC should be warmer, by a little bit, because the LC doesn't compress like the extra 2mm in the 7mm suit would.

Also, the LC is neutral buoyancy. So, if you get your weighting correct for a 7mm suit, then add LC under it, you shouldn't have to change your weighting.

My personal plan is, whenever I find that my 7mm+LC FJ+LC shirt/hood is not warm enough, I'm going to just add a 5/3mm hooded vest (which is 5mm hood and 3mm vest). If all that is not warm enough, then I'll either go drysuit or just not dive. But, based on my experience so far, I think that setup will be good for me down somewhere into the 40s. At least upper 40s, anyway.

---------- Post added December 11th, 2014 at 07:45 PM ----------

I tried 2 of the W2s on. The XXL/Tall was too big. The XL was too small. So, I would say an XL/Tall or XXL would be right. Unfortunately, I don't think they have either of those sizes left.

Thanks! I would ask how they felt but it's probably a little hard to judge when they don't quite fit. The more I look at them the more impressed I am though. The W4s are pretty sharp looking too (in a retro space-ranger kind of way). I'm curious what the difference is between the W2 and W4. One review I found had made some negative comments about the knee pads, maybe that has been improved in the W4. Maybe I'll post something in the Water Proof section here and see if they reply.

+++++++++++++++
-Or for that matter, what the difference is between the W1 and the W2. The Water Proof store has the W1 on closeout right now -and they still look damn nice.
Update: Scratch that, only the Women's 7mm W1 is left, though they do have the Men's 5mm W1 for $165.

Even though they didn't fit me right, I can definitely say that the lining was super nice! As I said before, it's kind of a velour feel and it extends all the way down the arms and legs right up to the where the seals start. It made sliding the suit on a LOT easier than regular suits that just have nylon-faced neoprene in the arms and legs.

And they felt nicely stretchy. It's hard to compare the stretchiness of trying on a 7mm suit to the stretchiness of the 3mm Quantum Stretch I tried on last month. But, the W2 definitely felt more stretchy than the Oceanic Ultra 7mm I wore last month. I would GUESS that it's comparable to the 7mm Quantum Stretch.

The W4 suits look really cool, to me. I like the aesthetics of them better than the W2, but mainly that's because I don't like orange. :) If I were going to wear a 7mm suit a lot (like, every weekend), I would definitely consider shelling out for the W4. As it is, I won't dive in cold water that much so I think my $20 7mm plus Lavacore underneath will do me just fine.

I tried on a W1 5mm a month or so ago. It was for sale on CL. It was too small for me or I would have bought it. It's an awesome suit and I liked the front zip. But, I don't think they have your/my size available anywhere any more. I looked after I tried that previous one on. However, you have to pick a dealer before you can check size availability, so maybe you might find one in your size local to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom