VERY Confused by SWISS airlines site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KShezz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody know anything about the intricacies of SWISS airlines and their baggage system?....they appear to class dive lamps as dangerous because they heat up and *might* be requesting I download and fill in forms beforehand to 'declare' these items....does this declaration immediately mean you can take them with you..or that you *might* be allowed to take them with you?...and since they are declared are they supposed to be an hand baggage for inspection?...if that so would the batteries need to be in them so they can be assessed because normally you are not allowed batteries in your hand luggage...?????

and after the change in Zurich we will be on EdelWeiss airlines...who I have never heard of...will they also require pre-filled in paperwork or will the stuff from the first flight be enough...and does anyone know if the bag will remain checked in overnight or if we have to collect it back and re check in the next day?

Well the rules on the Swiss site are similar to those applied by other airlines and are the reason I simply stopped flying with my DIY canister light.

• Consumer electronic devices with lithium ion cells or batteries (max. 100 Wh)Only in hand baggage
  • Replacement batteries for portable electronic devicesSpare batteries may only be carried in hand baggage.
    Maximum of 2 batteries of 100 Wh to 160 Wh output and only by prior registration.
    Batteries over 160 Wh are not allowed.
  • Heat-generating equipment (battery-operated underwater and diving torches, soldering irons)
  • Only in hand baggage and by prior registration

My DIY light has a 12V x 9.6Ah sealed gel type battery and I was repeatedly warned that at 115Wh I was pushing the limits. After a couple of major arguments to get through security at various airports I decided to stop getting stressed. Fortunately this was around the time that decent LED lights were becoming cheaply available. I standardized on lights that use 26650 batteries, the top end ones being 4V x 5Ah = 20Wh. Even carrying 2 or 3 lights and a few spare batteries I never again had an argument at security.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom