Emergency Oxygen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bensontc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A couple of years ago my wife and I had some money left over in our healthcare flex spending account that allows us to use pre-tax money for health related costs. It was a use it or lose it scenario so we investigated and found that it would cover the cost of a DAN emergency O2 first aid kit. I am first aid/CPR certified and my wife is an RN but after our initial fill we are having a tough time finding someone who will do re-fills for us. Health care supply companies only want to rent their own products, not refill our tanks and the retail suppliers require some kind of extra certifications (apparently an RN isn't enough).

What do other folks do to re-fill O2 tanks. Never thought being a prepared and responsible diver would be such a pain. Any help?

Have you tried aviation supply places? Sometimes healthcare is funny about O2 unless you have a medical prescription for it.

Or possibly making up a transfill whip and getting it from your local dive shop.

Take it to your LDS and ask if they can fill it. You may have to buy an adapter for them to use, thats a lot cheaper and easier than dealing with "official" routes.

Medical oxygen is considered a drug, even though it's identical to welding or aviation oxygen. In order to get a medical tank filled would require a prescription. If your wife is friends with any docs, maybe she can get a script for it.

Reactions: Jax
I've got a couple of Bendeez adaptors that circumvent
the pin index valve for use with a standard yoke fitting.

FOR SALE?

I think it's an Aussie thing.

Or there's this.

Pin Index - Female DIN

What does your Nitrox place have, goggles and flippers.

What about your panel shop mate.

I may be baack?

Because there's always more.

Here tis.

P1010199.JPG

The hole at the top of the brass thingo permits yoke connection to your little bottle.

The fitting serves a dual purpose as shown.

But there may be even more?

P10103581.JPG

More.

The bottle is a bit old and crusty, it found me at the tip.

Only on the outside.

No more.

Very good

Last edited:
You say you are first aid/ CPR trained, have you taken an O2 provider course?
In many states a DAN O2 provider card will be enough to get your bottle filled.
Check online for an instructor in your area. After you have the provider card you might try calling the shops that cater to tec divers, they should be able to help you with O2 fills if your LDS can't ( most LDS are not set up to do 100% O2 fills even if they have the O2 bottles for nitrox)
Hope this helps a bit as O2 is a good thing to have handy.

Trying to get an O2 fill from a medical supply company is a pain. I second the advice of go find a dive shop that provides Nitrox and they might be able to give you an oxygen fill.

Weather you go to an aviation supply or dive shop, you might need to have your own adapter to fit the two pin indexed medical oxygen valve on the cylinder.

An oxygen provider certification card from DAN will also help if you have to explain why you need the oxygen.

Check out Vance Harlow's, Oxygen Hackers Guide. That will answer most of your questions.

I've had good luck at my local fire extinguisher company, that also does hydros. They hydroed and filled my O2 bottle without any questions asked. Cheap, too.

Back
Top Bottom