Reflections on Vortex Springs with Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to give my opinion of my experience at Vortex Spring. On January 26-27, 2008 we went to Vortex Spring, Ponce De Leon, FL for my NAUI Advance Rescue Class. Having grown up on the Florida Panhandle, I have been very familiar with Vortex over the years. I am not trying to start discussions about the past....just want to say how happy I am about the changes taking place at Vortex.

Shane, the new manager is really doing a great job. The price for diving is much more affordable these days. Shane showed me the new compressors and air system that he has installed....all I can say is IMPRESSIVE! I have attached pictures below. Vortex will now be banking Nitrox and has an all new system.
77.jpg

1717.jpg

1818.jpg

2525.jpg

Shane is also extremely accomodating to divers. On Saturday, the air temps were in the low 40's, the wind and rain made SI conditions pretty miserable. Vortex opened the Pine Lodge for divers. They had the heat going and made the showers and rooms available to divers for there SI. This was a great gift and made our dives more bearable.

I know sometimes we only hear about the bad things going on. I just wanted to thank Shane and Vortex for working with us last weekend. Vortex continues to be a diver friendly place and I appreciate the efforts. Just wanted to say THANKS!

Great thread Glen!

I've noticed a great improvement in attitude at Vortex as well. They really are trying to get the place back on track.

That bank system is friggin nice, Shane gave me a peak at it a couple months ago, but it wasn't plumbed yet. Great addition though, partial pressure fills were quite slow there before :)

HOLY SMOKES! That's awesome to hear (and see). Kudo's to Shane. Looks like he's really trying to get some nice stuff done over there.

Does anyone have any photos of the shop? I am wondering what they are doing with that. Also if they will be carrying any specific brands of gear.

are all those bottle hooked together in one large huge bank? (that's what it looks like by the piping in the pic... maybe I just can't see where they are broken apart somewhere...)

I used to dive there before some of you were born. It used to be very nice and then slowly it became a junk place and all that other junk they threw in the basin detracted more and more from the diving there until I finally decided to never go back. If they clean it up, make it more natural looking, get some of the stupid stuff out of the basin it may be a nice place to go again just for a fun dip and camping etc. Hope he does well, good luck to him.

N

I believe Shane said they are broken in to four banks. He is eventually going to make them four deep. They have the unit that makes their own oxygen, which is pretty cool. I know, it doesn't make it but you know what I mean. He can blend up to 40% with his machines. He will have oxygen on hand to blend higher if people desire that. He will bank 32%.

Perrone, shop looks the same. Haven't seen any changes there yet. Like Nemrod, I would love to see the spring go back to a more natural state. I think that would be a GREAT improvement. They have removed the carpet mess that had been put in there so that is good.

But, the eels are still there....and they are extremely friendly....or hungry. I took these pictures Sunday
1.jpg

2.jpg

are all those bottle hooked together in one large huge bank? (that's what it looks like by the piping in the pic... maybe I just can't see where they are broken apart somewhere...)

What a beautiful (and very clean looking) fill station!

They quit carrying ScubaPro and are leaning towards Dive Rite and another recreational oriented brand I believe.

Word on the street says they might pull out one of the faux caves(or both?). That'd be super nice :)

Hello to those that do not know me yet, I am Shane the new manager of Vortex and those that do hope to see you soon. The air system that you see there is 26 500cf tanks 6000psi. Four of the tanks are being used for banked Nitrox, the other 22 are split into two banks of 11. The plan is to add 26 tanks a year (for hydro purposes)ending with 4 banks of 22 for air and 4 banks of 4 for nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom