Fins for someone with a disability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NiteLoki

New
Reaction score
Hey - I'm recently trying to get back into scuba diving. I was an avid scuba diver years ago, then I dislocated my knee. It caused some pretty bad nerve damage, resulting in a drop foot, which is basically when the foot is left paralyzed and cannot be lifted. Obviously, this poses some problems when scuba diving. I have a brace for my foot now that holds it in place, but I need to find some fins that offer a lot of power with little resistance. Too much strain really agitates my foot.

Question being: split fins or non-split? I was looking at the Atomics and the Mares Volo Power. It's been quite a while since I bought any dive equipment. Any suggestions???

Power with less effort...The splits work well and the Mares VOLOS also. The VOLOS are slightly lighter fins. Puts less strain on the calf and ankles.

Not sure about your range of motion and what conditions you will dive in...but if I were you. Get to a LDS and rent some stuff...give it a go in the pool before anything. You will see what works for you. If you have good leg strenght and the flexing of the bad foot is a no no...trying the fins on in the pool will be the best solution for you now.

Have at it

Stephen

NiteLoki:
Hey - I'm recently trying to get back into scuba diving. I was an avid scuba diver years ago, then I dislocated my knee. It caused some pretty bad nerve damage, resulting in a drop foot, which is basically when the foot is left paralyzed and cannot be lifted. Obviously, this poses some problems when scuba diving. I have a brace for my foot now that holds it in place, but I need to find some fins that offer a lot of power with little resistance. Too much strain really agitates my foot.

Question being: split fins or non-split? I was looking at the Atomics and the Mares Volo Power. It's been quite a while since I bought any dive equipment. Any suggestions???

NiteLoki: Congratulations on getting back U/W. This is a very biased opinion, but, I would suggest the bio-fin pro model. It is 100% natural rubber with a soft and comfortable foot pocket. It offers lots of power with very little resistance. It has been rated a #1 fin every year since first introduced. We receive lots of mail from folks who have had various types of conditions that made it difficult to dive. They talk about the lack of stress and the comfort and power that the bio-fins provide.
www.split-fins.com/awards.htm
www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_Pro.htm

If possible try out the various models before you actually buy a new pair of fins.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll check out some local dive shops and see if I can try them out myself.

I never thought I would hear myself uttering these words, however, you may want to look at Force Fins. While I do not have any extensive experience with them, there are those on the board who do. Those who like them state that they offer adequate power with minimal resistance. They require a slightly different kick stroke, according to those who use them, something more like 'bicycling'. With your knee and a brace, you may find that these offer you an option that works better for you than splits.

But check with Force Fin users for more information, I'm going primarily off what they've stated. More here:
http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/scuba_catalog.htm

Best with getting back into diving.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom