Help me shop!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuyler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My LDS is focused on the colder gear (if I need commercial drysuits I'm set). As such, I'm forced to buy from away. I'd love to be in the US and able to pop into a dive show to play with all the different brands but it's not going to happen.

I'm heading away for 16 days and really, the cost of renting equipment, of one vacation (~$400) puts a big dent in the cost of just buying gear myself A few vacations and renting will be significantly more.

So, I've been browsing around LeisurePro and looking at some gear and I've love opinions. Money isn't unlimited of course so that $1400 octopus just isn't going to happen.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:
Cressi XS Octopus ($75) - Seems to be well reviewed and lightweight
Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD with Ripcord ($400) - I like the back inflation (as a larger guy the jacket style is constricting) and it has some devoted followers as well as light for travel.
Aeris AT 400 ION DVT Regulator ($325) - Balanced, diaphragm, dry valve, nitrox (40%) and second stage adjustable
Genesis React Pro Dive Computer in Metric Console, CG3909M ($320). I considered just a straight gauge but that starts around $150 anyways. Gauge metric and nitrox compatible with 110 dive log.
Bare Elastek 3mm Full Suit ($240)

(Mask, fins & snorkel done)

So, out of that what would you change? Any bad experience with what I've put there.

Of course, with anything the best is to try the stuff out first but I' started with just getting a wetsuit before I leave - if I'm spending two weeks in a wetsuit I'd like to have been the only one to pee in it. Then I was thinking a properly fitted BCD would be nice... I know, new divers are horrible with just going out and buying things (just like new golfers) but I'm looking at 13 days of renting a wetsuit at $6/day is $78 which at the end of the day is a significant portion of just buying a nice one (in fact I could even get one from TommyD for that), then the BCD works out to $100 to rent a likely ill fitting BCD follow by $140 for a dive computer I wouldn't be familiar with.

I'm heading away for 16 days and really, the cost of renting equipment, of one vacation (~$400) puts a big dent in the cost of just buying gear myself. ... So, out of that what would you change? Any bad experience with what I've put there.
A tough question to answer, in that it requires some assumptions about what YOU might prefer, and where YOU might be diving. And, none of the gear that you picked is 'bad'. There are no obvious red flags, and it will probably serve you quite well. So, instead of a specific answer, I will offer four thoughts:
1. You have picked several different brands of gear. Where do you plan to have it serviced? Can your 'cold water-oriented' LDS service all the brands you are buying?
2. I do not understand why people buy two different second stages with their regulator. Actually, that probably isn't true - I think I do understand. They buy a cheaper octo to save money. I just disagree with the practice. So, I would buy (and have always bought) two identical second stages. Easier service, easier to swap if needed, only slightly more expensive. Something to think about.
3. I would not spend extra money on the Express Tech 'Deluxe'. The Express Tech is a great BCD. The padding package is completely unnecessary, and the deluxe harness really adds nothing to functionality, safety, or comfort. I would be more concerned with being sure I get a crotch strap. Use the money you save by not buying the 'deluxe' and get a better octo.
4. The critical element with any exposure suit is FIT. I applaud you going with a full 3mm suit. It appears that you plan on diving somewhere other than the 'frozen north', and a good 3mm suit will easily serve you well for diving in water 70 degrees and above. Since you are apparently buying everything online, make sure you get a suit that fits you well, before heading off on your 16 day trip, and using it, after which you cannot exchange it. Nothing at all wrong with the suit you selected. Just be sure it fits.

1. You have picked several different brands of gear. Where do you plan to have it serviced? Can your 'cold water-oriented' LDS service all the brands you are buying?

Hrm, excellent point. That's likely going to be a problem for me regardless. I will have to speak to them about it but that's one thing I may have to just deal with. Maybe during a trip off Island I'd get things serviced or possible have to send them away. That's just part of rural Island life sadly.

2. I do not understand why people buy two different second stages with their regulator. Actually, that probably isn't true - I think I do understand. They buy a cheaper octo to save money. I just disagree with the practice. So, I would buy (and have always bought) two identical second stages. Easier service, easier to swap if needed, only slightly more expensive. Something to think about.

That's an excellent point I hadn't thought of. It's no big deal to swap it out for the Aeris A2 Octopus ($125) and then would keep servicing easier. I gather you'd go a step further and just get two Aeris AT 400 ION DVT's. And maybe that would be a future upgrade but that's significantly more and if that's a requirement I'd be looking at doing two cheaper reg's.

3. I would not spend extra money on the Express Tech 'Deluxe'. The Express Tech is a great BCD. The padding package is completely unnecessary, and the deluxe harness really adds nothing to functionality, safety, or comfort. I would be more concerned with being sure I get a crotch strap. Use the money you save by not buying the 'deluxe' and get a better octo.

Completely agree about the crotch strap. I'd already seen a few posts and a video on that and would definitely go that route. LeisurePro did offer to sell the Deluxe one for $285 to me which made it the same price as the standard one (less if you consider the standard one only has the 44 lbs wing in stock at goes for $330). Apparently if you put a target price sometimes they'll send you a note and offer to sell the product to you for your asking price plus $10. They did this for three items that I set a watch price on. Plus that's $285 including the rip cord weight system which elsewhere runs $100 itself.

4. The critical element with any exposure suit is FIT. I applaud you going with a full 3mm suit. It appears that you plan on diving somewhere other than the 'frozen north', and a good 3mm suit will easily serve you well for diving in water 70 degrees and above. Since you are apparently buying everything online, make sure you get a suit that fits you well, before heading off on your 16 day trip, and using it, after which you cannot exchange it. Nothing at all wrong with the suit you selected. Just be sure it fits.

I'm heading to Cozumel and will be heading back to Thailand. I expect I'll do most of my diving in the south but maybe for 1-2 days in midsummer I might be able to get away with a 3mm full here (the LDS say's it's doable). The reason I'm looking at doing this now is that it'd give me time to receive the wetsuit, try it and return it if required.

Oh, and thank you. I know it's not an easy question because so much of the gear is a personal choice but helpful things like matching up the octo and concerns about the tech express vs deluxe are very much appreciated.

I'm also open to if anyone has any horror stories. From what I read it's always "stick with the known brands" but then see elsewhere that Sherwood has a bad rep and then other places where people love them. Are there any companies that are better to deal with in the long term? Service issues and the such?

Not excited about some of your choices. Personally, I would check with these folks for a BP/W set=up (you can get a great set-up for under $500):
Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
They also sell the Hog regs and intova lights that are getting good reviews. I have the Genesis React Pro and it is a good choice. For the $ LP has the Cressi Archimedes console at a great price too. LP for the wetsuit too.

...That's an excellent point I hadn't thought of. It's no big deal to swap it out for the Aeris A2 Octopus ($125) and then would keep servicing easier. I gather you'd go a step further and just get two Aeris AT 400 ION DVT's. And maybe that would be a future upgrade but that's significantly more and if that's a requirement I'd be looking at doing two cheaper reg's...
I haven't tried the Ions. I have the older model; AT400 Pro. I use one as my primary and another for my octo. I've used them for close to 4 yrs. now with no issues and they breath pretty good to me. They do breath a bit wet if I'm upside down for any length of time, but it isn't a real issue for me. I just purchased a couple HOG 1st stages for SM diving, but haven't got to try them yet. I'm going to stay with my Aeris 2nd stages for now as I'm used to them and rather like them.

That's an excellent point I hadn't thought of. It's no big deal to swap it out for the Aeris A2 Octopus ($125) and then would keep servicing easier. I gather you'd go a step further and just get two Aeris AT 400 ION DVT's.
Actually, I would, but my comment was more directed to sticking with Aeris (or, at least the same manufacturer) for both second stages. I don't know what the ION second stage costs, compared to other Aeris units. The current LP price on the AT400 DVT with an ION 2nd stage is pretty good. You might want to ask LP what they would charge to add in a second ION secoind stage. (Also, I personally do not find the DVT feature to be particularly valuable, although it only adds about $20 to the cost of the first stage so it is not a big deal to get it.)
LeisurePro did offer to sell the Deluxe one for $285 to me which made it the same price as the standard one (less if you consider the standard one only has the 44 lbs wing in stock at goes for $330).
Fair enough, then no pooint to pursue a standard. Just put the padding kit in a closet.
I'm heading to Cozumel and will be heading back to Thailand. I expect I'll do most of my diving in the south but maybe for 1-2 days in midsummer I might be able to get away with a 3mm full here (the LDS say's it's doable). The reason I'm looking at doing this now is that it'd give me time to receive the wetsuit, try it and return it if required.
Good plan on making sure the suit fits. You will be well served with a 3mm based on where you are planning to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom