BARE HDC Tech Dry Reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shinythings

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just ordered one and it seems like I can't find any reviews on them yet. I know they are reasonably new but I'm sure someone out there has something to say about them on fit, performance, durability and the like.

I always wanted a DUI 50/50 suit and I even went as far as to fill out the order form in preparation for buying one. My old Pinnacle Evo II starting leaking pretty bad last month. I gave it a whirl in the pool and found that it was indeed the crotch seam that was coming apart. For a suit with as many dives as mine I figured the best option would be to go get the new DUI suit I always wanted. Unfortunately my quote in CAD$$ was almost $5,000 MSRP.

BARE has significantly better distribution here in Canada so the MSRP of the HDC Tech Dry with pockets was about $2800.

For a suit that features cordura, kevlar knee pads, pockets, front entry, the new stretchy mid section (replaces traditional telescoping torso) and neoprene reinforced high wear areas - I think the purchase decision was a no brainer.

I have been plugging DUI suits for a long time as I love them everytime I dive them, but today I am converted to BARE. DUI is simply overpriced in Canada. They need a better distributor here.

But anyway, back to the main question - has anyone been diving the HDC Tech Dry? Any feedback?

It is a newer design suit so there's not yet a great deal of feedback "on the streets" about it. From what I can tell it's a really solid, well built suit. If you have any questions about it just ask.

We had a guy buy one. They used the wrong glue to attach the pockets and pee valve, so after a few months the pockets were falling off. It's currently back at Bare. They did this with all the dry suits all four of us at my LDS bought over the summer, I think they are all out for repair and have been for a month.

My suit never leaked, but the pockets were clearly peeling off and the pee valve was just attached at the valve, the flange that should be glued to the suit had peeled loose.

Well after waiting 9 weeks for this suit I had to go away for 4 months so I have still yet to see/try on this suit.

Has anyone gotten some dive in on this suit in the mean time?

I've been pretty happy with mine so far. It's my first dry suite so I don't consider my opinion much to go on. I've had no issues with it on a little more than a dozen dives. Got some Lake Michigan and Superior dives coming up in the next few weeks so I may have more to go on. So far it seems pretty rugged and fairly light. No leaks other than operater
baby.gif
error. Once I had something caught in the zipper and once I had the neck seal sitting over an undergarment and got some neck leakage. I do find it tough to get the neck just right but I am a noob :dork2:and it is getting easier.

---------- Post added July 20th, 2015 at 11:00 PM ----------

I've been pretty happy with mine so far. It's my first dry suite so I don't consider my opinion much to go on. I've had no issues with it on a little more than a dozen dives. Got some Lake Michigan and Superior dives coming up in the next few weeks so I may have more to go on. So far it seems pretty rugged and fairly light. No leaks other than operator error. Once I had something caught in the zipper and once I had the neck seal sitting over an undergarment and got some neck leakage. I do find it tough to get the neck just right but I am a noob :dork2:and it is getting easier.

I know 3 people with those suits, and they all leaked. My bare non HDC suit didn't leak, but theirs did. They sent them back and I think 2 of the 3 are good now, though they installed the wrist seal wrong on one and it leaked until that was fixed. Not sure what was actually leaking on the 3rd, but he was kind of unhappy about it on Saturday getting ready to go back in with his OW class.

If I do another DS I'm thinking Santi or DUI FLX, or cheap with the Whites tech skin.

What do you prefer about the HDC Tech over the Bare XCS2 Tech?

I guess the XCS2 is heavier, but that's only something you'd ever notice while out of the water. I got an XCS2 a couple of months ago and LOVE how it dives. It's just like diving wet - except warm and dry! :) Seriously, though. I mean it fits close everywhere, so I don't feel like I ever have any extra air inside because of a telescoping or expanding section of the suit. The material is super durable. And the material provides some decent insulation, so I don't have to wear very much in the way of undergarments even in 38F water.

I also really like the diagonal front zip (like the HDC Tech has). I can don and doff the suit, including zipping up, all by myself with no trouble. Then go help my buddy zip his suit up while I'm making fun of him. :)

I'm just not a fan of a full neoprene suit. My last suit was cordura and after experience with nylon trilam I realized how much more durable these suits were. I also don't like having to wait so long for my suit to dry as I'm in the water 2-3 times per week. And also, despite what they say, I haven't seen a crushed neoprene suit that doesn't have excess buoyancy yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom