How Would You React To Being Approached By A Potentially Dangerous Shark?

How Do You Believe You Would React?

• Appreciate the encounter - that was fun, hope you get to do it again?

Votes: 24 42.1%
  • Appreciate it, but conflicted - would be very ambivalent about wanting it to happen again.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Appreciate it, but wary - enjoyed it in hindsight, but would rather that not happen.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Neutral - no strong feelings either way. Watch it come, watch it go, okay, back to reef diving...

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Upset about it - sharks don't usually approach divers, and this one could've been dangerous.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Upset, and reactive - want to know why this happened. Might something be causing this?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upset and quite reactive - want to know why, and may want 'something done' about it.

• Strong fear - you fear potential 'man-eaters' and don't want them near. No panic.

• Strong fear - potential to panic, or at least make a vigorous effort to leave the area.

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recent debating on shark feeding dives has raised a potential theoretical concern; what if sharks accustomed to being fed during shark feeding dives associate scuba divers with free hand-outs, and later approach regular recreational scuba divers, including at other dive sites? The concern was raised that this could frighten recreational divers and lead to anti-shark acts, such as legislation to cull them or a few divers carrying spear guns or bang sticks & using them, and I suppose it could even lead to fewer customers for regular charter op.s (e.g.: if Molasses reef out of Key Largo got a reputation for being prowled regularly by tiger sharks, as an extreme & highly unlikely example I'm using to make a point).

This poll is not about whether you approve/disapprove of shark feeds. Or what the odds are of fed sharks accosting divers elsewhere on non-shark feeding dives (that's contentious and getting air time in other threads).

This poll is about how you would react if, while on a regular 'coral reef & pretty fish' or wreck dive, no shark feeding involved, were approached by an inquisitive and fairly large shark of a potentially dangerous species. I'll exclude great whites, since they don't seem to be involved in these feeding dives, and would be polarizing. I'm focusing on medium to large bull and tiger sharks, but also great hammerheads, the largest reef sharks and big lemon sharks.

For our example scenario, you are diving over a reef, and an 8 foot bull or tiger shark comes in, circles a couple of times, not real close and no bumping but clearly interested in you, sees you have no food and swims off.

How do you believe you would react?

1.) Appreciate the encounter - that was fun, hope you get to do it again?

2.) Appreciate the encounter, but conflicted - would be very ambivalent about wanting it to happen again. Enjoyed it, but anxiety-provoking and some risk (even small).

3.) Appreciate the encounter, but wary - enjoyed it in hindsight, but would rather that not happen due to perceived risk (however small) or simply anxiety/fear.

4.) Neutral - no strong feelings either way. Watch it come, watch it go, okay, back to reef diving...

5.) Upset about it - sharks don't usually approach divers, and this one could've been dangerous.

6.) Upset about it, and reactive - want to know why this shark approached you? Is there something going on environmentally or in human action that might be causing this? If so, you'd be concerned.

7.) Upset about it and quite reactive - want to know why this sharks approached you, and if there is a potential cause, want 'something done' about it.

8.) Strong fear - perhaps the old Jaws movie really got to you, but you are afraid of potential 'man-eaters' and don't like them in your vicinity. But you'd hold still, or go to the bottom or wreck to guard your back, not bolt.

9.) Strong fear - potential to panic, or at least make a vigorous effort to leave the area.

Richard.

P.S.: I had to abbreviate some questions in the poll; those in this posting are more fully through out.

4 four

I think I'd enjoy seeing the sharks on one a dedicated shark feeding dive, when I was there with that in mind. Being 'buzzed' by an 8 foot tiger shark on a 'normal' reef dive where I was not anticipating such an encounter, wasn't in the company of seasoned crew accustomed to dealing with sharks in close quarters, and might even have been assigned an instabuddy I just met, don't know and can't predict the reaction of, and with no PVC pipe or similar object to discourage close encounters, I'd find it quite anxiety provoking.

But assuming everyone survived unharmed, I'd be glad it happened after-the-fact and drive everybody nuts talking about it.

Then again, if we stopped at a dive site later for a regular reef dive, and somebody said 'Hey, Richard, look! There's a 10 foot tiger shark making wide circles under the boat. Probably looking for food. Jump in and take a look at it!'

Maybe if at least a few other people went in 1rst. Otherwise, too rich for my blood.

Richard.

P.S.: And that's a big maybe...

Don't know never happened to me. Kinda like asking how one would react to deadly combat. My rule of thumb with sharks is the ones you see aren't dangerous. The one you don't see is the one that takes the exploratory "nip".

I'm one of those guys who pays for the Hammerhead dive off Molokai. I'm hoping they show up. The adrenaline is worth the price of admission. :D

Actually had this scenario happen today on an Emerald dive. First jump was a hunting dive rather than a feeding one - at least half the boat had lobster on the brain. Saw one of the other divers point and there was a ~10-foot tiger shark about 30-40 feet ahead. If I had blinked or not looked that way just then I might have missed her. I didn't even have time to get off a still shot or turn on my GoPro before she turned and vanished. Some other folks on the same dive had a similar experience with a great hammerhead that was skulking around.

Aside from being bummed that I didn't get any shots of her, I was ecstatic ... I think every diver in the area might have heard me yell "TIGER!" into my reg.

Drrich, the scenario you describe happens on atleast 50% of my dives in Jupiter (without a speargun). Usually the sharks don't get very close. I can't say they are checking me out because they think I might have food, I think they are just curious. If I am hunting, then they definitely become more interested once there is fish on the stringer. I haven't had to fight off any sharks yet, but I don't shoot anything if it's really sharky. I have had reefs sharks circle me from the bottom, through my safety stop, and still circling while I waited for the boat to pick me up. I've also had a bull shark stay with me for most of my dive and through my safety stop as well. Unlike the reef sharks though, this particular Bull kept his distance.

Putting blood in the water doesn't guarantee sharks either. I have had plenty of occasions where I have shot a couple of fish early in my dive without any sharks coming to check me out. Now, the sharks may have all been busy with the Emerald buffet.. but I can't say for sure. I had another occasion where my blood was in the water (not a lot... just cut my finger), and a reef shark swam by about a minute later, but unlike the movies, nothing happened.

A few weeks back I had a 12-14' great hammerhead swim by me in about 60' of water, with vis around 40'. The shark was totally uninterested in me. I was diving solo and I swam after it trying to get a good shot with my gopro.

Drrich, the scenario you describe happens on atleast 50% of my dives in Jupiter (without a speargun). Usually the sharks don't get very close. I can't say they are checking me out because they think I might have food, I think they are just curious. If I am hunting, then they definitely become more interested once there is fish on the stringer. I haven't had to fight off any sharks yet, but I don't shoot anything if it's really sharky. I have had reefs sharks circle me from the bottom, through my safety stop, and still circling while I waited for the boat to pick me up. I've also had a bull shark stay with me for most of my dive and through my safety stop as well. Unlike the reef sharks though, this particular Bull kept his distance.

Putting blood in the water doesn't guarantee sharks either. I have had plenty of occasions where I have shot a couple of fish early in my dive without any sharks coming to check me out. Now, the sharks may have all been busy with the Emerald buffet.. but I can't say for sure. I had another occasion where my blood was in the water (not a lot... just cut my finger), and a reef shark swam by about a minute later, but unlike the movies, nothing happened.

A few weeks back I had a 12-14' great hammerhead swim by me in about 60' of water, with vis around 40'. The shark was totally uninterested in me. I was diving solo and I swam after it trying to get a good shot with my gopro.

I started going up to West Palm and Jupiter for the shark encounters long before the Emerald started doing feedings. That's where they tend to turn up. Yesterday we had spearfishers and bug-hunters on the first dive; Randy Jordan was less than 100' behind me with two or three fish on the stringer. The tiger gave them the same treatment - Alan Egan couldn't get a pic of her. Other divers reported sighting a big great hammerhead and a large bull; again it was a quick look and they were off. The only shark that hung around long enough for me to get a few (horribly bad) photos was a midsized lemon shark that cruised by on the bottom.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom