Help with Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey All,
Brand new to this board. Doing my first trip to the keys, and need some advice. The obvious stuff:
1) Where do I stay. I like cheap and clean....don't need many frills, although free internet for my laptop would be nice. Functional bed, functional shower. That's about it.
2) Whom do I dive with? Related a bit to where should I stay, but I'll have a car and can go from A to B if necessary. Any dive ops to avoid like the plague?
3) What else do I do there. I'll have just come off of two weeks of studying, and am planning to dive daily Thu, Fri, Sat (arriving Wed, leaving Sun). Any other things I just shouldn't miss?
4) What are the water temps like in October? One seven full length should be fine, no? Or is that too much and I should just bring my shortie?

A little about me since I'm new here. I've been diving for 12 years, certified through Search and Rescue, have somewhere between two and three hundred dives (I stopped counting a long time ago), and dive regularly in the waters around Boston. I can do deep and night, but not technical.

Lots of recent threads on the matter: here are a few....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/434876-questions-diving-keys.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/434033-keys-diving-help-needed.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/433840-need-place-stay-key-largo.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/433678-first-time-key-largo.html

I get cold easily so would probably wear a 3MM and possibly a 2MM vest under it (thats what I am wearing in Jupiter right now where temps are in the low 80's). My bet is temps will still be in the low 80's or high 70's over the next few weeks.

Hey Homelessdoc -

Welcome aboard! There are so many friendly people here and I'm sure you'll get lots of help. It's amazing that so many people have completely different perspectives on things, so just gather all the information and decide what's best for you :D

Regarding exposure protection, I have a completely different attitude. We live in south Louisiana and I'm very accustomed to heat and humidity. For water 80 degrees and above, I'm wearing a skin...for the exposure protection only. If it's 78 - 79 degrees, I'll throw a 3 mm shorty over my skin and stay warm enough. If it's 77 degrees and a dive is planned that I REALLY don't want to miss, I will grudgingly put on my 1 mm wetsuit and throw my 3 mm shorty over it. If it's under 77 degrees...forget it - I ain't playing. But that's just me :rofl3:

You are so going to love Key Largo! We made our first dive trip there in 2004 and loved it so much that we have become regular visitors. On your first trip, probably the best thing to do is hang around the main marina area at Key Largo. There are numerous dive operations and hotels located around the marina, and it would be easy for you to get to several of the different restaurants and attractions around there. You can get the lay of the land for all those repeat trips you'll be planning in the future :wink:

The shop we dive with is called Rainbow Reef Dive Center. We have gotten to know the owner and staff members. Basically they are the kind of people we like to do business with. They run a safe, clean, fun operation and the care they demonstrate for their divers has us wanting to go back again and again.

No matter who you decide to dive with, the RRDC website is very comprehensive and will give you lots of information about the Key Largo area. You were asking about water temps...the website has information about current water temps scrolling across the top of the site - it's really convenient. They also have links to a couple of NOAA buoys in the area listing current conditions and if that's not enough, you can click on links to live webcams and see for yourself what's happening.

Here is the link: Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

One of our main attractions with Rainbow Reef is that they have cooperative agreements with several of the hotels around the marina. They can offer you package rates with any of them and actually make the arrangements for you. I'm kinda spoiled like that - I make one phone call to Rainbow Reef and I'm done. The hardest part is deciding which dives to book when you make the reservation :D They've got two boats going out each morning. One goes to the deeper wreck dives like the Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, etc. and the other goes to the shallower reef sites. We usually try to mix it up so we get to sample a little of everything. A benefit to diving with RRDC is that they reward you with discounts for multiple days of diving. You mentioned you would be diving for three days...there's a discount for that! The discount is even greater for five days, which is what we do. Plus all dives include a free dive guide if you are interested. If not, you can opt out and dive on your own.

As far as hotels go, we used to stay at Marina del Mar (which is pet friendly)when we had our dog, but unfortunately he passed away so now we have a little more freedom when choosing our lodging preferences. During our last visit in late July/early August, we chose to stay at Key West Inn (formerly Suites of Key Largo). It was nothing fancy, but we really enjoyed having a balcony overlooking the marina and watching the boats go by. The $99/nt price tag wasn't too bad either. Plus there was parking available under the building (in the shade) and the dive shop was very close by. If you want something more mainstream, there's also the Holiday Inn Key Largo and the Courtyard by Marriott, which is where the dive shop is located.

This is my recommendation based on our personal experiences. I'm sure you will get lots more helpful information here soon. I don't think there are any bad choices...Key Largo is awesome! Have a wonderful first trip and PLEASE come back and tell us all about your first impressions. Trip reports help us live in Key Largo vicariously until we are able to return!

'Diva

Rainbow reef is good, so is Amoray Dive. Amoray has clean, basic accomodations on site. Very convenient. Lots of info if you look around in SB.

Rainbow Reef always puts a guide in the water at no additional cost, you just have to ask. This can be good if you are anxious about your first few dives.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm reviewing nephrology and neurology today, but at some point before next Wednesday, I'll sort through everything and book a place to stay and a dive shop

Riveting topics to be sure :wink: Somehow I think you will REALLY enjoy researching your dive trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom