Indonesia Dive Resort Recomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife under her previous marriage got certified and had pressure to dive past her comfort level. She got disoriented underwater on a night dive and couldn't figure out what was up and what was down. Its side effects have lasted since I met her. I always invite her to go diving, but never add pressure to dive as to this is all about comfort. If it was a real shallow dive in warm water, she would probably do a dive or two with me.

I see this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I could be back, but there are so many other geo-locations I want to dive into, so I am trying to do this through this lens. I don't want this to be just about me, so having options if my wife doesn't choose to dive would help.

I am open to not using an all-inclusive.
I am more of a reef diver than a muck.
I would consider myself an advanced diver
Pronbably 7-10 dqys
Wife supports my want to dive - why I would like her to have options :)

I think this answers it.

Really appreciate everyone's opinions.

@Diver.Jason 7 to 10 days is not very long for all that travel. From the west coast your looking at about 18 hours of flight time alone at least not including layovers getting to and from your local airport. Plus jet lag can be a beast. I have a hard time adjusting to the time difference and even after 2 weeks I still struggle with adapting.

You sure you don't want to go to Cozumel, stay at at nice hotel and have your wife have access to all she needs? Happy wife happy life!

Don't get me wrong the diving in Indonesia is excellent and I prefer it there to anywhere else in the world. My wife is a non-diver, we used to travel to Indonesia together and have had many great trips there. When travelling with her we would usually go to Bali and I would do 3 dives a day there in the Tulamben area for about 10 days, then we would head over to Gilli Air to sit on a great beach, eat in one of the many restaurants, walk around the no cars idyllic tropical island and when she would see me getting antsy she would tell me "why don't you go for a dive this afternoon.

These days she isn't in to 36 hours of travel time door to door, so when I go I go alone. Which means I don't have to consider her needs and allows me to go where I want. Meaning I can go to isolated resorts, LOB's, or places with very little to do but dive or sit on a lounger. She is happy that I'm able to go diving where I want, and that opens doors for me to dive all kinds of places she would be miserable at.

These days I'm not so fond of travelling 36 hours to get to a location in Indo either, after many years of swearing off diving the Caribbean I took a trip to Cozumel. I really enjoyed the diving, I was reticent as I've been lucky to dive so many great places in Southeast Asia.

@Diver.Jason 7 to 10 days is not very long for all that travel. From the west coast your looking at about 18 hours of flight time alone at least not including layovers getting to and from your local airport. Plus jet lag can be a beast. I have a hard time adjusting to the time difference and even after 2 weeks I still struggle with adapting.

You sure you don't want to go to Cozumel, stay at at nice hotel and have your wife have access to all she needs? Happy wife happy life!

Don't get me wrong the diving in Indonesia is excellent and I prefer it there to anywhere else in the world. My wife is a non-diver, we used to travel to Indonesia together and have had many great trips there. When travelling with her we would usually go to Bali and I would do 3 dives a day there in the Tulamben area for about 10 days, then we would head over to Gilli Air to sit on a great beach, eat in one of the many restaurants, walk around the no cars idyllic tropical island and when she would see me getting antsy she would tell me "why don't you go for a dive this afternoon.

These days she isn't in to 36 hours of travel time door to door, so when I go I go alone. Which means I don't have to consider her needs and allows me to go where I want. Meaning I can go to isolated resorts, LOB's, or places with very little to do but dive or sit on a lounger. She is happy that I'm able to go diving where I want, and that opens doors for me to dive all kinds of places she would be miserable at.

These days I'm not so fond of travelling 36 hours to get to a location in Indo either, after many years of swearing off diving the Caribbean I took a trip to Cozumel. I really enjoyed the diving, I was reticent as I've been lucky to dive so many great places in Southeast Asia.

Thanks for your response.

I am doing the Caribbean this year. Roatan and Cozumel.

Would like to do something a little bit more exotic. I am open to other suggestions as well. We honeymooned in Fiji and did a few dives there.

I grew up diving off the coast of Southern California. After doing Roatan next week, I might want to go back. I am not sure. We like to go to other places we have not been to. So this is the reason why I am looking South East Asia. Maybe I need to stop watching those pesky YouTube Videos about all these exotic dive locations and should stay in my lane :)

I still don't understand why my kids don't want to go ... Weird generation...

Jason

I've come up with 2 options for a short trip.

First option which has great beaches, restaurants, and shopping for your wife is Gilli Air. The diving there is good but not "trip of a lifetime".
It's a wonderful island with sand roads and no cars. Idyllic tropical island type of stuff. You got to go to Bali then a boat from there. If you want to try to get your wife back diving Gilli Air is a great place to do it.

2nd option, Komodo which has the wife taking one for the team, Komodo can be "trip of a lifetime" diving. Or a land based resort there such as Scuba Junkies or Komodo Resort .I'm a Komodo fanatic and have been 4 times. If you want to try and get your wife back diving this is'nt the place. It can have some high voltage currents.

You have'nt said when your looking at going?
Komodo does have a high season and low season, which mostly affects which region has better visibility and calmer seas.

Wakatobi Resort has no shopping. It has snorkeling off the jetty or on the boats if she will do that. We don't dive and the snorkeling was incomparable on par with Raja Ampat where we later went. A snorkel guide (extra) will go with her as buddy and make sure she's on a boat that goes to a suitable spot. Great food and drink. We went in October.

I would second @FishCity with their suggestion of Wakatobi (excellent resort, very good food, and they know how to treat non-divers very well).

Other destinations:
French Polynesia
Fiji
Maldives

So my kids are all in high school, 2 of the 3 are certified divers but none of them actually want to go anywhere or go diving. I don't get it. So my wife and I are looking for a place to go for next year's vacation. Not having to pay for kids, allows for our budget to be a bit bigger. Was looking at Indonesia, and would like recommendations for all-inclusive dive resorts. My wife is certified but got narced in a lake and had a really bad experience. So I don't force the issue. I am all in on diving as much as I can. So I need a place to keep my wife busy while I dive.

Open to other exotic locations as well.

Thanks,

Jason
Kri Eco Resort has good snorkeling to keep your wife busy. Their pier is also a good shore diving spot, maybe she'll join you (you don't have to go deep there). She can also follow you to other islands next to Kri, like Sauwandarek, where the pier is also good for snorkeling or snorkel with one of the DMs from the boat while you dive. The resort also organizes day trips to some places around.

I'm in agreement here with many who have recommended Bali. My wife, a non diver, stayed with me for 4-5 days in Lembogan, we rented a villa that had an amazing view of the ocean, the distant volcano, a plunge pool. I did morning diving while she got massages and read at the pool. Afternoons and evenings, we rented scooters, visited other parts of the island(s), did some stand up paddle boarding. Prior to that we did a half week in Ubud, which was my wife's favorite place in all SEA, lots of shopping, yoga, restaurants, etc.

Thanks for your response.

I am doing the Caribbean this year. Roatan and Cozumel.

Would like to do something a little bit more exotic. I am open to other suggestions as well. We honeymooned in Fiji and did a few dives there.

I grew up diving off the coast of Southern California. After doing Roatan next week, I might want to go back. I am not sure. We like to go to other places we have not been to. So this is the reason why I am looking South East Asia. Maybe I need to stop watching those pesky YouTube Videos about all these exotic dive locations and should stay in my lane :)

I still don't understand why my kids don't want to go ... Weird generation...

Jason
Tell your kids the wifi router is joining both of you in indonesia on holiday. That may change their minds! lol!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom