Suggestions for 3 day Florida Keys trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcabbar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

We will be visiting Florida Keys for a 3 day diving trip with my wife (We have PADI advanced open water / CMAS 2*). We have never been there before, and was wondering which area should we focus on.

Where are the best diving sites and which location should we stay close to (Key West, Duck Key, etc.)? Can you recommend any particular / spectacular diving site(s) that we should not miss for this short trip?

Thanks.

Not to point out the obvious but John Pennecamp park in Key Largo has Molasses reef, and the Spiegel Grove. If we are talking not to be missed, I think they both are worthy of the list.

I like to stay and dive in Key Largo.

I don't know what kind of diving you like to do.

In my opinion, Key Largo has the best diving in the keys. You have the shallow water reefs like Molassus Reef, the Elbow, Dry Rocks, and the wreck of the Benwood. These dives are shallow and generally have good soft and hard corals and a bunch of fish. There are quite a few good dive operators and places to stay on Key Largo. With just OW certification, I don't know if anyone would take you to the deep wrecks. There have been fatalities out there so the dive operators are careful about qualifications.

I think the best bang for the buck (and time) is in Key Largo...
If you're doing wrecks, There's the Duane, Eagle, and the Spiegel Grove... (also the Bibb, but it's not my favorite)
Reefs, there's Molasses, Elbow, French, Pickles, Conch (you can do a drift here as well, on the wall), and others
Night Dives, the Benwood wreck can't be beat...

Definitely Key Largo.

We go to the Keys to relax and just enjoy diving and the "Keys" lifestyle. Key Largo is way too commercial and busy for that so we always stay in Islamorada. The Key Lantern Inn is a cheap place to stay, no frills but clean. The La Jolla resort is similar but there are more things to do, also clean. We always dive with Key Dives, one of the best boats and well ran establishment caring people. If you want to unplug take my advice. You can dive the Eagle there, and lots of reefs too. You can always go to the wrecks in Key Largo on your way back

I've been diving the Keys since 1974 and I've done them all from Key Largo to Key West.

In my opinion you will get your money and your times worth in Key Largo.

As it has already been mentioned above, the dive options are greatest in Key Largo.

My favorite place to stay while in Key Largo is Amy Slates Amoray Dive Resort.

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

Key Largo! The best dive site both deep and shallow...

We have stayed in marathon and also Key West and dove with multiple operators. Be specific about your needs(or wants). We do not like cattle boats and prefer 6 packs. I have heard fabulous things about Amoray in Key Largo and plan to stay with them soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom