Gear Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zero

Contributor
Reaction score
The very far side of the Milky Way - Aurora, Ontar
# of dives
200 - 499
I am rather new to the sport of scuba. However, I always found myself securing the optimal configuration to excellence in that sport. This motivation is fundamental considering that my safety and my buddies safety rely on my selection and deployment of gear. I have been reading about the DIR and other extreme divers philosophies on gear and gear configuration. Considering the underlying motivation is to provide a configuration and set of protocols which make you think proactively, I can only assume that aspects of various diving practices can only assist me with my endeavours.

What I am looking for is photos of your gear setup, the type of fasteners you use to various components and how effective this configuration works for you personally. I don't want to make this request turn into a "our version is better than yours" thread. I am genuinely curious what works and why.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Zero - may I suggest (and I'm not trying to be a smart alek here) that you use the search function?

If you have a specific question about a hose, nut, boltsnap or bungee, I'm sure it's been discussed here ad nauseum.

Probably far easier than asking the world to show you everything there is to see, know what I mean? And certainly less likely to cause controversy.

I note you are a scientist.

This being the case, you may appreciate that varying environmental parameters impact equipment configurations significantly. Moreover, what works in one set of circumstances might not be optimal in another (e.g. 6 cuft argon v. 19 cuft argon v. no argon, as one example). For another, with respect to fasteners, while most technical divers use stainless steel boltsnaps warm water divers use smaller ones while cold water divers - who often have colder hands - generally use larger ones.

So, to respond within a context that is most useful to the person asking the questions, knowing things like where they are located, what sort of diving they do (freshwater lakes, caves, offshore charters) and where they are on the learning curve is really helpful. (Which means that "the very far side of the Milky Way" is rather unhelpful...) Guys will often check out someone's profile before answering to put things into context. If you fill yours out a bit, it might yield better answers :)

Best of luck with your inquiry. I suspect you'll find variation on a regional level, on an activity-based level (e.g. spearfishermen, photogs, and wreck artifact hunters will likely be configured differently), and on an ideological level (those with a team orientation seek very similar configurations, those with a more independent orientation place less emphasis on pursuing identical gear configurations). Then there are those who enter the water looking like they fell into a dive shop and it all stuck somewhere.

Best advice is to figure out what you personally are trying to accomplish, and the minimal amount of crap you have to take down with you to do it safely. If you don't need it, don't take it. If you choose to dive with a buddy, its good to be completely familiar with each other's rigs.

Dive safe,

Doc

Boogie711:
Zero - may I suggest (and I'm not trying to be a smart alek here) that you use the search function?

If you have a specific question about a hose, nut, boltsnap or bungee, I'm sure it's been discussed here ad nauseum.

Probably far easier than asking the world to show you everything there is to see, know what I mean? And certainly less likely to cause controversy.

I am in the process of searching through the realms of information posted on this and other boards. I thought asking quick question to supplement the data I am collecting through other means.

Thanks,

Jim

Doc Intrepid:
I note you are a scientist.

.... So, to respond within a context that is most useful to the person asking the questions, knowing things like where they are located, what sort of diving they do (freshwater lakes, caves, offshore charters) and where they are on the learning curve is really helpful. (Which means that "the very far side of the Milky Way" is rather unhelpful...) Guys will often check out someone's profile before answering to put things into context. If you fill yours out a bit, it might yield better answers :) ...

Doc

Although I live in central Ontario (Canada), I dive in a variety of water temperatures (warm tropical to ice cold). I'm at the point of laying out some more cash to purchase my own gear instead of renting. Currently, I plan to conduct mostly open water, some ice along with wreck dives at max recreational depths (130 feet).

Thanks,

Jim

Well, warm to cold, deep to shallow, tropic to ice and all in one rig? Well, might I suggest double 50s with twin regulators, make one a double hose because they are better and work in ice well, maybe a Speedo for tropics and a dry suit for the ice and maybe an aluminum backplate because it can go anywhere and what the heck, who needs a BC anyways. Oh, don't buy any new gear, buy only old stuff, it is better. N

Nemrod:
Well, warm to cold, deep to shallow, tropic to ice and all in one rig? Well, might I suggest double 50s with twin regulators, make one a double hose because they are better and work in ice well, maybe a Speedo for tropics and a dry suit for the ice and maybe an aluminum backplate because it can go anywhere and what the heck, who needs a BC anyways. Oh, don't buy any new gear, buy only old stuff, it is better. N

Nemrod great pics, I love it when everything is so shiney. It gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling. :D

Nemrod:
Very nice rig Nemrod.
Are the bands a special order and who made them?

Lil' Irish Temper:
Nemrod great pics, I love it when everything is so shiney. It gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling. :D

It's like a 4x4 without any mud on it. You just gotta wonder how some people do that..... :D

R..

Nemrod:

Nemrod; great pics, that set up is absolutely beautiful.

There is no school like old school.

My compliments!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom