Key Largo trip status

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Arrived Monday afternoon, weather was and continues to be beautiful (anything is better than 22 degrees and snow in NY). Drive from FLL to Florida City was long but worth it, nice and relaxing. A quarter mile before arriving at my hotel, I see a sign for Cracker Barrel and made a quick right....can't resist CB, especially since we don't have any where I live.

Tuesday morning met with several nice people (including Jardin, CajunDiva! Told him you guys said hi), off we went to French Reef. On our way to the first dive site, a group of young dolphins were following us and were nice enough to jump up and say hi (got some pics). Dive was approx. 35 feet, 73 degree temps and pretty decent visibility. Spent approx. 52 minutes on the dive, taking several pics and videos with my GP. Like Steve and several others said, yes it is and will be distracting when concentrating on that money shot and then looking up to see you are floating higher than everyone else, looking around for your group, and looking less at your dive computer...LOL. I focused on quickly correcting these mistakes and was able to focus better on everything around me.
to
The problem came when I got off the boat....for the first time ever, I got VERY nauseous, started gagging but didn't throw up. My core felt funny, the captain and some others gave me water (which I learned makes it worse, you need to sip something carbonated), so I wound up sitting the next dive out and talking to the captain and first mate. I was hoping by the time the boat docked I would feel better, but I didn't feel good enough to dive again. I took the rest of the day off, had lunch at Skipper's Dockside (had some ceviche and a grilled Mahi sandwich) and spent it slowly cruising down to Isla Morada, checking out The Rain Barrel (found a $100 bill!! Picked up some cool stuff for my home office and stuff for the family) and Robbie's (mile marker 77), fed the tarpon and chilled for an hour. Nice relaxing drive back to the hotel, picked up some Dramamine (another brand a CVS worker told me was popular is Bonine) and ginger ale.

Took this morning's dive off as I don't want to rush back into things yet, definitely going to the afternoon dive and hope I can keep it all together so I can do both dives. Needless to say I haven't smoked my stoagies yet, let's see how I feel tonight). Going to check out History of Diving museum, Mrs. Mac's kitchen or Sharkey's, and if time permits Theater of the Sea or Dolphin Cove.

Anyone ever get nauseous after a dive? Causes? I'm thinking may have been something to do with this radical diet, or the fact I haven't dived in a while and wasn't used to it, sea sickness, or a combination of all?

Eric

---------- Post added February 25th, 2015 at 08:51 AM ----------

After posting this, I am reading up on some articles explaining what may have happened:

1. didn't eat enough (I had a small breakfast before I left the hotel. However, I've been on this radical diet and my stomach has been for the most part empty).

2. be sure to take medication in case you are prone to motion sickness (just started taking Bonine last night, popped another one just now. Never experienced motion sickness before, wonder if it has anything to do with my body's reaction while on this diet?)

3. take ginger (snaps, etc) - (taking a small bottle of ginger ale with me to sip along the way)

4. look out into the horizon while on the boat - (I spent a lot of time chatting it up. Also, I will bet anything my constant focusing on the fishes for a good pic, focusing back to the divers around me, etc had a lot to do with it)

5. jump back in the water (captain told me would be a good idea, I didn't think so at the time but now I understand why)

11 Quick Tips for Avoiding Motion Sickness | Being Sick on the Dive Boat | Seasickness | Scuba Diving

Could have also been CO2 retention (not breathing regulary), also not relaxed enough (first time diving in 9 months), biting down and tensing my jaws around the reg (need to relax)....focusing on everything else probably tensed me up as well).

Picking up some saltine crackers as well for this afternoon's trips.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-59109.html

I'm so sorry to hear you are having issues with nausea. Unfortunately, it can be VERY common in Key Largo. I am the poster child for seasickness and can testify that it is NO FUN! Rather than waste time missing valuable dive time, I think you are wise to take something to help you get through it. And it's important to get it in your system the night BEFORE so it has time to build up in your system. (I have also heard good things about TripTone)

I'm so happy to hear you are meeting all of the nice folks at Rainbow Reef. They are like my kids :D (Yes...I am an old lady!)

Hope you are able to dive soon. Please follow up and let us know how it goes. Please give Jardin a big hug from me! Well...maybe not :wink:

Hi CD, actually today's dives went great! Took Dramamine the night before and this morning, had absolutely no issues with nausea this time. Going to follow that same pattern tonight/tomorrow morning as I plan to do a full day of diving (4 dives, MAYBE a night dive too depending how I feel).

This time our guide was Jesus, told him you guys said hi! Very nice guy, only thing I wish that he slowed down a bit. Us rookies were trying to keep up with him! We went to Pickles Reef and Snappers ledge, they were ok, nothing to write home about except saw a nice big green moray eel.

2-4 more dives tomorrow then wrapping it up, last night in KL then moving back up north to Fort Lauderdale for 1 last day/night before flying back home to freezing NY ��

Hi CD, actually today's dives went great! Took Dramamine the night before and this morning, had absolutely no issues with nausea this time. Going to follow that same pattern tonight/tomorrow morning as I plan to do a full day of diving (4 dives, MAYBE a night dive too depending how I feel).

This time our guide was Jesus, told him you guys said hi! Very nice guy, only thing I wish that he slowed down a bit. Us rookies were trying to keep up with him! We went to Pickles Reef and Snappers ledge, they were ok, nothing to write home about except saw a nice big green moray eel.

2-4 more dives tomorrow then wrapping it up, last night in KL then moving back up north to Fort Lauderdale for 1 last day/night before flying back home to freezing NY 😝

That's great to hear! Glad you are back in the water diving :D Remember, those guys are there for you - if you want to slow down, communication is key. Have that discussion...you will be heard. Have a great day today!

2-4 more dives tomorrow then wrapping it up, last night in KL then moving back up north to Fort Lauderdale for 1 last day/night before flying back home to freezing NY ��

If you did snappers ledge yesterday afternoon(weds). It was my boat that left the mooring ball so Rainbow reef could hook up. Little choppy at snappers yesterday if you are prone to sea sickness

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...apper-ledge-2-25-15-fish-fish-everywhere.html

Arrived Monday afternoon, weather was and continues to be beautiful (anything is better than 22 degrees and snow in NY). Drive from FLL to Florida City was long but worth it, nice and relaxing. A quarter mile before arriving at my hotel, I see a sign for Cracker Barrel and made a quick right....can't resist CB, especially since we don't have any where I live.

Tuesday morning met with several nice people (including Jardin, CajunDiva! Told him you guys said hi), off we went to French Reef. On our way to the first dive site, a group of young dolphins were following us and were nice enough to jump up and say hi (got some pics). Dive was approx. 35 feet, 73 degree temps and pretty decent visibility. Spent approx. 52 minutes on the dive, taking several pics and videos with my GP. Like Steve and several others said, yes it is and will be distracting when concentrating on that money shot and then looking up to see you are floating higher than everyone else, looking around for your group, and looking less at your dive computer...LOL. I focused on quickly correcting these mistakes and was able to focus better on everything around me.
to
The problem came when I got off the boat....for the first time ever, I got VERY nauseous, started gagging but didn't throw up. My core felt funny, the captain and some others gave me water (which I learned makes it worse, you need to sip something carbonated), so I wound up sitting the next dive out and talking to the captain and first mate. I was hoping by the time the boat docked I would feel better, but I didn't feel good enough to dive again. I took the rest of the day off, had lunch at Skipper's Dockside (had some ceviche and a grilled Mahi sandwich) and spent it slowly cruising down to Isla Morada, checking out The Rain Barrel (found a $100 bill!! Picked up some cool stuff for my home office and stuff for the family) and Robbie's (mile marker 77), fed the tarpon and chilled for an hour. Nice relaxing drive back to the hotel, picked up some Dramamine (another brand a CVS worker told me was popular is Bonine) and ginger ale.

Took this morning's dive off as I don't want to rush back into things yet, definitely going to the afternoon dive and hope I can keep it all together so I can do both dives. Needless to say I haven't smoked my stoagies yet, let's see how I feel tonight). Going to check out History of Diving museum, Mrs. Mac's kitchen or Sharkey's, and if time permits Theater of the Sea or Dolphin Cove.

Anyone ever get nauseous after a dive? Causes? I'm thinking may have been something to do with this radical diet, or the fact I haven't dived in a while and wasn't used to it, sea sickness, or a combination of all?

Eric

---------- Post added February 25th, 2015 at 08:51 AM ----------

After posting this, I am reading up on some articles explaining what may have happened:

1. didn't eat enough (I had a small breakfast before I left the hotel. However, I've been on this radical diet and my stomach has been for the most part empty).

2. be sure to take medication in case you are prone to motion sickness (just started taking Bonine last night, popped another one just now. Never experienced motion sickness before, wonder if it has anything to do with my body's reaction while on this diet?)

3. take ginger (snaps, etc) - (taking a small bottle of ginger ale with me to sip along the way)

4. look out into the horizon while on the boat - (I spent a lot of time chatting it up. Also, I will bet anything my constant focusing on the fishes for a good pic, focusing back to the divers around me, etc had a lot to do with it)

5. jump back in the water (captain told me would be a good idea, I didn't think so at the time but now I understand why)

11 Quick Tips for Avoiding Motion Sickness | Being Sick on the Dive Boat | Seasickness | Scuba Diving

Could have also been CO2 retention (not breathing regulary), also not relaxed enough (first time diving in 9 months), biting down and tensing my jaws around the reg (need to relax)....focusing on everything else probably tensed me up as well).

Picking up some saltine crackers as well for this afternoon's trips.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-59109.html

There are plenty of divers that would not consider diving without taking a Triptone to prevent seasickness...
Some Instructors are afraid to tell new divers to use it for rough weather--due to liability---but you soon find that this is just what divers do.

Got back an hour or so ago from this morning's dives. Went to North Fork and Winches Hole, 5-6 surges OMG!!! I went from nausea on Tuesday morning to get me back in the water today adventurer lol. They cancelled the afternoon dives though :( but FINALLY got to see a turtle!!! I've been waiting 1 1/2 years for this, I got real close and snapped some awesome pics and swam with it and took a video while I swam with it :) as a bonus got to see a nice size Ray and a couple of Groupers. Great dive, to hell with the surges I want to go back in LOL

currently at Sharkeys having......fish tacos!! Yum!!!!!

more later, great trip......

Eric

---------- Post added February 26th, 2015 at 05:31 PM ----------

Got to check out the History of Diving museum, very interesting information and you get to see the equipment that was used going way back - deep dive helmets and suits, rebreathers, gauges, early BCD's and regulators.

Making a a stop at the famous Mrs. Macs kitchen, then back to the hotel to relax by the pool and enjoy an Esplendido :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom