Dive Travel Agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LauraLynnee

Reaction score
My husband and would like to go on vacation in a few months to the Caribbean, more than likely Bonaire or Turks & Caicos, and I've been considering using a travel agency. Has anyone found a good one that understands the needs of divers? Any reason to recommend/not recommend using one? I've never used one in the past so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Laura

My husband and would like to go on vacation in a few months to the Caribbean, more than likely Bonaire or Turks & Caicos, and I've been considering using a travel agency. Has anyone found a good one that understands the needs of divers? Any reason to recommend/not recommend using one? I've never used one in the past so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Laura
there are several good ones:
Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations
Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures
Island Dreams Travel scuba diving vacations, cozumel scuba diving, dive travel, dive resorts, diving trips
Ultimate Dive Travel - Scuba Diving Tours - Scuba Dive Vacation

I would say that any of these would get you a nice trip, most of the time at a much better price than you can do yourself. Sometimes it is the same price but they save you the hassle. They also can help you with airlines and schedules if you aren't comfortable with doing that yourself.

You really don't need a travel agent for dive trips, especially to the Caribbean. The only time I ever used a travel agent was the one and only time we went to an all inclusive in Jamaica. The online agent had a deal that basically got us a $600/nite room for $350/nite.

Personally, I love planning my own trips. I could never trust a travel agent to research the possibilities to the extent that I do. There are a couple of websites out there that will help you track airline fares before you buy and help you get the lowest fare possible. Sites like Yapta.com and Farecompare.com.

I've looked at what the agents like Cardonna have to offer and while they are certainly fare deals, the location and type of diving has not interested me. So I think it also depends on what level of independence you have as a diver, and the length of time that you plan to spend on the trip. I have seen a lot of good deals but they are for 1 week vacations with only 2 tank dives per day and such.

Scubaboard is a huge resource for travel planning and I have never been led astray by the advice and suggestions to my travel location questions.

Last edited:
I have used Caradonna in the past for trips to Bonaire and was always happy with them but once you get the hang of it booking yourself it's the same price or less and IMO less hassle. I can easily book rooms/diving/vehicle with one or 2 emails or phone calls. Air is now so easy to book on line there is just no need for the agents. I book trips for myself and groups to Bonaire every year.

I've used Dani @Aquadreams in the past, she's a diver and has been to most of the places she recommends. For Bonaire, you might also consider BonairePros.com.

We utilize tour operators, and take direct bookings ourselves. Caradonna is great for getting good prices including airfare.

Personally, if you are coming to Bonaire, I would talk with the local dive resort you are interested staying in. Sometimes you can get a good deal, especially during low season, and then book the airfare yourself. It all depends on what is out there. I would check with both, then decide.

Liz

We usually just book it ourselves since it is now so easy online. We just booked a trip to Bonaire in September - using FF miles so we just had to call the resort and book. One phone call and it's done.

I have used Island Dreams in the past and were happy with them.

considering using a travel agency. Has anyone found a good one that understands the needs of divers?

We've booked ourselves on many trips and used Carradonna (through Sydney @ The Scuba Connection) for 2x Bonaire & 2x Curacao with great results. They know how to handle dive resorts and whatever goes along with dive trips. Sometimes it is more peace of mind knowing that if there is a problem, someone with a little clout is there to back you up.:14:
Tom & Isabelle

I don't generally use a travel agent for Caribbean trips. If you're simply booking a resort in a mainstream place on which there is lots of information available, and a simple air itinerary, it might be less trouble and same price to book it yourself. If you're going someplace off the beaten track, or need to deal with some of the regional airlines that may have issues like lousy web presence, poor or no online booking, unreliable schedule info, whatever, then there can be a real advantage to an agent that keeps on top of this stuff.

Agents are also handy if you're short on time, unfamiliar with travel planning, unfamilar with a region, or just don't like doing it. BUT - still educate yourself as much as possible on where you are going, places to stay, and how to get there, as it's the only way to make sure an agent is planning the trip that suits you best.

For the Pacific region, I've come to the conclusion using an agent more often makes a lot of sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom