my Morfin experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knotical

perpetual student
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
They're weird looking and I'm a skeptic. I was pretty convinced they were just a gimmick, but I was offered a pair cheap and figured what the heck.

So I ran some tests. It's not possible to do anything scientific such as a double blind because the participant sees what he is putting on his feet, and because the kicks required for some fins are different.

I did timed laps with my best paddles, my favorite Force Fins and the Morfins. I both sprinted and swam at sustainable speeds.

I was surprised to find that without modifying my flutter kick, the times for the Morfins were comparable to paddles!

I then experimented with various kicks and maneuvers (frog, helicopter, etc.), and the Morfins acted almost the same as paddles.

But I prefer my Force Fins over paddles, both because I can get about 10% better times, and more importantly because they put very little stress on the front of the ankle (is that the anterior tibialis?). The down side was that it took me some time and teaching myself some different kicks before I was as maneuverable with the Force Fins as I was with paddles.

Now here's where it got interesting for me. The Morfin website attempts to show another way to kick. If I've figured it out correctly, it's kind of like stomping grapes with first one heel, then the other. Because of the aquadynamics (is that a word?) of the Morfins, this grape-stomping action ends up with the fins pointing the same way as if you were doing a standard flutter kick. But you appear to be doing a fairly shallow bicycle kick. After a bit of experimenting, I was able to again match the times of my paddle fins. But here's the kicker: used this way, they didn't stress the fronts of the ankles! And maybe with practice, I could improve my times.

In summary,
Paddles are almost universal, but Morfins were comparable for me.
Force Fins and Morfins (with the right kick) don't put nearly as much stress on the ankles as paddles.
Force Fins and Morfins are smaller – a travel consideration.

If you have a chance to borrow someone's Morfins, I strongly suggest you play around with them. Like me, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Disclosure: The shop with which I am affiliated sells neither Force Fins nor Morfins. I have no financial interest in either brand.

I love my MorFins. I'm using the newest ones with the powerbands. They don't tangle in my flag at all (the older version would get wrapped sometimes). I don't use the modified kick. It makes my heartbeat/breathing rate get higher than I would like during my dives so I just use normal kicks and I find the MorFins extremely maneuverable and comfortable to use. I will probably never try another fin I like better than the MorFins. I've compared them to dozens of other brands and styles and NOTHING comes close. I'm not getting paid to say that either. It is the way I truly feel about the MorFins. I've discovered that it's not about pushing water with your legs and feet. It's about moving through the water with least resistance. That's what MorFins allow me to do.

The Mor-Fins are now starting to be called Predator Power fins because every predator in the ocean from sea lions, to whales, to fish, to turtles, to sharks all use Aquatic Wings to move. It's not a questions whether it works since all predators use these wing shapes, the only question is whether people can use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom