That's some expensive lobster...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For immediate release: December 11, 2008

Photo: Go to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and click on Newsroom.

That's some expensive lobster

A Volusia County corporation and a Volusia County man have paid $20,000 in federal fines and have been prohibited from operating their charter fishing business for 30 days. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) law enforcement officers found illegal lobsters on board their vessel X-Stream about two months ago near New Smyrna Beach.
The federal fines and fisheries permit sanctions were handed down recently by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) against vessel owner Daniel J. Webster, P.A., of Daytona Beach, and Garret William Taynai, captain of the X-Stream.
The owner and operator both violated the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation Management Act by exceeding bag limits of lobster, wringing and spearing lobster, possessing egg-bearing lobster and possessing undersize lobster, said NOAA Special Agent Richard Chesler.
FWC officers Clay McDonough and Kelly Kazmierczak discovered the violations while they were inspecting the charter fishing vesselÃÔ catch on Sept. 14, in the Intracoastal Waterway at Marker 24 near New Smyrna Beach.
McDonough and Kazmierczak boarded the charter boat at about 6:30 p.m., Sept. 14 and found 42 legal spiny lobsters and an assortment of reef fish in a fish cooler. However, when McDonough investigated an area beneath the cooler he discovered a bucket that contained 20 lobster tails that had been separated from the bodies (wrung). Eggs had been scraped off three of the tails; one tail was speared and one was under the legal size limit all violations. In addition, the vessel had 20 lobsters over the legal limit.
Webster and Taynai told the FWC officers they caught the lobsters while diving 28 miles east of Ponce Inlet in the Atlantic Ocean. Since the lobsters were taken in federal waters, FWC and NOAA officials agreed federal jurisdiction was most appropriate for prosecution.
Chesler said the FWC and NOAA frequently work jointly to apprehend and prosecute those who violate federal fisheries laws.
Lobster rules are in place to help prevent overfishing the resource, and when people ignore the rules by keeping more than allowed, using illegal methods to obtain them and taking egg-bearing females, it is a serious threat to the lobster population, said Maj. Jack Daugherty, FWCÃÔ law enforcement commander for the Northeast Region. By working together, FWC and NOAA can apprehend and prosecute poachers and help ensure the lobster population remains healthy today and in the future.
NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement has numerous joint enforcement agreements that federally deputize fish and wildlife and environmental law enforcement officers in 23 coastal states and territories, including Florida, to enforce federal fisheries regulations.
-30-
JMH/NE
HPC
_____

Chalk one up for the good guys. Wonder how many others are out there doing the same think and not getting caught. We have seen a decline in lobster down here in the Keys. I'm sure some of this is due to illegal activities. Thanks for posting this NetDoc.

Good Diving,

28 miles out of Ponce?? How deep is it out there I wonder?? I know it starts getting pretty deep out of Port Canaveral that far out...I mean, really, how long can you stay down at that depth to search for lobster?? Not sure if their story is realistic...how many people go lobster hunting in 100ft of water?? Heck it takes me 10-15 mins sometimes to find ONE!!

I have noticed a decline in the lobs down there in the keys also over the last few yrs. Maybe just the smaller bag limit doesnt help there, might should bump the size limit also for rec. and commercial fishermen. Or it might help alot to severely limit the commercial boys a bit. They take so many it is scary!!

The boat I was on in Pompano over the weekend, The Avid Diver, dropped a diver in 130+' of water. He logged about 30 minutes underwater and came back with 5 lobsters!

I was was on a shallower dive and found 0.

License suspended for only 30 days? Huh, I would have thought it would be longer than that.

28 miles out of Ponce??
80'-150' Way doable. My biggest ever lobster came from 20+ miles out of Ponce in about 100' of water.

Thats not as bad as this one. I found this at keysnet.com

Lobster mobsters charged for shorts, wrung tails
249 illegal crawfish found

By KEVIN WADLOW
kwadlow@keynoter.com
Posted - Wednesday, December 10, 2008 07:01 AM EST

State marine officers seized 249 undersized lobster Sunday after searching a commercial fishing boat near the Coco Plum area of Marathon.

Five men were charged, including three who listed Upper Keys addresses and one man from Homestead. No address was available for the fifth suspect.

"The damage caused to the lobster fishery by taking this many juvenile lobster is immeasurable," said Gabriella Ferraro, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. "These are lobster that will never have the chance to reproduce."

FWC officers made the arrests around 5:30 p.m. Sunday near Avenue A on Coco Plum. The lobster tails reportedly had been illegally separated from the crawfish while on the water.

All the conservation charges -- primarily possession of undersized lobster and possession of wrung tails on the water -- are misdemeanors. But because more than 100 crawfish are involved, additional fines could be imposed if the men are convicted.

Maximum fines could exceed $6,000 per suspect if convicted, Ferraro said.

An FWC investigator made the arrests following a catch inspection as part of his routine patrol, Ferraro said.

Facing charges in the case are Geovani Valladares-Ramirez, 40, of Plantation Key; Douglass Valladares, 33, of Tavernier; Luis Valaquez Valladares, 19, of Key Largo; Alexey Lopez, 31, of Homestead; and Yuniel Gonzalez-Moreno, 23, no address listed.

Facing charges in the case are Geovani Valladares-Ramirez, 40, of Plantation Key; Douglass Valladares, 33, of Tavernier; Luis Valaquez Valladares, 19, of Key Largo; Alexey Lopez, 31, of Homestead; and Yuniel Gonzalez-Moreno, 23, no address listed.

I wonder if judging by the names if they were all illegals who were working here illegally... if that's so... they they could prob care less about these laws/regulations and have been doing that every week, and just now got caught.

I doubt any of these caught got caught their "first time doing it". It's the ones that do it every week like this that really bring down the lobster population.

(of course just because they have hispanic names doesn't make them illegals either.... I should point out).

So this boat dropped A DIVER, as in ONE diver, in 130ft to go bug hunting and left him there. Then took you to a shallower spot and dropped you, then went back to get the other guy??

Referring to the first post.. I remember hearing about that guy somewhere. This is not the first time he has been caught. Somewhere back in my head I recall he had his captains license taken away.. trying to recall....divers, running over flags.... maybe I read it here a few months back....? Dang. I hate getting old(er).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom