DiveOptx / Bifocals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marral

Reaction score
Guelph, Ontario (by way of Washington, D.C., Wisco
Am very recently certified, and need bifocals. I purchased a pair of DiveOptx, and am not entirely pleased with them for 2 reasons:
(1) I can't get them to stay put; and (2) with my mask (Cressi Big Eyes), the placement of the lenses is less than satisfactory to enable me to read gauge/compass. I'll save fogging problems for another post :)

Any suggestions?

Marral,

I have used DiveOptx for about 6 months now with no problems! Maybe you did not go through the whole "insertion" procedure? For example, you need to remove any antifog before putting the lenses on the dive mask. You can do this with Soft Scrub or non-gel tooth paste. Then, you must "massage" out any air bubbles and leave the mask to dry for 24 hrs. That is very important! Check it out again....

By the way, I use a very hi-tech defog: Johnsons No Tears Baby Shampoo and it has never caused the DiveOptx lenses to come off.

In addition, you can place the lenses anywhere you want--in order to use them optimally. Probably you should consider putting them next to a side of the mask lens. But, you can test out the best location by moving the Dive Optx lens around while it is wet and putting the mask on.

Good luck and let us know how things work...

Joewr

,,,and welcome to the boards.

I've used Dive Optics for about a year now. I have a Mares Lirica mask.I also have them in another mask I use on darker days. I have the lenses in the lower part of the mask almost like a bifocal, but towards the outside.I could get away with just a lens in the left side to read my computer but I have the right side in for redundancy. Follow the Instructions and Joewr's suggestions and they should be fine. Once I had one lens that just didn't want to stay put, but after three or four tries it did.

they'll drive you :bonk: if you have one sliding around on the mask during a dive. :D:

Tavi

Greetings,

I had not heard of the DiveOptx before this thread and it definately looks like a solution I might be able to use for myself.

However, I was wondering what other perscription options are available to me as a sight impared person. My eyes are pretty bad (I can't drive without them and not kill perdestrians) at distance but I can read a book without them. Needless to say I'm near sighted.

Thanks for any further info.

SpyderTek

Hi, SpyderTec,

Sorry to say that DiveOptx is only available in "far-sighted" version as of this month. I am not certain why they do not make near-sighted versions, but you might consider dropping them a line:

http://www.boatshow.com/MARINEMARKET/LENSES/DiveOptxOrderUSA.html

This site offers them for $40.00, but I got mine at my LDS for $30.00.

Good luck and please let us know what you discover...

Joewr

Marral,

I've got to concur with the others-my Diveoptx work very well. I've got them on a pair of Mares Operas, and use the Johnsons baby shampoo or just spit. They're a little weird the first dive, but I don't even notice them anymore. What I DO notice is my SPG reading!

Try reinstalling them as per Joewr's instructions. If you get all the bubbles out, you'll probably see a big difference. Also, as said, place them low and to the outside of your lens's.

Good luck.

Jack

SpyderTec, I'm near sighted too and I use a Sea Vision mask. You provide them with your prescription and they ground the lenses to fit you...just like a pair of glasses. They aren't cheap, $170 +/- depending on the other features available. I wore my first pair for 5 years before I got a pair with an updated RX but the old ones moved to back-ups.

Lots of shops carry these masks and you can go in and try them on to see if the mask itself will fit. If so, it's a simple phone call/fax to order what you need.

Sea Vision

joewr:
Hi, SpyderTec,

Sorry to say that DiveOptx is only available in "far-sighted" version as of this month. I am not certain why they do not make near-sighted versions, but you might consider dropping them a line:

http://www.boatshow.com/MARINEMARKET/LENSES/DiveOptxOrderUSA.html

This site offers them for $40.00, but I got mine at my LDS for $30.00.

Good luck and please let us know what you discover...

Joewr

I got my DiveOptx last week from Scubatoys.com - $29.95 + shipping

I wear "progressive" (bifocal) glasses.

My solution was to get disposable contact lenses (wear one pair all day and throw them away), with the left eye correction adjusted for better near vision (to read gauges, etc.) and the right eye adjusted for distance vision. It only took a day or two to get used to it - the same kind of adjustment I had to make with my first pair of bifocals - it's not optimal, but it really does work pretty well. It also means that I can still see clearly when I take off the mask, I can switch masks without having to buy lenses for each of them, and I can wear cheap sunglasses on the boat or beach instead of expensive prescription sunglasses.

A 90 day supply (90 lenses for each eye), which I only use for diving or swimming costs about $90, or $1/day of diving, or maybe $2 or $3 per day if I want to change them out between dives. I haven't lost one yet in the water, but if I did it would only cost me ~$1 to replace the pair.

Back
Top Bottom