sri lanka, port blair or maldives - 1st week of november

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robindee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi! I am leaving next Monday for India and will spend 2 weeks touring northeast areas. I have a week for diving/beach time and am trying to decide where to go.
I am advanced certified, but not a die-hard diver. I would like 1-2 dives a day, possibly a nite dive and maybe every other day. the other days it would be nice to go see something historical or spiritual or cultural. I am a single budget traveler so am looking at not only dive costs, but airfare and lodging. any suggestions? would one of these be better for visibility or weather conditions over the others? thanks for any help offered!

If you like good reef life and lots of pelagics like sharks and mantas then Maldives. Generally expensive but there are some affordable options popping up. Diving is on steep drop offs, slopes, submerged reefs and channels with strong currents. A few decent wrecks depending on location. Not much to do outside of diving if you are looking for culture, history etc. Just came back from there and viz ranged from 8-25m depending on tides and dive site. Can be 30m+ on some sites.

The popular diving area in the Andamans is Havelock Island but there are options elsewhere including closer to Port Blair. I have only dived around Havelock but in my opinion the reefs are more diverse than Maldives but you wont see as many big fish. Schooling fish action is usually very good. Mostly submerged reefs, fringing reefs and rocky pinnacles. Better than Maldives topside but somewhat limited. Usually good conditions in November. Viz varies a lot depending on dive sites and can be anything from 5-30m.

Sri Lanka beats all for topside attractions but does not match up for reef diving compared to the other two options. But still some decent diving around and might be an option if you are not a die hard diver. If you like wrecks though it is a great destination with plenty of wrecks if you go to the right place. The wrecks also have very good fish life. Reefs are rock formations and limestone ridges. Usually calm seas in November with viz ranging from 5-25m depending on dive site. Expect averaged of 10-15 on most sites.

Sri Lanka beats all for topside attractions but does not match up for reef diving compared to the other two options. But still some decent diving around and might be an option if you are not a die hard diver. If you like wrecks though it is a great destination with plenty of wrecks if you go to the right place. The wrecks also have very good fish life. Reefs are rock formations and limestone ridges. Usually calm seas in November with viz ranging from 5-25m depending on dive site. Expect averaged of 10-15 on most sites.[/QUOTE]

Thumbs up for that.
Couldn't agree more with Nishan on that comment.
Dependant on your preference Sri Lanka has the lot on offer. If your a wreck lover, Colombo is a must dive location. Colombo is also filled with alot of aquatic life so expect alot of traffic underwater :D.

Reefs diving is best at Negombo from what I have heard. South (Hikkaduwa and Unnawatuna) waters are also good for reefs and wrecks but comes at the cost of poor visibility.

There are two dive centres in the heart of Colombo which is located near a lot of budget accommodation close to the beach.

Do feel free to drop me a PM if you need further information.

Regards,
Matt

Agree with the board sentiment - Maldives for diving.

Back
Top Bottom