Currently doing PADI OW, looking into potential equipment costs/requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GiantMoray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

My Wife and I are currently learning to scuba dive and I am just looking into prices of gear (so we a vague idea what we need to spend) and the kind of things we need.

We will be wanting do dive both in the UK and abroad so will need cold water rated equipment. I was wondering what kind of packages would be good for beginners looking to get kit that will last them but not wanting to spend ridiculous amounts.

Here are a couple of packages I've looked at:

Mares Open Water Diver Prestige Package, Mares Prestige BCD, Rover Regulator
Oceanic Islander & Alpha 8 Travel Set - Small Aclamp

I'm struggling to work out how much I should be spending and if these are suitable for cold water diving.

Also how much should be expecting to pay for a dry suit? My wife especially gets cold so we'd need to be sure that was sorted!

Is £1500 realistic to buy (for one of us):

BCD, Reg, Oct, Guages
Dry Suit
Mask, Fins, Snorkel

Computer, If nescessary? I just want to get an idea so I know how much we will be looking at when we get to the point of wanting to purchase.

Thanks for your help.

In the first instance, I'd recommend looking at Ebay. The UK is brimming with decent second-hand gear.

As I write this, there's a full set of scuba kit going for £175 (up in 4 hours). Loads of BCDs, regs etc... most going for about £100ish.

Is it safe to buy second hand gear off eBay for this kind of thing as there is no way of verifying if it has been tested etc. Are their reputable sellers who sell lots of second hand scuba gear or is it just individuals?

Some things don't need a service at all - masks, snorkels, fins, wetsuits etc.

BCDs require it; but you can easily test and confirm its functionality yourself.

Regulators - I'd factor in the cost of a service for these, when you consider the price.

Other than that, normal Ebay rules apply - look for sellers that have good feedback. Ideally use ones who are local, so you can meet them. Otherwise, make contact with sellers, ask them some questions, see if you get a good 'vibe' or not.
If you use Paypal for purchases, you'll get some additional buyer protection.

Auction tools such as 'Auction Sniper' can help you win stuff without expensive bid wars.

Otherwise - if you see something you might consider buying, get a second opinion by posting about it here on SB.

Back
Top Bottom