How old is too old for AL80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dimitrik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an opportunity to pick up a Catalina AL80 for about $70. The last hydro was 7/04 with an original hydro back in 1986. I guess the question I have is.... Will this tank last or am I going to have problems getting it hydro tested in the future due to it's age? I don't really need a tank, but for $70 it would be nice to have assuming I don't have to replace it when the next hydro is due.

Thanks
Dimitri

As long it is not one of the tanks that needs to be taken out of service, the service time of an AL80 is almost indefinate. Of course, it needs to be taken care of. FYI - the navy is considering moving out their hydro's to every 27 years as visual inspection has been so successful at detecting potential failures. You will have no problem getting a hydro done. - just make sure it is not Aluminum Alloy 6351.

At least the hydro is recent and it's not a Luxfer, 1986 would make it one of the bad alloy tanks. $70 for a 19 year old AL tank with unknown history doesn't seem like such a great deal though, when you can probably get a new one for 125-150max.

I have several aluminum tanks that are made from the 6351 alloy. They all still pass visual & hydro every time they are checked. The problem with that alloy is "sustained load cracking". That is, cracking due to being kept under constant pressure. There have only been 2 or 3 SCUBA tanks of that alloy explode. ALL OF THEM were out of hydro & hadn't been visually inspected for quite a while. It might interest you to know that that is 2 or 3 out of over 20 MILLION tanks.

The cracks that appear do so slowly. They will be visible for 2-3 years before the tanks blow.There has NOT been a problem catching them when the tanks are visualed every year.

Yes, I know, "it's not worth the risk" and "no shop will fill them" ect. Well, living is a risk. In fact, you have a ZERO percent chance of getting out of this life alive. I fill them. Oh, and I own the scuba shop. I also am a trained visual inspector AND a licensed HYDRO facility.

If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the tank if you want it. Of course, that's just me, To each his own.

Bad punctuation on my part. I was saying it wasn't one of the bad alloy tanks, as it wasn't a Luxfer (or the others that used that alloy.)

I reread my post & it looks like came across badly. I apologise for that & I have corrected it. I didn't mean to come across as condesending towards anyone. I just have a different opinion about the situation.

Make sure the that the LDS that does the VIP is doing a Visual Plus on the neck. This will detect any cracks way before they are visual to the eye. You can't be sure what the previous owner has done to the tank, but a good VIP should tell a lot. The biggest killer is those sustained loads. I have 3 AL80, one thats 28 years old and two that are about 23 years old. Take care of the tank, and the tank will take care of you.

Take Care,
Bill

Last Weekend on an FGB trip, the boat crew announced that they will not fill any tank with a stamped date prior to 198? (I think it was 85 but didn't catch exact date). Also, I did not hear them specify Al (my hearing is poor) but I assumed that is what they ment. This may new a new step in tank fill safety.

If you are ever planning on going to Florida with it, buy a new or a steel tank. They are VERY touchy about AL80's, but will fill a steel to what ever pressure you want.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I passed on the tank. I will probably just get a new one from Scubatoys delivered for around $130. I figure it's a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Back
Top Bottom