Tampa area diving 2/26/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hambone10

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,

I am planning a short weekend trip to the Tampa area the weekend of 2/26, and after some due diligence I saw that most areas require a dive buddy. I was hoping to connect with someone in the area that would like to join me for a dive!

1. Preferably an area where snorkeling is allowed, as the friends I am visiting aren't certified and could use some entertainment while we are down. Both friends are HCSO Sheriffs, yet somehow don't have any friends on the dive team nor know anybody with a certification to join us.

2. I was planning on bringing my metal detector down as well if anybody is interested in trying that out.

3. Will be staying in the Zephyrhills area, but a 2hour or so drive isn't out of the question (Devil's Den, Rainbow River, etc). I have never dove any of the springs on the West coast of Florida before, and would love to be able to go if somebody is available to join me. Any tips from those who are familiar with the area as well are most welcomed, I am not opposed to diving alone in the shallows with (or without) my metal detector as well- as I will have company on the surface snorkeling.

Thanks!

-T

Hi T. I’m in Largo/Clearwater, across the bay from Tampa, and am always game for diving when someone needs a buddy. I do most of my local diving on charters out in the gulf, so not really any snorkeling there. Bradenton, and Venice further south are supposed to have decent shore diving, with bottoms around 20 ft, so that could be an option, but that would be a bit of a drive from where you’re staying and you’d probably be better off at one of the springs up north a bit.

I have never dove at Devils Den, and it’s on my list of places to go, so if you’re game, I could meet you and your buddies up there. Not sure they’d let you bring the metal detector though…

Hi T. I’m in Largo/Clearwater, across the bay from Tampa, and am always game for diving when someone needs a buddy. I do most of my local diving on charters out in the gulf, so not really any snorkeling there. Bradenton, and Venice further south are supposed to have decent shore diving, with bottoms around 20 ft, so that could be an option, but that would be a bit of a drive from where you’re staying and you’d probably be better off at one of the springs up north a bit.

I have never dove at Devils Den, and it’s on my list of places to go, so if you’re game, I could meet you and your buddies up there. Not sure they’d let you bring the metal detector though…
Hi Craine, thanks for the reply. That sounds great if you are available that weekend to venture up to the Den, I will shoot you a DM with my contact info and we can discuss details.

Thanks!

Where in Bradenton are shore dives? I have family there

Where in Bradenton are shore dives? I have family there

Anna Marie Island. The first is just north of the Cortez Bridge in Bradenton Beach called Sugar Barge. Never been myself, looks to be a decent walk from the nearest public parking. The next Spanish Rocks, I have dove this, not terribly far from a public parking area, it is on Google, but I believe it is officially in Holmes Beach.

Spanish Rocks was ok, no idea about Sugar Barge. Mike at Ocean Pro is more of a shore diver and actively does tours of the shore diving sites in the area.

Thank you!

I'm in Anna Maria for the month of February if you want to try some dives.
I just got back from the East Coast. If I get down there again for February I will let you know. I know Anna Maria very well. Got married on Bean Pt and now ex FIL had a house on the water near the fishing pier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom