Best place to vacation and dive in Europe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liuk3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is kind of a more specific version of a previous post. I want to dive a lot, whereas my wife does not. I'd like to do 3-4 dives per day while on vacation. My wife wants to go to Europe and relax, tour, and shop. Could you suggest ideas or your favorite places to go vacation in Europe where one can dive recereationally as well? I'm just trying to get ideas to plan a vacation, and I am not very familiar with Europe. Thanks.

Many people today are bored with the over commercialized mainstream sports and are turning to the the relatively unknown world of adventure sports. The following website gives a great deal of information on adventurous sports like diving, skying, kiteboarding and many more. It also provides the list of places where these sports are popular in and around Europe. It even gives you the list of tourist areas around Europe which your wife would find helpful. And here is the link..
Extreme Elements - Adventure sports travel & news

Italy has nice diving in the Med and on the island of Sicily, and your wife will find allot of shopping. But it is pricey to shop and dive in europe right now at 1.60 for a euro.

There is Spain, the Canary Islands.
Malta could also be a good choice.
All have good diving and offer a lot to do besides diving.

My suggestion would be Malta. You get english as a primary language and the island is small which allows you to stay in a quiet area but still have short distances to both diving and shopping areas. You can also opt to stay on the relaxed island of Gozo and just take the ferry to Valetta for the big (or rather medium sized) city stuff.

The diving ranges from good wreck diving to spectacular nature dives with caverns and similar areas. The fish life is on par with the Mediterranean in general which means less fish and less color than tropical areas. All diving is accessible by day trips no matter where or on which island you're staying.

In my opinion Malta has the best diving in the the Med and it is the only place I am planning on going back to, at least counting a diving vacation. Admittedly I haven't seen it all but my experience includes a fair number of destinations all around those parts.

It's still where you what to go,Western Europe,Eastern Europe,North or south.
You just have to find out what the wife wants to see/do.Most likely she's the boss.:D

Ken... I spent part of the summer free diving in Italy and Greece (mostly Rhodes and Crete) the summer before I moved to Catalina. Now that many of the restrictions on SCUBA have been eased in Greece, I'd love to go back to the islands. Of course there is diving to be had in the south of France and Spain, and you could always head off to the Canary Islands (which is where I'd be right now if I had accepted a nice lady's invitation... sigh).

Supposedly one of the best diving sites in the world is in Norway. Its the strongest maelstrom in the world and the nature in the area is awsome. However, shopping and Norway is two words that shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence, especially on american wages with the current exchange rates for the USD...

If you want cold water diving you really can't beat Norway both for nature dives and wrecks. However I got the impression that they're looking for warmer climate and the dreaded S-word (shopping that is), the concept of shopping in Norway makes my wallet cringe. It's so bad that I bring my own food whenever I go.

Back
Top Bottom