Save-a-Dive Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The basic stuff: extra mask strap, universal fin strap, snorkel holder, an O-ring kit with different sizes of O-rings, dive multitool from Trident, a set pf picks for the O-rings, a few different sizes of zip ties (varying in length and width), silicone for sealing stuff, anti-fogging goo for mask, an extra LP inflator hose for my BC, a white paint marker pen, a full set of dive tables (PADI recreational dive table, Nitrox 32 and Nitrox 36 tables, air equivalence chart & DSAT table for nitrox calculations.

I also write my DAN membership # inside of the kit box's lid.

Hey Mark:

This and this are links to two similar questions. While I had a kit before I came to the SB, I have definitely modified it after reading these threads, as I think, "Gee, I never thought of that!"

Here's what I have in my kit:
  • Klein electrician's scissors (=HEAVY DUTY)
  • Small nail clippers
  • 6 inch adjustable wrench
  • Scuba multitool
  • Assorted bungee lengths and diameters
  • 10 foot section of cave line, #24 I think
  • Throwaway lighter
  • Two spare mouthpieces (a cheap one for others and a comfo-bite for me) and two zip ties for them
  • Assorted plastic keepers (for others)
  • Power inflator repair kit which includes all o-rings required, DSS Inflator Service Tool, two T&B zip ties- all in a little baggie
  • Q-tips
  • Cyalume light sticks (I dunno why I carry these but probably a throwback from my military days)
  • DSS hosehat (for someone to BORROW)
  • Two tank DIN caps
  • Three extra boltsnaps
  • One double ender
  • 550 cord
  • Two sex bolts
  • A DIN to yoke screw in insert
  • 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch hose reducer
  • Various sizes of port plugs
  • Crazy glue
  • Cristolube, 2oz.
  • Silicone lube 1/4 oz.
  • Two bicycle inner tube keepers
  • Spare o-rings
  • Mask strap, snorkel keeper, spare generic buckle, spare rocket fin/Jet fin strap- all for others
  • Mechanical pencil
  • Sharpie
  • Medium point paint marker
  • LP inflator hose blower attachment
  • Extra C-Cards
  • Tide tables
  • Valid fishing license
  • Current NC recreational Coastal Waters Guide for Sport Fishermen (fishing rules)
  • DAN insurance card
  • Various zip ties, some white, some T&B
  • Air and Nitrox Dive tables
  • Accident management slates
  • DAN emergency info tag
  • DSS Valve Knob Retainer Tool
  • DIN to yoke adapter
All of this fits in a small Pelican case. I also carry but not in the case a Pocket Mask with gloves for resuscitation during CPR and a Leatherman's for all of life's other worries. Strangely, even though I have been in prehospital emergency medicine for 17 years, I do not carry any first aid stuff aside from my Pocket Mask. To me, it's either no-kidding life or death or suck it up and you'll be fine. I also always carry sunscreen but sadly, I have never put it on so I'm either Casper or extra crispy.

The only thing I want is a small tire inflator. I may end up cobbling one together with a Napa body that has a blow gun on it and then add the LP hose end and an air chuck. I have one in my garage but it's for the garage.

And finally, everything I have in my kit I know how to use and I have used most of it either for me or others. While I am typically a hermit in public, when I see blank stares or if someone asks for help, I generally oblige up to the basic neighbor level.

I hope this helps and good luck.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Toilet paper - Most important of all
O-rings
Nail clippers
Scissors
Travel sized curved toothpick (for removing o-rings)
scuba multi-tool
flat head and phillips screw drivers
pull ties
various bandaids and antibiotic ointment
rubber gloves
Insect spray relief
benadryl
anti-nausea meds
tylenol
pseudofed
tweezers
various straps (mask, fin, snorkel)
permanent mark
several dollars in quarters
kleenex
hand sanitizer
extra mask, regulator and puck computer
duct tape
rubber bands
defogger
dental mirror
assorted clips
slates
assorted tank lights
couple of watches
noise maker
spare batteries and flashlight bulbs
silicone lubricant
extra gloves and hood
padi and ssi tables
weight belts
couple of goodie bags

I think I have used almost everything in my kit at one time or another. All this fits in a fishing tackle bag I bought at Academy.

Carrie

Back
Top Bottom