Box for save a dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been looking for a while for some box to store a save a dive kit... it is of a smaller/mid size (i.e. a bit bigger than a couple of o-rings and smaller than save-a-dive-store) -> out of bigger items, it includes a wrench, a few other tools and a din-yoke adaptor.

Do you have any particular recommendations? Obviously, the kit is a bit too big for a "peanut butter jar" which somebody recommended in the other thread. Carrying on the other hand a 5-tray fishing tackle box would also be too much. I am looking for something I could place in my backpack (Mares)...

I would really appreciate your comments as I really have no idea what to choose/look for :/.

Best,
Theriel

I use a waterproof Otter Box 3500. I store it in the cavernous zipper pocket on my mesh boat bag. It seems to be just the right size to fit all of my save-a-dive stuff.

My kit contains: a small adjustable wrench, needlenose pliers, one 11/16 fixed wrench, thin wrench set, allen wrench set, two screwdrivers (Phillips and flathead), Schrader valve tool, power inflater assembly tool, i.p. gauge, zipties, q-tips, exam glove, short length of bicycle innertube, CO2 cartridge, spare nuts & bolts, tire inflater adapter, some bungee cord, o-rings for everything I'd want to service in the field, o-ring picks, O2-compatible lube, port plugs, yoke insert for DIN/yoke convertible tank valve, 3 kinds of HP spools, and a spare mouthpiece. My DIN-to-yoke spin-on adapter is stashed in a ziploc bag in another pocket of the dive bag.

The Otter Box 3500 would fit in your backpack. Loaded with everything inside it feels like a 3-lb. brick. :D

Hope this helps...

I use something like this Organizer Box You can find similar items in Home Depot, Lowes, or any home improvement store.

Seawater will leak into those boxes and slowly evaporate leaving an extremely corrosive brine solution. Anything subject to corrosion will be ruined quickly in a non-sealed container.

The Otter box or Pelican boxes are like $15 or $20 and are what you want. If you have larger spares that will not corrode like mask straps, fins straps etc. then those items can be thrown in a mesh bag, and easily rinsed at the end of the day without opening them up.

Seawater will leak into those boxes and slowly evaporate leaving an extremely corrosive brine solution. Anything subject to corrosion will be ruined quickly in a non-sealed container.

The Otter box or Pelican boxes are like $15 or $20 and are what you want. If you have larger spares that will not corrode like mask straps, fins straps etc. then those items can be thrown in a mesh bag, and easily rinsed at the end of the day without opening them up.
Well most of my diving is shore diving and I leave the box in my truck, when I am on a boat, I leave it in the cabin. The only thing that I am worried about corroding in there is the adjustable wrenches and allen keys, They were all from a dollar store and when that happens I will get new ones.

Is a mask box too small?
I have stab plates for my Transpac, full tool kit to rebuild my Apeks regs, cave line, and various other stuff in there. Need bigger, bring an extra mask box...

I used to use something like the otter box but I moved to a square rubbermaid food container I had lying around. Bigger and lighter at the same time.

A 1L wide-mouth Nalgene bottle will hold a surprising amount of gear. You could possibly put everything in a one gallon zip-lock freezer bag and then put it in the Nalgene bottle.
Then you would also have a water bottle with you too.

People in the backpacking world do this with survival gear since it's a sturdy, waterproof, translucent, lightweight container.

We use an extra reg bag that we had (the soft square type). Anything metal gets sprayed with silicone, wrapped with a papertowel (also sprayed with silicone) and put in a ziplock bag. Everything else stays in it's original container or ziplock bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom