Pro Ear Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had trouble equalizing early on, and it worked for me. It made it a bit easier to equalize.

However, the real answer to my problems was going to see a doctor with knowledge of diving to help me correct the problem. (Mine was allergies - I was prescribed some medication for use before a dive - won't post what here though since I don't want anyone trying to self medicate) I've never had an issue since. So go see a doctor, you can find ones recomended by DAN in your area by calling them.

Such devices keep water from entering the external ear, while equalization involves the use of the Eustachian Tubes to equalize the pressure in the middle ear. I can not see how such devices would be any assistance to a person who is having trouble clearing their ears.

I'd shift to a dry hood in that case (something I did decades ago).

I can't really explain why it works, but I use one myself for about three years meanwhile and it works.
I assume that it is related to the fact that there is only air and no water in the outer ear and on the eardrums. In which way that fact has an effect on the function of the Eustachian Tubes I can't say.

May be it's one of these things in life were it's valid: "What works, works!":wink:

It should not matter what fluid, air or water, is up against your tympanum. I'd have to guess placebo effect.

May be it should, may be it should not. Whatever - What works, works!

May be it should, may be it should not. Whatever - What works, works!
When it comes to dive gear I try to be a little more thoughtful rather than just empirical.

When it comes to dive gear I try to be a little more thoughtful rather than just empirical.

Good words, but your statements have me to guess that you don't know more about that stuff than me. Otherwise you would not have to guess yoursself - you would know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom