Sipadan, any one dived with Sipadan Dive Centre?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sweden78

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I am going to Malaysia in Aug, I will div in Sipadan. Has any one dived with Sipadan Dive Centre. I would like to here what you think of them. Both in diving, accommondation and food.

Thank you!

By the way does any one knows if there is worth going to layang layang also? :

Last Year in May.

Diving was great, Divermaster (Ronni ?) went to great effort to help us find the Hammerheads, Diving to 50m every morning.

Later in the day plenty of time to see whitetips and turtles.

Accomodation OK, but watch the sand flies and Mosquitoes.

Food royally SUCKS unless you are partial to noodle and cabbage mixtures.

Did you do deep dives to find the hammerheads? like did you too go to 50m to find them? Did you visit Turtle Cavern? or White Tip Avenue?

What type of diving did you do? Is it all walls? or their any wrecks there? Is it all macro or wide angle? or a mixture?

We are planning on going in September .. I just want to be ready for it.

>> Did you do deep dives to find the hammerheads? like did you too go to 50m to find them?

Yes, they are often off one corner of the island and if you dive DEEP early morning you have teh best chance to see them.

>>Did you visit Turtle Cavern? or White Tip Avenue?

Sipidan is pretty small, so in a week I think we dived in every spot at least once. Turtle Cavern was (technically) off limits since someone died in there - dont know details.

>> What type of diving did you do? Is it all walls? or their any wrecks there? Is it all macro or wide angle? or a mixture?

Mostly big stuff (wide angle) because a lot of bleached coral. The macro life is nothing much that you cant see in other locations.

There are SOOOO many turtles :wacko: and white tip sharks that you stop to notice them - hence the 50m dives looking for hammerheads.

We dove with Borneo Divers and saw plenty of macro stuff too. Although Sipadan is known for the big things, we saw plenty of frog fish, leaf fish, ghost pipe fish, tiny octopus, etc. because we asked the DM (Brian) to point out those things. Of course you see more macro at Mabul / Kapali but don't ignore it at Sipadan.

Also, I'd rate our food as fair but it may just be because I'm more used to bad dive resort food. Considering where Sipadan is, the rooms and food are decent as long as you don't expect what you could get in downtown Singapore or even Minado.

Hi,

We stayed at Sipadan Dive Centre in Nov last year, and I have only good things to say about them. Room was excellent, DM's were excellent, and the food was very nice!

The diving was terrific, although we did not see any hammerheads, but all the other big stuff you should see there, including huge schools of barracuda.

I strongly recommend them.

/Gustaf

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy only 3 weeks to go then I'll be at Sipadian yay :)

blackice:
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy only 3 weeks to go then I'll be at Sipadian yay :)

Blackice, I will be staying with SDC during Easter. Please share with us your experience when you return.

Should try Sipadan Diving Centre - Borneo Global Sipadan Backpackers & Dive Centre.. this operator provide own Sipadan Permit for daily Sipadan Scuba Diving.. check em..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom