Quick (5-day) Trip Beginning of August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solasassn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm sure this is a fairly common question, but I'm trying to decide on a location for a short, 5-day, dive trip the first week in August. My girfriend is in Grad school in San Francisco, and I have limited vacation from my job in NY, but we both love diving and this is the one "week" we can both take some time an go for it.

So given the time of year and length restrictions, where should we go? My thought right now is Cabo, but I can be convinced to go somewhere else as long as its not too far, and water temps are not too cold.

Thanks!

I'm sure this is a fairly common question, but I'm trying to decide on a location for a short, 5-day, dive trip the first week in August. My girfriend is in Grad school in San Francisco, and I have limited vacation from my job in NY, but we both love diving and this is the one "week" we can both take some time an go for it.

So given the time of year and length restrictions, where should we go? My thought right now is Cabo, but I can be convinced to go somewhere else as long as its not too far, and water temps are not too cold.

Thanks!

What do you want to do on the trip besides dive?
Cabo is a party destination with some diving..... very different than going to a dive destination.
What airport are you flying out from? Are you planning to meet there or are you flying to CA or is she flying into NY?
Do you have a budget in mind?
Where have you been diving already and what do you like?

First week of August is in the middle of hurricane season in Caribbean. You can get some great deals as prices are lower then, but you are taking a chance on bad weather.
Cozumel is the cheapest place to go, but it all depends on the airfare issue.
Hawaii is closer to her, and doable for such a short trip, but it is $$$.

robin:D

Diving would be the primary focus, we enjoy good food and drink as well. I love fishing, but would only consider it as a surface activity on the last day before we fly out to get the 24 hours in.

Been diving in Hawaii, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Playa del Carmen/Cozumel plus some others that are too far away to matter (Australia, Thailand, etc.).

Budget is flexible, but not unlimited. Nothing specific in mind. I feel like Hawaii is out more because of the length of flight for me than $$$.

Good point on hurricane season. Willing to take a little risk. but given our scheduling diffiiculties, I really want to be able to dive that week rather than doing trip insurance and re-scheduling.

Bonaire is my latest thought in terms of options.

I'm sure this is a fairly common question

Yes, it is. :search: Your 5 day duration is more of a common denominator than you might suspect.

Do you have a budget in mind?
.....................:lotsalove:

Budget is flexible, but not unlimited. Nothing specific in mind. I feel like Hawaii is out more because of the length of flight for me than $$$.
.....................:confused:

In exact dollars, then, what's the upper limit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom