"The Wetter The Better" save lionfish from death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcpalmer1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was on a dive Saturday. We came across another diver from another dive boat that was pointing something out. We came over. It was a lionfish. Two divers from our group took out their knifes was going to risk getting stung in order to kill it. The other diver blocked them. It was as close to a underwater fight as you could get without someone getting killed. The diver succeeded in saving the lionfish from being killed. Once we were back on the boat they called over the radio. It turns out it was the dive master from The Wetter The Better that saved the lionfish. I have seen first hand the destruction they do. Lionfish can lay eggs every 55 days. We can not stop them but right now with the small number of them here in Florida everyone we kill will make a difference. If we wait until they have destroyed the ecosystem it will be to late. I feel the actions by that dive master is unacceptable. I will be calling and letting them know that the need to train their employees. I hope if you agree with me you will call or email to. Here is their website. Scuba Diving in the Palm Beach area - Walkers Dive Charters I personally will never spend my money with a company that is helping destroy our reefs.

If you are familiar with the area in West Palm it was on the inside edge of the reef next to the second communication cable south of the Trench. If anyone kills it I will pay a $20 reward to them.

It has been asked to kill these invasive species because they are damaging the natural ecosystem. They are a transplant from the Pacific and have no natural enemies and of course other species have no defense or instinctive knowledge to avoid them. They are wrecking havoc on the Bahamas reef ecosystem.

Sometimes distasteful things are needed to save the larger value.

N

Would you have an objection to someone removing it, without killing it? I agree, we don't want them on our reefs but knifing the fish, doesn't sound like the best option. You'd have a tough time killing it without taking a spine in the hand.

Sometimes distasteful things are needed to save the larger value.

N

From what I have read, they are quite tasteful....now if we could just get some yuppie trend going to eat the things for high dollar the problem would be solved. How about Lionfish sushi !!
Seriously, something like issuing kill permits to any diver who is willing to take them may would help. The permit would be vaild in all waters including any marine park as long as the diver took only lion fish...a get out of jail free card for having a spear in a park if you will.

Would you have an objection to someone removing it, without killing it? I agree, we don't want them on our reefs but knifing the fish, doesn't sound like the best option. You'd have a tough time killing it without taking a spine in the hand.

Depends on what you mean by "remove". If that means bagged and dumped on land, fine but if it means move to another spot safe and alive, at best you have done nothing and at worst you have assisted it in spreading. A knife is not the best weapon for sure, although I suspect they would be fairly easy to get with one, they pretty much ignore divers...they seem to believe they are the baddest thing on the reef and rightfully so. A small pole spear on the other hand would do nicely.

I'm an aquarist as well as a diver and spearo. If you can get close enough to stab it with a knife, I would think you can take it in a landing net. Since they are voracious feeders, I'm sure I'd have no problem enticing one to take a lure or bait. I know researchers have caught sharks by hand feeding them bait.
I certainly wouldn't object to someone spearing it, but if spearing from my boat and I come across one; I'd probably try to capture it for one of my tanks.

I was on a dive Saturday. We came across another diver from another dive boat that was pointing something out. We came over. It was a lionfish. Two divers from our group took out their knifes was going to risk getting stung in order to kill it. The other diver blocked them. It was as close to a underwater fight as you could get without someone getting killed. The diver succeeded in saving the lionfish from being killed. Once we were back on the boat they called over the radio. It turns out it was the dive master from The Wetter The Better that saved the lionfish.

Maybe they like Brazilian Pepper trees too:lotsalove: Ive always held the hunters code of 'Kill only what you can eat', but in the case of invasive Lionfish, I would kill it if possible. I'm usually carrying the speargun and might try to shoot a freeshaft right through it.... Maybe a 'most effective way to exterminate lionfish' thread could be put up for those against invasive species takeovers.

There is no question, Lionfish are a true menace and it is important for all of us to take whatever action we can. I've witnessed this firsthand in the Caribbean and these predators are moving north.

This is not a case of an endangered species or protecting habitat. These fish are not supposed to be here.

What is truly needed are efforts by governments and NGOs to create a practical eradication program. In the meantime, as has been noted, killing them one by one may not get rid of them, but it will certainly help until a better solution can be found.

Here is a column I wrote on this very subject for Club Med: Lionfish It provides some additional information.

Jeff

I don't care how it is removed as long at it is not in an ocean it is not suppose to be. Had I had a spear gun I would have been dead. I would have loved to have had a net. We had none of these. All we had was a knife. I would be willing to be stung in order to protect the ocean I love. It would have been a small price to pay. I am just disgusted that a dive operation would be protecting them. It is one thing not wanting to help with a problem. It is another to stop other people who are willing to help. In other country's they are paying people to kill them. They are even having contest with thousands in prizes. Here in the US the government doesn't want to officially say kill them because if you a allergic to bees; a sting from a lionfish could kill you. People here are so sue happy no one wants to be responsible. If you want info on how bad they are destroying to environment it is easy to find.

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast- msnbc.com

REPORT SITING TO: Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) | Diving That Counts

Dreaded lionfish invades Florida Keys | World Zoo Today

Lionfish Research Program | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

REEF Lionfish Research Media Coverage | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

Lion Fish Pic in Cays off Abaco Bahamas | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

http://coastalscience.noaa.gov/documents/lionfish_fish_id.pdf

Lionfish Hunter

Invasion of the Lionfish | Science & Nature | Smithsonian Magazine

I found this on scuba board:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-267449.html

http://home.eisf.org/files/active/1/lionfish fishing flyer2.pdf

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom