Going to be in the Ocala area... Crystal River or drive to Clearwater/Tampa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghatter

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be in Ocala next month, and have a Saturday free for diving. I'm trying to decide if I want to dive somewhere in the Crystal River area or should I drive a little more and go to Clearwater or Tampa to do an off shore dive. This is the first time I've had a chance to dive in that area so I'm not sure what the better choice is. Is the gulf in that part of Florida worth while? Would I be just as happy at Blue Grotto or Paradise Springs?

Any suggestions either way would be appreciated. My original plan was to find an operator in Clearwater or Tampa, but Crystal River is a lot closer and less expensive. I'll have all of my own gear with me, other than a tank.

Thanks!

Shore diving in clearwater is non existant basically, blue geotto is small site, bay diving is ok, nothing deep or fancy, i would go to crystal river i guess

I figured shore diving wasn't much of an option. I was planning on using one of the dive operators with a boat. :) Just wasn't sure if the bay was worth the 2 hour drive, or if I should just stick close by. Blue Grotto is only about 20 minutes from where I'll be staying, so that's going to be the closest and easiest spot.

The gulf dives here are okay, nothing great. Clearwater is also a 2 hour drive from Ocala vs 30-45 minutes for the spring sites. Personally I'd go spring diving. I'd do Rainbow River (KP Hole Park) instead of Crystal River except for that tank rental. They don't rent tanks at Rainbow so you'd have to go to Crystal river to rent anyway.

Other spring sites that might be good

Devils Den Springs Scuba Diving Resort

Blue Grotto

Devil's den is smaller and shallower than blue grotto. However, on a Saturday, Blue grotto will be packed and will likely have a lot of instructors teaching open water classes. After the first class gets in the water the visibility goes from 100' to about 5' because they always kick up a ton of silt. You won't have that problem at devil's den. If you do blue grotto you'd be well served to be waiting at the gate when they open and get in the water asap.

If you decide to come to Clearwater, here are two operators:

Welcome To Dive Clearwater!
http://www.tanksalotdivecharter.com/Home_Page.php

They fill up on the weekends, so reserve a seat in advance. I know from experience that dive Clearwater will cancel if there are any seas to speak of. 2'+ and it's unlikely they'll be going out.

The Sheridan wreck is probably what you'll want to dive on if you do come to Clearwater. Here's a video someone posted to give you an idea what to expect:
[video=youtube;Ewihh9rMHto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewihh9rMHto[/video]

Clearwater waters will be a lot warmer than the springs this time of year. You can do the gulf in shorts or a dive skin. You'll probably want a wetsuit in the springs (72f).

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I was concerned about Blue Grotto being filled with students, so I'll probably keep that in mind as a backup plan and look into Rainbow River.

If you decide to dive the Rainbow River as suggested above, American Pro and Bird's are two operators in Crystal River that facilitate dives at Rainbow River too. The drift dive in Rainbow River is enjoyable to do once, though I wouldn't repeat it again unless I was in the area and had nothing else to do.

Devil's Den is a fun site with some swim-throughs and some interesting structure in the walls. You can swim it clockwise the first dive and counter clockwise the second dive and it sorta feels like a different dive, if you use your imagination a bit. Note you'll need a buddy at both Blue Grotto and Devil's Den: they both have strict no-solo-diving policies.

I would go to Blue Grotto, Paradise Springs, Ginnie Springs etc... rather than a gulf dive. Its closer and you can get plenty of depth, more than you will need. Blue Grotto 98 feet behind peace rock (need light). To the top of peace rock is around 50-60 (no light needed). Paradise Springs 160 feet in the cave, or 100 feet in the cavern....bring a light. Ginnie Springs it depends on which sight you dive, there is Ginnie, Devils ear etc... Devil's Den is close...but you will only get 40-50 feet there (need light). Just be aware most of these dives are an overhead environment...no easy out if trouble occurs.

Last edited:
I would go to Blue Grotto, Paradise Springs, Ginnie Springs etc... rather than a gulf dive. Its closer and you can get plenty of depth, more than you will need. Blue Grotto 98 feet behind peace rock (need light). To the top of peace rock is around 50-60 (no light needed). Paradise Springs 160 feet in the cave, or 100 feet in the cavern....bring a light. Ginnie Springs it depends on which sight you dive, there is Ginnie, Devils ear etc... Devil's Den is close...but you will only get 40-50 feet there (need light). Just be aware most of these dives are an overhead environment...no easy out if trouble occurs.
Is that all you need to safely dive a cave now a days? Jesus...

If you end up going with rainbow river, call the rainbow river water taxi. If it's just you it may not be cheaper than going through a dive shop (who will likely use the same taxi), but I get a feeling they get you price wise for it.

Don't listen to everyone that says Blue Grotto and Devils Den aren't worth the time. Close to Ocala and worth the short drive. There really isn't much diving in Crystal River (though if you can hookup with someone doing a drift dive on Rainbow River it would be worthwhile). Your not that far from Manatee Springs in Chiefland (though you'll need a dive buddy). I'm diving Saturday and it might be at Manatee Springs... though more likely Troy Springs or a cavern dive at Peacock Springs...
PM me and maybe we can work something out at Manatee..
Tim

Don't listen to everyone that says Blue Grotto and Devils Den aren't worth the time. Close to Ocala and worth the short drive. There really isn't much diving in Crystal River (though if you can hookup with someone doing a drift dive on Rainbow River it would be worthwhile). Your not that far from Manatee Springs in Chiefland (though you'll need a dive buddy). I'm diving Saturday and it might be at Manatee Springs... though more likely Troy Springs or a cavern dive at Peacock Springs...
PM me and maybe we can work something out at Manatee..
Tim
Manatee is seriously awesome. It is a very fun dive with a couple different sites. Every time I've gone I've managed to hit a different cycle of wildlife (thousands of crayfish, flounder, sometimes lots of fish coming in for warmth, etc).

That and it's a state park so the entrance fee is 1/10th as much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom