Hello and Help !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canbe

Reaction score
Hello from the UK to all fellow divers out there. I found this site when desperately looking for info regarding East Coast Malaysia resorts and dive sites. We're trying to plan our honeymoon for late September or early October. I am AOW but only dive a couple times a year and the "wife to be" will hopefully be recently certified OW by the time of the trip. Problem is getting nice "honeymoon" resort with good diving also. Have looked at Redang, Lang Tengah, and Perhentians but even resorts looking good on the web seem to have some horror story. (Just read about D'Coconut on Lang Tengah which looks lovely on their website but obviously isn't). Would like to stick with Malaysia as we want to combine the trip with a visit to the MotoGP at Sepang as we are also bikers. Any recommendations or advice on destinations would be appreciated. Cheers !

canbe, moved your post here to get you some answers.

and congratulations!

Try going to better dive spots which is in East Malaysia. Flights are easy from KUL. There you get the world famous sipadan/mabul/Kapalai trio, Lankayan, the wrecks at Labuan, Layang Layang. The best of all is you can make it back to watch Schumie win again at Sepang (which is an amazing track).
For less extravagant affair, the diving in Aur/Tioman is decent, as is the Perhentians. The problem is most resorts in those places are not exotic honeymoon resorts. They cater to holiday makers en masse. If you really want to stick to Malaysia, then consider just living it up in KUL at a very nice hotel. Go to Mabul for a week at Sipadan Water Village (nice rooms), Sipadan Mabul Resort (very spacious grounds for privacy) or Kapalai (sandbars galore but being developed).

September/October is not a good time to go diving is the East Coast of Penisula Malaysia. It is near the onset of the monsoon season and more likely than not, the weather will be wet. East Malaysia, on the other hand, has decent diving. I would suggest Lankayan, a small island with only 1 resort. Nice macro diving. You can also try Sipadan, though i think they will close the resorts on the island itself by the time of your honeymoon. There are some nice resorts on the neighbouring islands which offer 3 daily dives to Sipadan.

Layang-layang is also an interesting place though diving is more for the advance levels.

http://www.minangcove.com.my/

We came back from this place just yesterday. Very small resort & very very quiet, laid back but rooms are kinda basic, runned by an englishman & his malay wife. But we loved it... no crowds, clear waters, you can snorkel right off the beach, they have their own dive center too. The diving was ok, viz was good, strong current on 1 dive but we managed to see sharks, rays & turtles. We had 10 adults & 10 kids & acc to Tony the owner it's very unusual for them to have such a large group.......but don't worry we've left & we don't fore see us being there in Sept/Oct...... so it'll be nice & quiet then !!!!!

You can reach Tioman by flight that goes direct to the island or it's a 4 hr drive to Mersing where you take an hr speedboat ride straight to the resort.

Have fun !!!

Wolverine:
September/October is not a good time to go diving is the East Coast of Penisula Malaysia. It is near the onset of the monsoon season and more likely than not, the weather will be wet. East Malaysia, on the other hand, has decent diving. I would suggest Lankayan, a small island with only 1 resort. Nice macro diving. You can also try Sipadan, though i think they will close the resorts on the island itself by the time of your honeymoon. There are some nice resorts on the neighbouring islands which offer 3 daily dives to Sipadan.

Layang-layang is also an interesting place though diving is more for the advance levels.

Late September early October is actually the best time of the year to dive around Tioman - good chance to see pelagics.

However I wouldn't go to Tioman for a honeymoon - the resorts are not very romantic in general

If you insist on having your honeymoon in Malaysia, Sipadan Water Village seem like a nice place for honeymooner :07:

I once surfaced right infront of the water cottage and managed to catch a glimpse of the inside. It sure look comfy & kind of romantic to me

Check this out yourself SWV

Sounds like he wants to do a bike tour around Malaysia and get some diving done.

Does this means back pack style living conditions are acceptable and consider 'romantic'?

"Honeymoon Romantic" to me means full butler service, even while diving.

Bali is great for biking (according to friends) and definately super great for diving. With a wide range of accomodation standards. Many flights from KL to Bali.

SWV sure does look nice from the outside and photos. Was told they will be undergoing some renovations, not sure how major and when. So if you intend to go there for some peace, quiet, romance, you better ask the right questions.

Not quite right davidlkh, we will not be biking at all, just going to spectate at the motorcycle Grand Prix in KL on 10th October either at the end or the start of the vacation. The rest of the time will be for beach, bar, diving and romance ! Full butler service is my idea too but may be hard to achieve in East Coast Malaysia at a suitable diving resort which is why I sent for help. We've been to Bali and would like to try somwhere else but a good idea to look for flights out of or to KL to other destinations.

Thanks to all others for your suggestions also, we're looking at all of them. More suggestions/advice gratefully accepted.

There does seem to be a bit of confusion over weather/diving conditions at this time of year though. We were told by people here in the UK that East Coast Peninsular Malaysia would be ok but East Malaysia would not be. Now we're getting more confused...

Malaysia is split into Peninsular Malaysia on the west, and East Malaysia in the east. Right in the middle is the big South China Sea.

Generally the wet monsoon starts around September and the dive season starts to wind down for East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia. With the current unpredictable weather patterns, it may stay nice and dry for September; hard to say.

I am told Pangkor Laut on the west is very romantic and not too far from KL, but diving is probably by special arrangement. http://www.pangkorlautresort.com/

On the East Coast there is a place called Tanjong Jara Resort http://www.tanjongjararesort.com/main.htm

I have not been to both of these places, but met those who highly recommend them. If you stay at these places diving becomes the secondary activity.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom