which ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TaMe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
before i do the open water course, one of the course requirements is that i provide my own fins mask and snorkel.
what brands should i be looking out for? also what price range should i be looking at?

TaMe:
before i do the open water course, one of the course requirements is that i provide my own fins mask and snorkel.
what brands should i be looking out for? also what price range should i be looking at?

The price range is really dependent on your budget.

The mask must fin properly. Usually this can be tested by putting the mask on your without using the mask strap (make sure your hair is not underneath the skirt of the mask). You then breath in and take your hands away from the mask. The mask should stay on your face if it fits properly. Also, make sure the mask is designed for diving as opposed to the cheap masks that they sell in department stores.

The fins and dive booties must fit properly. Your local dive shop should be able to help you get dive booties and fins that fit properly. I have been very happy with the Seasoft dive booties that I use to dive here in New England. I also, have a pair on ScubaPro Twin Jets and Atomic Liquid Blue split fins.

Both of these are excellent fins but they are also relatively expensive (around 180 USD).

Ask and in your local area to find a trustworthy local dive shop. Once you find a trustworthy dive shop they can give you personalized service and advice based on your needs.

thanks,
Is there anything i should watch out for with the snorkel?
(this is a stupid question, i know:D ) but wile we're on the topic, why do you need a snorkel. Is it becaus when you come to the surface, you can still stay in the water and not use up you air supply?:sorry19z:

TaMe:
(this is a stupid question, i know:D ) but wile we're on the topic, why do you need a snorkel. Is it becaus when you come to the surface, you can still stay in the water and not use up you air supply?:sorry19z:

Frankly, I haven't have been in dives where I NEED a snokel on the surface. In fact when I was getting OW certification, the LDS didn't supply snorkels for the setup. I didn't have one until I started my Divemaster training where "role model" comes into play. It is required by my instructor. So what I do is go out and get those pocket mask where I simply keep stow it in the pocket once I decend.

Though haven't the the experiences in regards to using snorkel other than training with the students, I always have one for ready.

TaMe:
thanks,

I will get my hand slapped from the collective instructors by not setting the proper example but I can't stand snorkels and try not to ever use them. Now during the pool sessions I will have one on to set the good example but after that, I only offer my opinion.

As far as mask fit goes make sure you are comfortable with it and it feels right. Try as many as possible. Put the mask on your face without the strap and walk around. Try to talk, look all around, wear it for a while. If it stays on your face without the strap while you talk and move around, you should be set in the water.

Fins-try as many pair as you can. See if you can rent different pairs. Try not to get fins too stiff to start. It will not leave a positive impression with you. Any of the major brands should provide you with a good pair. I am not completely current on all the latest fins but I am starting the like the Scubapro split fins, the TUSA fins, and I have always been a huge fan of the Force Fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom