HydroOptix ZERO-d masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just saw a blurb about HyrdoOptix MEGA ZERO-d mask in Dive Training. The mask is a curved mask with really wide field of vision (160 degrees) that is supposed to not need contacts. I saw a prototype at DEMA and was impressed. I was wondering if anyone had actually seen one of these new masks.

I checked their web site but there wasn't anything new on it either.

I think he's talking about the new hydro optix for divers with 20/20 vision. I have heard it's supposed to be coming but I don't think it's actually in mass production yet.

Oops, my bad.

I use the old 4.5 dd. I talked with the folks at HO the other day and they pointed me tohttp://www.hydrooptix.com/new/. The Zero is a flat mask with continuous view at the sides due to them being curved. The Zero can be upgraded to the 3.5 dd with a lens change when you want to see the full effect of the curved lenses. The curved lenses take away distortions and magnification but may require contact use. They are going to let me know when the new mask is out, it better fits my prescription. I love the mask I've got - I just need a little less correction due to short arms disease and picture taking :D.

I was hoping it was going to be the curved lens that they showed at DEMA. Yes, I know the web site said it wasn't practical to do except in much more expensive full face and military applications. Still one can have hopes that someone could figure out a less expensive manufacturing process (assuming that's where the problem is).

I have to admit the zero-d still looks better than many of the masks I've seen before. And the conversion to the 3.5 holds a few interesting possibilities.

There were issues with the first masks and some cracking around the screws. They sent me a replacement kit for free to rectify the situation (I had not even known there was a situation :D) - great customer service! The mask has always been leaky for me, it is a little face shape dependent for a great fit. When I last talked to HO they said they have two versions of the skirt and are about to put out a third. The early version fits mustaches better. The third version (that is not out yet) is supposed to fit around the temples better.

The old 4.5 mask is for stronger nearsighted people. The upcoming 3.5 is more for medium nearsighted people. The new Zero mask is flat and for anybody.

SeaYoda:
There were issues with the first masks and some cracking around the screws. They sent me a replacement kit for free to rectify the situation (I had not even known there was a situation :D) - great customer service! The mask has always been leaky for me, it is a little face shape dependent for a great fit. When I last talked to HO they said they have two versions of the skirt and are about to put out a third. The early version fits mustaches better. The third version (that is not out yet) is supposed to fit around the temples better.

The old 4.5 mask is for stronger nearsighted people. The upcoming 3.5 is more for medium nearsighted people. The new Zero mask is flat and for anybody.

Yoda, I am always amazed at your wisdom and depth of knowledge. I have the 3.5 and it leaks also, but after playing with a lot of different masks, my conclusion is that most of the problem is because it has purges.

Purge valves sound like a great idea, but they have a very important, unintended effect - they prevent a mask from every having ever so slight positive pressure. May sound trivial, but without it, one can get little micro leaks from facial movements.

Because I have bad eyes, all my masks are ones that will allow lenses, and after having mask after mask leak, I just tried the same masks without purges - no leak.

This is not an issue with everyone, but if it is, having a purge is not a good thing.

My Hydro fits really well, but leaks underwater and that sucks. I hope their new mask will be available without purges.

It looks like the new masks have purges too. They seem to be pointed in a different angle (down instead of back toward the face). I wonder if you could seal the valves closed in order to create some positive pressure?

I have had some interesting effects with masks in the past and maybe my nasal physiology has something to do with my problems. I have been snorkeling before with a mask that had no purge. The mask actually squeezed in on my face so much that it hurt. I kept blowing into it but it kept sucking down on my face.

I have noticed that with the 4.5 dd that I get some squeeze if I don't adjust my regulator up a little. I also have seen the actual leak in the mask (I filled it with water and watched a little river drip out around the top right. I did not get a new gasket with the replacement lens (I never changed it until this week) and the HO rep told me to let her know if I have problems - they could get me a new gasket. These guys are great, they could just sell the mask and leave me to deal with the problems but they haven't. They've been helpful from the start. I'll be looking pretty hard at buying the 3.5 when it becomes available.

Back
Top Bottom