Dive lights on airlines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harpstr

Reaction score
Cant find a definitive answer: Will a canister dive light without removable batteries travel on an airline?

There is no definitive answer one way or the other. You pack this in your checked baggage, correct? When the TSA screens it, they may or may not pass it, depending on how they feel. I ALWAYS get called back into the security screening areas in Florida and the Caribbean. They all come over and ooh-and-ahh and then rezip my bag and get it on the plane.
No one should arbitrarily remove your light from your baggage - that's flat-out theft. If it's an item-of-interest, they want to know who the person checking it is. What you can do to expedite all of this is to put a card right on top of your packed stuff saying, "Any questions, my name is Umpty Squat on Flight 007. Please page me."
You gotta realize that a lot of this newer gear is pretty esoteric to the average diver, much less non-diving airport screening people.

Ran into a regulation I'd never heard of before yesterday coming back from the Caymans. They make you take the batteries out of your light, or you have to put it in your carry on. The reason is that many dive lights run very hot when not in the water, and are now considered a possible fire hazard if they accidentally get turned on in flight. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time, just something that was new to us.

harpstr:
Cant find a definitive answer: Will a canister dive light without removable batteries travel on an airline?
Last week I flew United Airlines within the US and had no problems with my 10W HID canister light. Going out I had the battery removed, but coming back I just left it in. The screener spent about 30 seconds examining with the x-ray machine, but I was never questioned or asked to remove anything. In my bag I also had my regs, camera, and dive computer.

Hope that helps!
Jason

Go to www.tsa.gov and print the list. Way down on page 5 it says "spillable batteries not allowed" All the rest of the batteries are allowed. I print this and carry it with me. Stops them cold! Also carry, if possible, the battery inverted then it can't accidently connect itself. I carry my head in my carry on and the canister with a lid in shipped luggage. Don't want them throwing my light head around.

My Friend left for Bonaire about 3 days before me last year. She dives a Nite Rider light. The batts are not removable and they called her back when they searched her bag and made her carry it on. The big fear is that it can turn on in the plane and start a fire.

When I went through with my Halcyon 10W HID Canister light I carried it on. The lady at security though she had me until the supervisor walked up and said "good thing you carried this on. We don't allow them in checked baggage."

Dave

I have left the dive light in my checked bag and taken the batteries (4 C cell) on the plane with the carry on stuff. If asked about it I tell them I heard batteries were really expensive where I was going and pick up this fresh set at Wal Mart on the way to the airport. Comming back I usually chunk the old batteries in the hotel trash before leaving.

This has been mentioned before, but worth repeating...

When you take HID lights or other esoteric dive gear through TSA (either checked luggage or carry-on), you'll generate fewer questions if you take the page from the catalog showing that bit of gear and wrap it around your (light, cannister, strobe, whatever) with a rubber band. Make sure you circle your item, so that any non-diving security weenie who gets skeptical can compare and contrast. A picture is worth a thousand words...

Doc Intrepid:
This has been mentioned before, but worth repeating...

When you take HID lights or other esoteric dive gear through TSA (either checked luggage or carry-on), you'll generate fewer questions if you take the page from the catalog showing that bit of gear and wrap it around your (light, cannister, strobe, whatever) with a rubber band. Make sure you circle your item, so that any non-diving security weenie who gets skeptical can compare and contrast. A picture is worth a thousand words...

Thanks for repeating it! I haven't had any problems so far, but I'm planning on buying a can light this year and can foresee some. I'll have to keep this in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom