Wear BCD thru security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robiwan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, noobie here, and going to Aruba for first time end of this week.
Reviewing all the posts about carry on vs check bags, etc., has anybody ever tried to wear their BCD like it was a normal vest thru security on onto the plane, then stuff it in the overhead compartment?
Maybe I am a little crazy, but I do scuba dive....that make sense.:D
TIA, Robi

Hey, noobie here, and going to Aruba for first time end of this week.
Reviewing all the posts about carry on vs check bags, etc., has anybody ever tried to wear their BCD like it was a normal vest thru security on onto the plane, then stuff it in the overhead compartment?
TIA, Robi

I once saw somebody board a plane out of Miami, headed for some dive destination, wearing her BC. Looked pretty odd. And this was many years ago, before 9-11 and the increased security measures.

The fact that it could be mistaken for a suicide bomber's vest might make me a little nervous wearing it around airports. If you see a little red laser dot on you, stop what you're doing.

Just tell them it's a photographers vest with intergral spinal support.

Manually inflate it and show them how much more comfortable and supported you're going to be while seated in that crappy airline seat.

the K-arry On

Hey, noobie here, Reviewing all the posts about carry on vs check bags, etc., has anybody ever tried to wear their BCD like it was a normal vest thru security on onto the plane, then stuff it in the overhead compartment?
TIA, Robi

I gotta ask: Why?

1) First: You're gonna stink.
2) Then you're going to attract TSA attention.
3) You will look dorkier than any of the rest of us dorks.

Hey! Why not the entire wet suit, regs, mask, fins, snorkel. You could tell them you are traveling to a Halloween party.

I gotta ask: Why?

1) First: You're gonna stink.
2) Then you're going to attract TSA attention.
3) You will look dorkier than any of the rest of us dorks.

Nobody's going to steal your used dive gear- certainly not out of baggage. Just put several name tags on and in your bag with your final destination info, hotel, etc. That's how bags get lost- the airline tag gets ripped off. Put your destination on the tags in big letters. Have another tag with your home info as well for the return trip.

My suggestion is to get that Boston college student's schematic for LED display and attach to B/C to make sure TSA does not miss it. Also, get some appropriate color play doh; so you have something to entertain yourself while waiting in line. Make sure you have some short wire too so you can make accurate lines and curves in the play doh. Can alos be used for whiskers if sculpting animals. Also, make sure other people on the trip take lots of pictures and keep good dive logs so they can tell you about the trip when they get back and they can find you!:D:D:D:D

Just joking!

Like other I have seen it before 9/11; some manufacturers make backpacks that will hold the B/C if you really want to carry it on. I think Oceanic still makes one. But you may be asking for extra attention. Not to mention having to repack you bag multiple times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom