I saw a pod of HUBs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just wanted to let you know that I finally saw a pod of HUBs, live and in person, and although nobody was getting killed, it was possibly the funniest SCUBA-related activity I've seen in a very long time. It was on St. Thomas or St. MAarten (don't rememebr which).

The dive (HUB?) op had a bunch of hubs, and had tied a dive float to each one (the big innertube floats, not the little beachball things) on a few feet of rope, and I believe weighted the botton, since they all seemed to be vertical at all times.

Anyway, it was a hoot to watch. It was like "Underwater Bumper Cars" with all these people riding their HUBs around each other. Although I thought I'd never say this, I think it looked pretty safe, since the MOD was about 6 feet, and they always stayed vertical.

The float was a great idea, since I did the displacement calculations once and found that it would take way over 300 pounds to sink a full-size innertube.

Anyway, I though you folks would be interested, since I always assumed the HUB only existed as a PhotoShop image.

Terry

You mean the Mares HUB or those weird scooter things you poke your head into?

You guys really got get off this anti-HUB hatred group/cult thing. You know there are more pressing issues in the world then a questionable choice in gear selection.

ScottZeagle:
I thought the wierd underwater things were BOBs?
Yes.. but I'm having trouble picturing a group of divers with their BC's tied to tubes on the surface.

I shouldn' be surprised by *anything* in this industry :wink:

Tamas:
You guys really got get off this anti-HUB hatred group/cult thing.
You know there are more pressing issues in the world then a questionable choice in
gear selection.

hey, i'd love to try it sometime, just for fun

looks like a combo moped/minisub!

(and i don't think he said what you think he said :wink: )

(to be fair, i don't think he said what *he* thinks he said either)

Well, as long as you guys don't start an anti-BOB hatred group/cult thing, I guess I'm cool with it ... :wink:

... BOB :)eyebrow:)

Back
Top Bottom